Gibson Brands Forums

Sharp nut hurts my finger.

solving

This is my J-45 Pure Voice

The nut is a bit sharp and when I'm doing the "F-chords" it actually hurts my finger....

Suggestions? Can I fix it myself or should I have a luthier to grind it down?

Has anybody else encountered this?

IMG_6281_zps79e17ba3.jpg

Sol, assuming you are hesitant/uncomfortable - here's TMI on this procedure. DChristo's advice is 100% accurate though.

Get some blue painter's tape to put on the fretboard to keep the dust off it, fine dust could get into the open grain and stain it.

Also use tape to protect that part of neck you might accidentally hit.

Remove you're E sting.

Consider using sandpaper and one finger. It will give you more control.

Start with a rougher sandpaper to take off most of the nut material you feel you want to. Have a good idea how much you want to remove.

Mark with a crayon, or even blue tape that section of the nut you do not want to take anything off of. So, if you do - you'll see what you've done and stop sanding!

After probably no more than a dozen swipes with the rougher (220 grit) sand paper, graduate to a finer grade, either 330 or 440, to smooth out the small abrasions the 220 will leave. Again, not more than a dozen passes.

Don't start this if you think you can get it done in 10 minutes. Take it slow.

If, after your done, you think it's still too sharp a corner, you can repeat it again.

Obviously, if you grind too much off your nut, you risk your 1st string from slipping out of the slot. You do not want to have to replace your nut.

As an aside, can you bar a little lower, and/or change the angle of your wrist so your 1st finger is more parrallel to the nut and not at an angle?

Told you this would be TMI. G'Luck. 40YP

Not sure why you lay your barre chord so close to the nut, when it should be just behind the fret. Do you mean that the nut is set too high so that it's difficult to get proper pressure on the string, thus straining your muscle? Then lowering the nut slots may serve you if the action and neck angle are properly set up. However, you really should never be making actual contact with the nut while playing, so I'm not understanding your issue as you state it.

+1

I think an emery board (you can steel from your wife, girlfriend or the nearest metrosexual) would do the job quite nicely.

Keep us posted on how you make out

An emery board should be in every guitar case. Despite of gender and sexual orientation, every player has fingernails to care for :rolleyes:

Archived