Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Kroina Heritage first reissue serials

Hi gang. I am aware of the various ink-stamped serials for the earlier run (~1981 onwards) of '58 RI Korina V's.

The bit I'm looking for confirmation on is whether is was standard to also stamp "Made in USA" into the volute somewhere below the inked serial?

The reason I ask is that it seems (from my research thus far and the ones I've played/seen) that some have this stamp, and some don't. It seems entirely random to me.

Is there a pattern to which got a "Made in USA" stamp and which didn't?

All the best, Mat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang. I am aware of the various ink-stamped serials for the earlier run (~1981 onwards) of '58 RI Korina V's.

The bit I'm looking for confirmation on is whether is was standard to also stamp "Made in USA" into the volute somewhere below the inked serial?

The reason I ask is that it seems (from my research thus far and the ones I've played/seen) that some have this stamp, and some don't. It seems entirely random to me.

Is there a pattern to which got a "Made in USA" stamp and which didn't?

All the best, Mat

I'd have to pull mine out of hiding and look at it. I don't believe they were made until around 1984 and mine has no volute, are you sure you are using that word right? I'm posting a pic of my 79 V that has a volute, it's that ridge between the headstock and the top of the neck:

8582756421_91bde69996_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The ones I've seen had the serial number ink stamped, always starting with a letter, and the "Made In USA" stamped into the wood.

Cheers all. In reference to the 1st reply - I was only referring to the '58 reissues starting in 1981 (Korina Heritage Series) with the A___, B___, C___ or D___ serials.

It's looking like most (???but not all) had "Made in USA" in addition to the serial??

Cheers all. In reference to the 1st reply - I was only referring to the '58 reissues starting in 1981 (Korina Heritage Series) with the A___, B___, C___ or D___ serials.

It's looking like most (???but not all) had "Made in USA" in addition to the serial??

I only posted that pic of the 79 V to show you what a volute looked like. My Korina V was made in 84 I think and has no volute, it has an ink-stamped 'A' serial number and I believe it does have the "Made in USA" stamp on it as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Never heard that. BTW, my headstock does have the Made in USA on it.

11348250376_9e9b02131b.jpg

Hey cheers - mine's A250 - they might be brothers! Tell me, is there a girls' name written in the control cavity? I've heard ongoingly that guys in the factory were doing that. I believe someone out in interweblandia is compiling a list? Mat

Hey cheers - mine's A250 - they might be brothers! Tell me, is there a girls' name written in the control cavity? I've heard ongoingly that guys in the factory were doing that. I believe someone out in interweblandia is compiling a list? Mat

Yes, i just noticed it the other day and thought that I was imagining things as I had put some ID stuff in there in case it was stolen. I was recently taking pics as I had not looked in there in maybe 25+ years. Maybe it was someone's girlfriend.

13158161835_bbb4431833_c.jpg

BTW, I bought mine new in Los Angeles, CA at the old Guitar Center store in Hollywood that was across the street from their current, giant store.

Archived