Gibson Brands Forums

What Was It That Got You Into SG's?

darling67

I know... isn't that something.. geeze.. I was really upset when I found out .. first our guns... now our Guitars!!!! ...

Well, I'd be far more upset at the confiscation of a guitar than a gun. [wink]

Looking forward to seeing pics of that SG of yours! You may need to use photobucket, etc. The file attachment limitations here are rather harsh.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'd be far more upset at the confiscation of a guitar than a gun. [wink]

Looking forward to seeing pics of that SG of yours! You may need to use photobucket, etc. The file attachment limitations here are rather harsh.

I've been trying to use photobucket but can't figure out how to get the img address into the forum here... it doesn't give me the address.. hmmmmm

I've always loved this guitar, but the first time I saw it was 30 years ago, in Angus' hands (I'm a AC/DC fanatic). When I got divorced five years ago, I decided to do what I always wanted: play the electric guitar. I went to the store, with the idea on my mind of buying a fender stratocaster (a guitar that everybody told me was "versatile" and appropiate for blues, rock, and almost every style of music). I was checking out an american standard strat, and suddenly I saw the SG hanging on the wall. It was exactly as I used to imagine: the look, the gloss, the sexy form. I just needed a couple of minutes playing it to make a decission. Now I own 2: a 61 Reissue cherry, a Standard 2013 white that I purchased at September, and 'm thinking on buying another one in black.

• 4 months later...

Tony Iommi definitely

For many years I was set on having a Les Paul Standard. After owning many Epi Les Pauls and SGs, I decided that I absolutely hated SGs, and went to get a Les Paul at Long & McQuade. While there, I tried so hard to dislike the SG, but nothing could tear me away from it.

After spending a good 3 hours looking at every high end electric they had in the store, the SG was the one. The only guitar that I've ever played that plays better than my 2013 SG Standard was a 1960 Les Paul Standard, model #248. I really think that the SG, as popular as it is, is under-rated. It really lives in the shadow of the Les Paul, and as much as I love Pauls, I don't know why. SGs are the perfect compromise between the playability of a Strat and that awesome 'Gibson' sound that we all know and love.

For anyone thinking of buying a Gibson, if you want a Les Paul, an Epiphone Les Paul will give you a good idea of what to expect, but if you want a SG, only a Gibby will do the trick really, the Epi quality just isn't there for the SGs

Archived