Gibson Brands Forums

Greatest Album Ever?

kaleb

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great choices that you have there Surfpup,the Jayhawks are also a force to be reckoned with,I have their Tomorrow The Green Grass double CD,which I believe is their first recording(1994).Even though I don't like what is referred to as "new country" I really do like the Jayhawks.

1380147501[/url]' post='1429664']

So many great ones I love... many been mentioned already....

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road

Deep Purple - Machine Head, Made in Japan

Boston - Boston

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street or Sticky Fingers

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Zeppelin - Everything up through Physical Graffiti!

So how about a perfect Alt. Country album?

hthfront.jpg

If you don't have it - get it

And this one runs a close second in the same category...

B000003JXX.jpg

Not much Jazz mentioned yet (Good job on the Take 5 Demoon!) This one should probably be on any one's

"If I were deserted on an island" list.

Bill_Evans--Portrait_In_Jazz.jpg

Ditto! Gotta love the Jayhawks!

May I submit for consideration

Sargent Peppers..

Tommy

Electric Lady Land

After Bathing at Baxters

And.....B itch

Well, it would have to be one that had a massive impact on people, not just me. (Beatles were mentioned so I won't bother)

Michael Jackson's Thriller sticks out.

No, popular isn't always good, but this is Michael Jackson.

This is not an album SO heavy or SO profound that it will go above the heads of the masses...however it commands the respects of great artists and musicians because it united the world. Literally from China to Africa to Mexico, children wearing a single glove...it was comforting to know we had a king .

How many boys didn't pick up guitar because of the solo in Beat It? How many girls didn't dance in clubs to the PYT? Gangsters and pop fans, blacks and whites, didn't matter if you liked rap or metal or country...this album on some level touched your life.

It may say a thing about my age to chose this album, but Michael must be mentioned. Respect to the man who could appreciate killer choreography and stupendous guitar chops.

This really is impossible, but I'll throw in Quadrophenia, London Calling and Exile on Main Street. Of course, now I want to add Neil Young's Tonight's the Night, Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and either Alice Cooper's Love It to Death or Killer. I'll stop writing now before I add too many others. Yep, impossible.

I have the "Love it to Death" origional.......what an album !!

my favorite trac from it is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2eMJ3xjtf0

So how about a perfect Alt. Country album?

hthfront.jpg

If you don't have it - get it

Now you're talking. This is my favorite album in that style. How can you not love Gary Louris? SG through a Fender Deluxe Amp with an seventies Ge Fuzz Face for leads.

Great choices that you have there Surfpup,the Jayhawks are also a force to be reckoned with,I have their Tomorrow The Green Grass double CD,which I believe is their first recording(1994).Even though I don't like what is referred to as "new country" I really do like the Jayhawks.

No doubt. Tomorrow the Green Grass though came after Hollywood Town Hall and was their 4th album I think. It's a good record - but not as good as Hollywood. Good news - Marc Olsen has recently rejoined the band after a ten year break (he left right after Tomorrow...) With him back the new stuff is really great sounding - their vocal harmonies are stellar.

This one is still my favorite tune. I heard it in the car and literally drove directly to the record store (remember those?) to buy the CD.

Now you're talking. This is my favorite album in that style. How can you not love Gary Louris? SG through a Fender Deluxe Amp with an seventies Ge Fuzz Face for leads.

Jayhawks are cool. Rainy Day is the only JH album I have though and I wouldn't call it a favorite.

snapback.pngkidblast, on 26 September 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

right..

they don't make em like they used to...

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">snapback.pngrct, on 26 September 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

They don't buy 'em like they used to.

rct

this

When is the last time you experienced a modern album/CD/whatever that even came close to being one you could stand to actually listen to beginning to end?

Even in the day, there were very few acts that could consistently put out albums that were worthy of beginning to end play.

I say not buying them like they used to is a good thing. We're no longer forced to buy contrived drivel designed to fill empty space "on the other side"

But, to the main point, the paradigm has shifted making old measures N/A for modern times.

And if anybody would care to write a "Multiquoting for Dummies" book, I'll buy it :)

When is the last time you experienced a modern album/CD/whatever that even came close to being one you could stand to actually listen to beginning to end?

Today, yesterday, the day before that...

Lots of great new albums out there. I love my classic albums, but I still find lots of great new stuff too.

No doubt. Tomorrow the Green Grass though came after Hollywood Town Hall and was their 4th album I think. It's a good record - but not as good as Hollywood. Good news - Marc Olsen has recently rejoined the band after a ten year break (he left right after Tomorrow...) With him back the new stuff is really great sounding - their vocal harmonies are stellar.

This one is still my favorite tune. I heard it in the car and literally drove directly to the record store (remember those?) to buy the CD.

Damn, surfpup that is some good sounding stuff. Never heard of 'em. I'll be checking them out.

Damn, surfpup that is some good sounding stuff. Never heard of 'em. I'll be checking them out.

yep, nice! thx surfpup, for turning some of us on to this. Love it..

Super cool. Glad you guys dug that. They are certainly one of my favorites. BTW there are tons of real good alt.country bands - maybe a thread is in order.

Archived