Gibson Brands Forums

More Pussification of America

PingPongBob

That "old" saying isn't true. Just two examples.

Joe Foss - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Foss

Pappy Boyington- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

They both were extremely bold and lived a full life to what I would consider as "old".

Don't know where to draw the line between reasonable and bold, but to me it seems that John Glenn is the best example for an old and powerful pilot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-95

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cap...

Ich werde versuchen, diese in Deutsch sagen. Vielleicht mit Hilfe von alten Dichter und Google Translate. Erinnerst du dich an Gedichten von Heine? Einige mit Schumanns Musik? Haben diese Worte führen auch Ihre Schmerzen?

Ist das in Ihrer Musik? Ihre Lyrik?

Hier, Ein.

Ich grolle nicht, und wenn das Herz auch bricht,

ewig verlor'nes Lieb! Ich grolle nicht.

Wie du auch strahlst in Diamantenpracht,

es fällt kein Strahl in deines Herzens Nacht,

das weiß ich längst.

Ich grolle nicht, und wenn das Herz auch bricht.

Ich sah dich ja im Traume,

und sah die Nacht in deines Herzens Raume,

und sah die Schlang', die dir am Herzen frißt,

ich sah, mein Lieb, wie sehr du elend bist.

Ich grolle nicht.

==-=-=-

Vielleicht auch hier? Ich höre, wie tiefe Traurigkeit in Heines Worte. Es tut mir leid, dass mein Deutsch ist die eines Kindes. Ich muss aus wie Heine leihen.

Die alten, bösen Lieder,

die Träume bös' und arg,

die laßt uns jetzt begraben,

holt einen großen Sarg.

Hinein leg' ich gar manches,

doch sag' ich noch nicht was.

Der Sarg muß sein noch größer

wie's Heidelberger Faß.

Und holt eine Totenbahre,

von Bretter fest und ****;

auch muß sie sein noch länger

als wie zu Mainz die Brück'.

Und holt mir auch zwölf Riesen,

die müssen noch stärker sein

als wie der starke Christoph

im Dom zu Köln am Rhein.

Die sollen den Sarg forttragen,

und senken in's Meer hinab;

denn solchem großen Sarge

gebührt ein großes Grab.

Wißt ihr warum der Sarg wohl

so groß und schwer mag sein?

Ich senkt' auch meine Liebe

Und meinen Schmerz hinein.

m

Thank you very much, Milod,

I got it well, and it drove me to tears. Yesterday I performed two of my own songs for a friend, and I had to cry during one of them, too. My new songs are all about a future that probably will never be, they just keep me going. What's the sense of falling in love with a women less than half or even third my age? Sadly I don't have neither money nor reputation of good ol' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

It seems I will never stop dreaming, I write so much since about one and a half years, and it's getting even more intense than in my younger years. Perhaps I never will be adult deep in my heart, I don't know why it is that way, but at least I keep on trying to find out.

Thanks again,

capmaster

Well, I knew a bit of Joe and a guy he played football with in college.

I wouldn't say he was a "bold" pilot in the sense of wartime service any more than Hod Nielsen - that football player I knew rather well - who flew unarmed P-38s over France with nothing but a plane-mounted camera and a mission to bring home photos toward D-Day. Yeah, in his youth it was said that Hod flew under a certain bridge. <grin>

But that's youth. I won't go into stuff I did from age 10 to age 33 that could have fried me - and it wasn't aggression per se, either, nor thinly disguised suicide such as folks whose inclination toward drugs and a hard life took them away. And that was just life #1. Some would suggest that life #2, from 34 to 50, was yet more potentially dangerous yet nothing happened. And yup, I'm in life #3 and I'll wager I won't come close the longevity of either Joe or Hod.

As for Pappy... I've a hunch that much of what he learned in the AVG in terms of tactics helped - and not a little bit of luck.

m

This just in...

New Hampshire bans tag on the playground.

More Pussification of America

Reminds me of the time I heard that the local authorities had banned kids playing conkers in the playground. For me it was a growing up thing, head up the park in the autumn and gather the fallen horsechestnuts, take them out of the shells, stab myself repeatedly with the bradawl or screwdriver as I attempted to bore holes in them to pass a shoelace through, then gather my best ones for break time conker wars. Smashed knuckles were part of the fun.

I wonder how long before we're told there is no sharing of office equipment and such like for fear of passing on germs? The way this world is going it won't be long. Too many goody two shoes out there making a nanny state.

It all comes down to lack of social capital - neighborliness and NGOs in our communities.

That leads to use of "rules" and "laws" and then enforcement of rules and laws among people who have little or no real relationships with anyone.

What's worse is that we are encouraging this perspective for the upcoming generations through the cell phone and "social media" as opposed to face to face group interactions.

Where there are "groups," they have a sad tendency in the overall environment to encourage an "us or them" perspective. We see that both in "politics" and "religion." In fact, the "politics" side of it made at times even this forum a grouchy place to be through exemplification of the passions involved. "With us or against us..."

Yet we even see some of that "politics" in terms of musical styles among guitar players. We just don't argue as much and sit in our own little genre-worlds not often able to see advantages of cross pollination of technique.

Did I mention talking with a high school teacher about the lack of today's under-50 age group's knowledge of history, government and basic "philosophy" through any sort of readings? I said I'd happily teach an after school or weekend "history and classics" and his response was, "They won't care, because they're too bound up with looking at naked women on their cell phones." Yes, he was speaking in metaphor, but the metaphor makes it worse.

m

Yup...

And note the growth of "social programs" in the same time period.

It's not that "social programs" are, per se, "bad," but rather the environment into which they were placed that remained unchanged in basic function. In fact, some might suggest that splits along "cultural" lines - now being blamed on being political or racial - might be due to the increases in "social programs" that made achievement not only decreasingly relevant, but also decreasingly perceived as a viable option.

I find it personally objectionable that we have an "achievement culture" of all "colors and politics," while at the same time we have an increasing majority culture of people who see no real option or relevance of achievement.

Most of us here, regardless of what we consider our "politics," are achievers. We want to be creative or we wouldn't be messing with musical instruments. We also want that effort and creativity to have some "rewards" for us in both a personal and social environmental mode.

In short, we play guitar because the effort to learn and perform has value to us. The Lakota "drums," groups playing more or less traditional Northern Plains Sioux tribal music, aren't paid for saloon gigs and not much if at all for various other gigs. But you can see the internal rewards on the faces of those in a drum circle singing in what are "strange" modes.

"We," on the other hand, are oddballs in todays world whether playing guitar or sitting around a drum at a wacipi.

Where are the others who put out effort for group as well as individual benefit? Where are the others who study so hard in one way or another to produce whatever their talents and abilities allow?

That's why I say it's "culture," not politics. Guitar players in today's "developed" world are of all races, all "political perspectives."

But we're all, to a greater or lesser extent, working to create and harvest benefits to ourselves and to others. That makes "us" a "subculture" of sorts.

We are creators, doers. But we are a bit "odd" in that sense. It seems "we" are an increasing few who really want to develop their full range of talent whether it's in math or music, cleaning floors or writing philosophy.

It's just that it's far easier to listen on one's "device" while doing nothing personally creative. It's also that it's far easier to conclude that "future" simply is lack of need to do much of anything because the world owes it to us.

And as long as we are "owed," isn't it easier to dial up that metaphorical naked lady vid, or to tweet somebody and echo what our Facebook "Friends" keyboard about how horrid life is because of... "Them," whoever "them" might be?

<sigh>

m

Archived