Gibson Brands Forums

What Was It That Got You Into SG's?

darling67

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was using a Gretsch Country Gentleman back in the '60's. I was a lead player, & was getting better at it. I wanted a guitar that allowed me access to the upper frets. I saw an SG in a 1961 Gibson catalogue, & thought that it would do the trick. I ended up selling the CG & buying a 1969 SG Custom new in '69, when I was a Junior in high school. Have had a nice love affair with SG's ever since. It's very cool that I still have the '69 today, & never sold it off. It's still a beauty!

And I'm definitely falling in love with my new Captain Kirk SG Custom! Been using it regularly for about a month now.

MeZadude

Robby Krieger!

Same here, doors4ever...

I was playing a Strat at the time I saw "The Doors" movie in... 1990? I decided right then and there that I needed to have that guitar that Robbie Krieger was playing (well... the actor who was playing Robbie! LOL!). Never looked back! Soon, I began to see just how many more of my favorite guitarists were playing/had played SG's.

I plan on buying a 2014 Special sometime towards the end of January. I'll have three SG's—nearly 50% of all guitars I'll own.

Back in 1974 I was in the getting ready to enter the 9th grade and somehow managed to save up enough money to buy a Gibson.

A look in the paper showed a red SG Standard with Schaller tuners for $400 and my mother gave me a lift to take a look at it and I came home with the best SG I've ever encountered. From doing a little poking around on the internet I'm pretty sure it was a 1974 model as it had the small pick guard, speed knobs and the Nashville tune-o-matic bridge. That guitar just had the most astonishing sound to it and beautiful wood grain.

From what I remember the fretboard looked and felt like ebony.

Like an idiot, I sold it back around 1980.

Fast forward to 2010 and I picked up a really nice SG Classic and the Faded TV Yellow Special.

The Special is gone but the Classic is a keeper.

It's a nice guitar but I really miss that old $400 Standard.

Always loved the strat feel, but need that humbucker sound. Bought an Epiphone G-400 Pro, and couldn't believe how everything came together for me. So once the Gibson 61 reissue came down to $899.00 on Sweetwater, I jumped on it and love it more than my Gibby Les Paul Traditional Pro, which I thought was God. THIS SG is the main axe for the rest of my life, I could not possibly be happier.

Incidentally, the Epi SG comes EXTREMELY close to the same quality and has better finish.

This is an interesting thread, but I've come to bond with my SG for an entirely different reason. I've been an acoustic player for over 40 years and have started playing electric in the last few years. I have some arthritis in my left hand (rh player) and thought an electric may allow me to play longer sessions. My assumption was correct but I knew literally nothing about electrics. I did know my Gibson J45rw was my easiest playing acoustic with its short scale length and 1 11/16 neck so I thought I'd stick with that neck.

I started with a $100 Epi Les Paul but that didn't do it for me (although it is great for playing slide). Next came my ES339 thinking a semi-hollow body would be a little more "acoustic", but it just doesn't speak to me. Not wanting to spend a lot of cash while determining what I like I found a well used, $400 SG. It needed some action work and intonation which I took care of and now it ROCKS! My wife nicknamed it the Soiled Dove due to its condition, and it is now my every day player.

It's quite likely this won't be my last SG, but this one isn't going anywhere.

I did trade an acoustic for a G&L f100 reissue (can I say that here?) and it is a superb axe, but it only comes out of the case on weekends. Day in, day out my SG is now my main squeeze and now I know what you guys see in them. I've even lost the desire to try a Les Paul. Great neck, light weight, perfect balance, sounds great from clean to dirty...I just love the Soiled Dove!

• 3 weeks later...

As I can remember like it was yesterday, I was 9 years old. My Father would take me to guitar center in mid-town Portsmouth. I would walk fast to the guitars that was hanging up at the glass counter. I would go right to the Gibson SG Standard, cherry red finish, Lyre tremolo on it... the sales man would take it down and let me hold it... I remember that I was so careful not to drop it, scratch it... I would just dream of having this guitar and now it was in my hands.. When I first saw the Gibson SG, I knew that was the Guitar I wanted.. It all of a sudden became part of me.. just like music, it becomes the blood flowing through my veins. I have never owned any Fenders... Never had a desire too.. and never will.....

Moving forward about 45 years...

I am now the Proud owner of a 1970 Gibson SG Standard with a Lyre tremolo system, Cherry Red, in a 9.8 out of a 10 condition.. only played about an hour then placed under a bed for years and still in case and not used... has only one small finish crack in it about an inch long... no cracks or repairs.... I pull this SG out o the case once a year or so, and I still get the same feeling as I did when I was 9 years old... go figure that one out... The SG is there or my pleasure and all I can do is worship it... ( I need help ) LOL Now I'm sure you all will understand this one... I would rather sleep or play with my guitar.. than to have sex.. now .. am I right?? Take a poll on that one...

Ok.. better go before writing a book here... hehehehehe

Nice SG, Guitar-Slinger!

I have come to realize that I may end up with almost ALL SG's. I have two now (a 1991 Standard and a 2013 '50s Tribute)… and my next guitar will be one of the new 2014 models—probably a Special. If not, then a model with a factory-installed tremolo. There are enough "configurations" I can come up with to keep getting SG's and have them all different.

I don't care if I never acquire another brand/model of electric guitar (6-string) for the rest of my life!

:rolleyes:

Why only once a year?! :unsure:

CB

I'm afraid if I take it out anymore than once a year, then I might end up leaving her out... trust me, she is a real beauty... and even my white Epi Les Paul Custom SG.. is a real beauty... But in all reality .. whose gonna care after I'm gone... Whoever will be posting it on E-bay for 100.00 dollars... you feel me?? LOL But, I would play it, I just don't want to scratch the pick Guard... I believe that '67 through 70 were the last of the great Gibsons at that time... The they changed the wood or the finger boards... I forget... LOL

Nice SG, Guitar-Slinger!

I have come to realize that I may end up with almost ALL SG's. I have two now (a 1991 Standard and a 2013 '50s Tribute)… and my next guitar will be one of the new 2014 models—probably a Special. If not, then a model with a factory-installed tremolo. There are enough "configurations" I can come up with to keep getting SG's and have them all different.

I don't care if I never acquire another brand/model of electric guitar (6-string) for the rest of my life!

:rolleyes:

Yea.. I know what you mean... I love SG's.. Gibson has always been my first love and nothing could ever come 2nd to that... I have been upset that the Federal Government has come down on Gibson... and I have signed petitions for the G-men to stop.. Don't know if you have heard about that....

Hey.. I have owned a few Les Pauls... Back in 2001 or around that era.. I went to Alpha Music In Virginia Beach to buy a SG.. But I ended up walking out the Door with A Les Paul Custom The wine color..was a very nice Guitar but was heavy.. Then ended up with 3 Les Pauls... Sold them and bought me an Epi SG... which is a very nice SG custom.. the white and gold trim.. 3 pups.. and the lyre vibrato.. nice.. Have a Jay Turser... which is not bad... that is a very pretty guitar.. Purple burst...

Yea.. I know what you mean... I love SG's.. Gibson has always been my first love and nothing could ever come 2nd to that... I have been upset that the Federal Government has come down on Gibson... and I have signed petitions for the G-men to stop.. Don't know if you have heard about that....

Yeah, I heard how they were raided over illegally-acquired or woods that are under protection.

I have to say, as much as I love Gibson, I respect the protection of endangered natural resources and was surprised that they continued to source woods even after they knew they'd be considered "contraband". What IS utterly ludicrous about the "Lacey Act" is that it's retroactive(!). You could be traveling with a vintage guitar that was made pre-Lacey act, and it could be confiscated at customs because it was made with then-legal woods!

[thumbdn]

I'll never stop buying Gibson guitars, regardless… and, in all fairness, I wish they'd get their day in court.

I'm afraid if I take it out anymore than once a year, then I might end up leaving her out... trust me, she is a real beauty... and even my white Epi Les Paul Custom SG.. is a real beauty... But in all reality .. whose gonna care after I'm gone... Whoever will be posting it on E-bay for 100.00 dollars... you feel me?? LOL But, I would play it, I just don't want to scratch the pick Guard... I believe that '67 through 70 were the last of the great Gibsons at that time... The they changed the wood or the finger boards... I forget... LOL

Well, while I understand your concerns, for keeping it's appearance...guitars are made to be

loved, by being played, not hidden, or cased all the time. IMHO [biggrin] My own guitars

are all in excellent shape, even though some are 30 to 50 years old! But, they ALL get played,

on a pretty regular basis. I have a few, that I play "out," with...the remainder being played

here at the house. But, even my "work-horse" guitars are well taken care of. It's just my

preference. If they do get a "ding" or worn area...at least it's an honest one, and not pre-

fabricated in the factory, at a substantial premium price! [tongue] LOL [biggrin]

So, I would recommend, that you take that lovely "Vintage" SG out, more often! [thumbup]

You'll be glad you did!

CB

Yeah, I heard how they were raided over illegally-acquired or woods that are under protection.

I have to say, as much as I love Gibson, I respect the protection of endangered natural resources and was surprised that they continued to source woods even after they knew they'd be considered "contraband". What IS utterly ludicrous about the "Lacey Act" is that it's retroactive(!). You could be traveling with a vintage guitar that was made pre-Lacey act, and it could be confiscated at customs because it was made with then-legal woods!

[thumbdn]

I'll never stop buying Gibson guitars, regardless… and, in all fairness, I wish they'd get their day in court.

I know... isn't that something.. geeze.. I was really upset when I found out .. first our guns... now our Guitars!!!! I really don't believe that Gibson has done any wrong doings... not because I AM a big Gibson Lover... But because they cherish their reputation... The laws are very different in other countries... even on woods.. and Gibson was compliant with the Laws of India when the woods were purchased.. But I will buy Gibson just to support them... Sad.. even that we can have out SG babies taken away from us if we try to leave the country... that is soooo ludicrous. I also wish they would have their day in court also...

GOD... GUNS... & ... GUITARS !!!!

Well, while I understand your concerns, for keeping it's appearance...guitars are made to be

loved, by being played, not hidden, or cased all the time. IMHO [biggrin] My own guitars

are all in excellent shape, even though some are 30 to 50 years old! But, they ALL get played,

on a pretty regular basis. I have a few, that I play "out," with...the remainder being played

here at the house. But, even my "work-horse" guitars are well taken care of. It's just my

preference. If they do get a "ding" or worn area...at least it's an honest one, and not pre-

fabricated in the factory, at a substantial premium price! [tongue] LOL [biggrin]

So, I would recommend, that you take that lovely "Vintage" SG out, more often! [thumbup]

You'll be glad you did!

CB

Hey CB... You just gave me an idea.... I may just go and look for a nice display case for her... then I can see her all the time... It is healthy to play her so the wood can breath .. But I have had her all these years.. and she looks sooo good... I have aged... But she hasn't... LOL Soon as I Figure out how to post more pictures, I'll post more pictures of her and my acoustic 261 amp.. I am going to take her out today... give her a good check up... may play her a few minutes then put her back in her time case...

Hey CB... You just gave me an idea.... I may just go and look for a nice display case for her... then I can see her all the time... It is healthy to play her so the wood can breath .. But I have had her all these years.. and she looks sooo good... I have aged... But she hasn't... LOL Soon as I Figure out how to post more pictures, I'll post more pictures of her and my acoustic 261 amp.. I am going to take her out today... give her a good check up... may play her a few minutes then put her back in her time case...

Storing it in its case is preserving it. If you put in a display case, UV radiation will yellow the finish. In addition to preventing physical dings and environmental gunk build-up, the case insulates the guitar against changes to temperature and humidity. In short, your guitar's Dorian Gray appearance is in large part due to the fact that it sits in a case. Putting it in a display case will accelerate its aging process, but it'll be pretty to look at. And playing the guitar doesn't help the wood breathe. There's not a thing in the world that is going to help wood breathe through a coat of nitrocellulose lacquer.

I think you should hold onto your OCD ritual of touching this guitar for but a few minutes each year. It's borderline crazy, and the world needs more of that.

Watching The Who playing Woodstock, then probably the original Alice Cooper band. Can't remember which came first.

Cooper hit big in 1970, right after Woodstock. I really wanted one of these white SG (Les Paul) Customs and have liked white SGs ever since. Saw the original Cooper band but can't remember if they used those SGs. Had a white SG in the early 80s with the block inlays and Super Humbuckers but sold it. I'm trying to make up for lost time recently.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d.jpg

Storing it in its case is preserving it. If you put in a display case, UV radiation will yellow the finish. In addition to preventing physical dings and environmental gunk build-up, the case insulates the guitar against changes to temperature and humidity. In short, your guitar's Dorian Gray appearance is in large part due to the fact that it sits in a case. Putting it in a display case will accelerate its aging process, but it'll be pretty to look at. And playing the guitar doesn't help the wood breathe. There's not a thing in the world that is going to help wood breathe through a coat of nitrocellulose lacquer.

I think you should hold onto your OCD ritual of touching this guitar for but a few minutes each year. It's borderline crazy, and the world needs more of that.

Hey SG50...

I believe that you are right about storing it in the case does preserve it.. yes... I'll have to keep it stored there and then make a visit every weekend... My SG looks like new or even better than new... no rust.. scratches.. nicks.. breaks or anything but one small finish crack about an inch long.... But I believe I'll start doing that.. thanks...

Archived