Gibson Brands Forums

B-20 neck reset - Worth it?

I have a B-20 (from the 70's?)which I'm told needs a neck reset, which is not going to be cheap. There are also some cracks to repair, but it's the neck reset which is the major surgery necessary. I'm just wondering if you have any thoughts about the quality of that guitar, and whether it's worth the expense of restoring?

It will probably cost more than this guitar's current resale value to get it restored.

Thoughts?

My only thoughts are, it is worth it...only if it is worth it to you! What are your future plans for the guitar?

Yes! That's hard for me - this was my first "real" acoustic.

It has sentimental value.

I have other guitars - including a Martin OM-21 and an Eastman Parlor - but I don't remember how nice (or not nice) the

B-20 could sound - I bought it used, and it's had neck problems almost from the start - which have gotten worse in the 20 + years I've had it.

So - my question about 'is it worth it' - is - what kind of guitar is the B-20 - sound-wise?

Is it as nice as an LG1? (which is about it's size) - they only made 500 of them - so they're not so well-known.

I don't mind investing $$$ in it - if I'll have a nice instrument after all.

The Luthier who could do the repair is quite skilled - I just don't know what I'll end up with at the end of the day.

I agree with the statement that it's only worth it if you want to do it. Here's my story.

The first guitar my Mom got me was a 'new 60's Kay acoustic. I wore that thing out but held on to it for years.

She passed away about two years ago (87 years old). That made that guitar even more special.

I knew the guitar was only worth about $50 and did not want to spend too much fixing it up, but wanted it in playing condition where I could enjoy it.

For about $65 I bought a new neck and made it playable but something just didn't feel right about it.

About a month ago I took the original neck (bolt on) to my local luthier. Had him plane the fretboard and refret it. Best $250 I ever spent.

For me, there's no cost I can associate with sentimental feelings.

Good luck.

Archived