Gibson Brands Forums

More Pussification of America

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/head-california-youth-football-league-defends-mercy-rule/

The commissioner of the California youth football league who was criticized after reports about the league's tough penalties for coaches who disregard the mercy rule defended his position Wednesday and said despite some recent hate mail, the rule will continue to be enforced.

Bill Fox, the commissioner of the Northern California Federation of Youth Football, told FoxNews.com that any coach who runs the score up by 35 points or more will be suspended for a week of practices and one game.

"When you see these kids line up at the end of the game to shake hands, there's nothing worse than seeing how devastated these children look who just lost by 50 points," he said. "A win is a win. At this age, there's no reason to run up the score."

To be sure, there is heated debate about the merits of a mercy rule. Those in favor of such rules say talented players are taught sportsmanship and losing players face a softer blow to their confidence. Those opposed to these rules say teams should compete from the beginning of the game to the end regardless of the score.

The teams in this league are comprised of players between the ages of 6 to 13 years old from various towns in the area. They play from August through October. There are playoffs and an eventual championship game is played each year. There are no individual awards like MVP or Most Improved Player.

Fox called earlier news reports that state the teams are fined $200 erroneous. He said there never was a $200 fine for violating the mercy rule.

"Bottom line, this is about players having fun," he said. "Not an ego trip for a coach who has a talented team."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/head-california-youth-football-league-defends-mercy-rule/

The commissioner of the California youth football league who was criticized after reports about the league's tough penalties for coaches who disregard the mercy rule defended his position Wednesday and said despite some recent hate mail, the rule will continue to be enforced.

Bill Fox, the commissioner of the Northern California Federation of Youth Football, told FoxNews.com that any coach who runs the score up by 35 points or more will be suspended for a week of practices and one game.

"When you see these kids line up at the end of the game to shake hands, there's nothing worse than seeing how devastated these children look who just lost by 50 points," he said. "A win is a win. At this age, there's no reason to run up the score."

To be sure, there is heated debate about the merits of a mercy rule. Those in favor of such rules say talented players are taught sportsmanship and losing players face a softer blow to their confidence. Those opposed to these rules say teams should compete from the beginning of the game to the end regardless of the score.

The teams in this league are comprised of players between the ages of 6 to 13 years old from various towns in the area. They play from August through October. There are playoffs and an eventual championship game is played each year. There are no individual awards like MVP or Most Improved Player.

Fox called earlier news reports that state the teams are fined $200 erroneous. He said there never was a $200 fine for violating the mercy rule.

"Bottom line, this is about players having fun," he said. "Not an ego trip for a coach who has a talented team."

I saw this on the news the other day and thought it was outrageous. The next thing you know, they will penalize you for winning the game, because of the look on the faces of the losers is so pitiful. If we all cant win then lets just call it a tie. What a joke!

Guest Farnsbarns

The strange thing is asking them to continue playing without scoring. How bizarre. Surely you would just introduce a rule that said the game ends when one team is 35 points ahead?

I would think the winners would feel ridiculous and the losers would be mortified by the winners continuing without scoring. How patronizing and demoralising would that be?

Somebody somewhere is clearly a couple of sarnies short of a picnic.

Lets start by saying NO KID is going to be so BAD at math that he/she won't know the real score and the real lameness of their team should they make a comeback.

I'd make my own league for friends and make it private and use REAL rules if I had a kid. Bunch of pansy motherfkrs.

When I was little I sucked utterly at sports, so bad it was sad. I once was so behind on a bicycle race I just sort of zoned out and started going the opposite direction, a parent pushed me across the finish line. I was SO lame at competitive sports.I cared for a minute until I realized I was different in ways that were positive too.

No one could argue with me and win. English and theology teachers feared me when I raised my hand because I'd be likely to say something brilliant and confuse the other kids and make them question their beliefs. The fact that the other kids were better at sports evened out the score. Had I been awesome at sports I may not have pursued reading and smart-assing so aggressively.

What's next? No girl left without a date to the dance? Make ALL the boys who are shorter than average wear tall shoes?

Character is built when we get pooped on or when we fail. Damn it this pisses me off and I don't even have kids. This is why no one will stand up and face opposition to make meaningful change. Once, we were a nation that encouraged little girls like Ruby Bridges to stand up and be strong. Today, we can't even play sports like normal. China is gonna kill us with their "family dishonor if you get less than an A," attitude.

Character is built when we get pooped on or when we fail. Damn it this pisses me off and I don't even have kids. This is why no one will stand up and face opposition to make meaningful change. Once, we were a nation that encouraged little girls like Ruby Bridges to stand up and be strong. Today, we can't even play sports like normal. China is gonna kill us with their "family dishonor if you get less than an A," attitude.

Exactly. This is why like Izzy so much! [thumbup]

I think when these kids finally do get pooped on (and it's too late already), that's where the teen suicide syndrome starts.

Our future generations are doomed unless this nonsense stops.

OK, ok, ok.

Now having been a youth football coach and coached at all three levels of high school football here in California, I have to say this is going a tad overboard. Here's why.

All leagues have rules regarding the mercy rule. But here's some ways they have creatively solved some of the problems associated with a lobsided game.

1. When the winning team is up by 28 points, the losing team gets to pull three starters from the winning team. Yeah, I know crazy, but it's true. Typically it's the quarterback, center and star skill player who get pulled. We've had players on my youth football team pulled several times. Once, an oposing coach pulled the wrong guy. He though he was pulling No. 51, our center, and he ended up asking to pull No. 15, a back up reciever and third string line backer. Yeah, it happens.

2. The losing team can also opt to run the clock in a blowout. It happens in youth football all the time. In fact, that's a standard CIF rule here in California for high school football. Today, our freshmen team played San Luis Obispo and killed them 56 to 0. The clock automatically starts running at 28-0. It only stops for timeouts, touchdowns and an injury. San Luis Obispo got waxed. They had to—coaching staff and players alike—take it like a man and deal with it. If I remember right, the clock started running with just four minutes expired in the second quarter. So the game was over a lot quicker than you would think.

Any way, each youth football league has their own set of guidelines to go by. If the parents don't like the *****fication of their children, they can always vote the president off the board of directors and change the rule next year. And that's the way the football bounces.

When the game became a blowout we would put in 2nd and 3rd string kids to get some experience on the field, ones who didn't get to see much playing time. If we were entering the red zone we would kick a field goal. It usually kept us from hammering out an even larger score, and avoided rubbing salt into the wounds of the losers. Even in a 55-0 sub state championship game in football my junior year. I guess winning graciously is out of vogue, and kicking the other team when they're down shows how awesome you are? Penalties shouldn't be involved in this, coaches should be men enough to play with respect to the other team. It is, after all, a game.

just this past Saturday, the Mrs. & I watched games between 5&6 yr olds...then 7 & 8 yr olds in central Alabama (where football IS a religious denomination).

when the 5&6 yr old home team went down by 21 points (28-6) the clock went into automode & as Caliman said, it only stopped for 1 injury.

IMHO this is a GREAT rule.

in my day, (single/double-bar facemasks, non gelpac webbing inside) if we got a good lead, it was time to start running in the 2nd/3rd strings.

How about just not keeping score?

Or what about when one team gets to 35 points they all trade jerseys and swap sides?

Or what about blindfolding one team member after another each time 5 points is scored by their side?

If the opposition scores 5 points back the opposing team can remove the blindfold from one player!

Or what about a handicap system? For each 5 points scored one team member must put on an item of clothing such as a pair of flippers or else have to carry something like an inflatable crocodile?

P.

usually the mercy rules were just running the clock, back when my son was playing in these sort of leagues.

when I was playing, there were no mercy rules, you got thumped, and that was the end of it. Live to play another day. Those teams got better in time, but we'd still lose to the ones who were better. That was the way it worked... don't play if you can't handle it. simple..

The PC agenda is touching almost every aspect of day to day life... it's getting out of hand, and I'm afraid at this point, there's only slowing it down, no stopping it.

When I was little I sucked utterly at sports, so bad it was sad. I once was so behind on a bicycle race I just sort of zoned out and started going the opposite direction, a parent pushed me across the finish line. I was SO lame at competitive sports.I cared for a minute until I realized I was different in ways that were positive too.

No one could argue with me and win. English and theology teachers feared me when I raised my hand because I'd be likely to say something brilliant and confuse the other kids and make them question their beliefs. The fact that the other kids were better at sports evened out the score. Had I been awesome at sports I may not have pursued reading and smart-assing so aggressively.

Reading your lines, I think I was the same kind of a boy as you were as a girl. Well, there luckily came an opportunity to make my peace with sports rather sustainingly, and it clearly is another method of making weak people stronger. I will always be grateful for having been offered for granted the experience I describe here.

When I had just become a teenager in 1972, our sports teacher one day decided to set up a basketball match of a team consisting of stronger players against one of weaker players for the last few minutes of a lesson. I was among the weaker ones, and I have to admit that in fact I very clearly was. [rolleyes] Setting up a vivid team play, we won 12:4, and moreover, one of my team members and me scored two penalty shots each. We usually didn't get penalty shots at all since we rarely got the ball in teams with mixed abilities of players when attacking. The stronger players just didn't pass it to us. However, in that particular match the stronger players made the worse team since each of these boys tried to make it all alone in his vanity.

One of these stronger basketball players is a bandmate of mine since 1986. We came to talk about that memorable match a few years ago, and he told me he still remembers and thinks that he has learned his lesson from it, too.

Guest Farnsbarns

It must be nice to have a life that allows peewee football to be sofa king important.

rct

Well, while I don't even know what peewee football is and don't care at all (my comment was more general), I wish I had time to comment in threads I find uninteresting just to say I find them uninteresting. [sneaky][unsure][biggrin]

Our future generations are doomed unless this nonsense stops.

Jeez, this is one tough crowd here. And this is a story about kids playing a game of football (aka your kid's chance for a traumatic brain injury)? I'm not so sure that a few football games have such an all-important and lasting effect on kids' lives as some here seem to think.

Guest Farnsbarns

Jeez, this is one tough crowd here. And this is a story about kids playing a game of football (aka your kid's chance for a traumatic brain injury)? I'm not so sure that a few football games have such an all-important and lasting effect on kids' lives as some here seem to think.

I think the sentiment is more of a concern about the condition of a society that breeds this kind of thinking. The point being made is that capping the amount by which one team may beat another at a game is not good for kids. A lot of the comments are also loosely pertaining to a recent thread about teen suicide which could be read as slightly alarmist if one were not seeing it in that context.

ok,, so who here has taken their kids to compete in (insert your game here) only to see at every single event

the few(and always the same) parents who are kicking and screaming on the sidelines.

You know them, the parents who either failed at that sport as a child or who never had the chance to compete

because they were not good enough.

The age group doesn't matter. I have seen these parents at events with kids as young as 5.

The kids playing the game don't really give a crap about the result. They just wanna play.

My 8 yr old daughter just yesterday competed in a city wide track meet.

There must have been 250 kids running in her heat(8 an under). I don't know how long the race was but it must have been about one maybe two kms. When she got to the finish line(walking)about middle of the pack, she had a grin from ear to ear.

When I asked her in the car on the way home why she walked into the finish line and coulda finished

another 30 places ahead you know what she said to me?

She said I didn't enter the race to win. I entered to have fun and get some exercise.

These rules aren't for the kids. They are for all the stupid parents who live vicariously through

their kids. The rules protect the parents.

The kids are fine.