Gibson Brands Forums

gettin old, music aint what it used to be

blindboygrunt

Had a hoke through the CD collection for the glove box of the car. Pulled out the fist album by counting crows and stuck it on yesterday . might not mean much to most of you but when this CD came out I literally played it to death. Guess I was just at an age when it 'spoke' to me. I find myself singing along in the car and still knew nearly all the lyrics.I could remember the girl I was with at the time etc.

As I say , some of you will be thinking 'who gives a monkeys'. It just got me thinking that I haven't had an album like that for as long as I can remember. I had the usual intense Dylan phase , and a Neil young one , and yes I've got lots of albums that I think are really great. My love for music hasnt wained in my 40 years.

Anyone had a similar god moment in an album ? And anyone else find it hard to be overwhelmed by albums lately ?

Is it music ? How its available these days of youtube and spotify etc. certainly must have a bearing. Or am I just getting old and farty ?

BBG... recent finds for me that I dig:

Ryan Adams

John Mayer (last two albums)

Michael Kiwanuka

Amos Lee

Civil Wars

This is after a hiatus from music listening by me, where a long time ago I was a big Stones, Eagles, Bruce, ... and so on.

My oldest son (20 years old) tried to get me into "good rap". I was polite and feined interest, but it didnt work for me.

BBG... recent finds for me that I dig:

Ryan Adams

John Mayer (last two albums)

Michael Kiwanuka

Amos Lee

Civil Wars

This is after a hiatus from music listening by me, where a long time ago I was a big Stones, Eagles, Bruce, ... and so on.

My oldest son (20 years old) tried to get me into "good rap". I was polite and feined interest, but it didnt work for me.

Not sure how I forgot about Ryan Adams because , as you know, I'm a massive fan.

The kiwanukas and John Mayer's , while make for pleasant listening, I wouldn't regret the money spent on them , have a certain lifespan for me.

I'm talking about an album that I taped so I could play it on the walkman when I wasn't at home to listen to it.

I'm always interested in new stuff , some of the suggestions here I'll check out if I haven't already heard them.

Spoon was a favourite a few years ago , the album gimme fiction I enjoyed a lot.

The point I'm , maybe feebly, making is - how long has it been since an album just bleww your socks off ?

I used the counting crows one , thinking back there were a few more of course .

I'm talking about albums that really spoke to you. Pearl jams 10 was another one that hit me between the eyes.

They're not as good as , oh I dunno , electric ladyland , or Sgt pepper I know this.but they got under my skin more than albums which I know are truly great and groundbreaking and just perfect.

Been a while since anything really got into my blood the way it used to

I'm always interested in new stuff , some of the suggestions here I'll check out if I haven't already heard them.

Spoon was a favourite a few years ago , the album gimme fiction I enjoyed a lot.

The point I'm , maybe feebly, making is - how long has it been since an album just bleww your socks off ?

I used the counting crows one , thinking back there were a few more of course .

I'm talking about albums that really spoke to you. Pearl jams 10 was another one that hit me between the eyes.

They're not as good as , oh I dunno , electric ladyland , or Sgt pepper I know this.but they got under my skin more than albums which I know are truly great and groundbreaking and just perfect.

Been a while since anything really got into my blood the way it used to

Well, I only bought one CD but that one really got under my skin and I pretty much play it every day in the car returning from home and even learnt a few of the tracks .... here's one of them.

Ive always loved Heroin Girl, cracker of a track.

So Much For The Afterglow by Everclear is that Album for me ... every song on that album spoke to me and still does

they actually got Rami Jaffee from the wallflowers to play the organ and appear in the video above

they don't make music like that anymore !

JC

BBG. You ever listen to Bromberg? A lot of his intimate stuff I think is in your wheelhouse. He is the best live. Seen him more times than I care to recount.

Bromberg grew up in the town right down the road from me. Years later reappeared up in Putnam Valley, NY when he started hanging around with Jay Ungar. I remember once going to see him at the Town Crier Cafe with a blizzard raging outside. Only a handful of folks showed up so talk about an intimate gig.

BBG. You ever listen to Bromberg? A lot of his intimate stuff I think is in your wheelhouse. He is the best live. Seen him more times than I care to recount.

This one in particular has a Sunday Morning BBG Session all over it. Dylan too:

That is really a sweet version of one of my favorite songs. Bromberg is and has always been a guitar genius. HIs playing is just so effortless, and so good.

Had a hoke through the CD collection for the glove box of the car. Pulled out the fist album by counting crows and stuck it on yesterday . might not mean much to most of you but when this CD came out I literally played it to death. Guess I was just at an age when it 'spoke' to me. I find myself singing along in the car and still knew nearly all the lyrics.I could remember the girl I was with at the time etc.

As I say , some of you will be thinking 'who gives a monkeys'. It just got me thinking that I haven't had an album like that for as long as I can remember. I had the usual intense Dylan phase , and a Neil young one , and yes I've got lots of albums that I think are really great. My love for music hasnt wained in my 40 years.

Anyone had a similar god moment in an album ? And anyone else find it hard to be overwhelmed by albums lately ?

Is it music ? How its available these days of youtube and spotify etc. certainly must have a bearing. Or am I just getting old and farty ?

I was older than you when that album broke; it had the same effect on me and still does. Part of it is the music. There is an aching in that record that is impossible to deny. But part of it is where I was in my life at the time, too. I was in my early 40s, divorced from my first wife, separated too much from my daughter, and the girl I was with/not with/with at the time? Boy, do I remember her when that album plays. What a great record. There aren't many, from any era, that good. There aren't any others from Counting Crows that are that good. In the last few years, The Civil Wars "Barton Hollow" is, IMO, the closest thing I've heard to that kind of intensity, longing, and sheer songwriting prowess, not to mention performance skill. I think if I were in a different place, it might have a similar impact.

P

There's something to what BBG's saying. My deepest imprints were years ago: The Band, CCR, early 70s GD. Hit on Doc Watson around then. Everything else took off from there Interestingly, no blues. But then, there was a lot of blues in the Band, CCR, Doc and the Dead. But those were the ones that set the parameters. Cheers.

One of my favourite bands that sadly remained virtually unknown is the British band Métro and their albums Métro (1977), New Love (1979) and Future Imperfect (1980).

Members were on the first album Peter Godwin/vocals, Duncan Browne/guitar, and Sean Lyons/guitar. This album contains the first recording appearance of Simon Phillips/drums (do I have to say that he plays drums? He's one of the greatest drummers ever...).

The first song from the Métro album, Criminal World, was covered by David Bowie seven years later who made it a hit.

The lineup of the second and third album is Peter Godwin/vocals, Tony Adams/bass, John Laforge/drums, Sean Lyons/guitar and Colin Wight/guitar.

My all-time favourite song is Gemini from the Future Imperfect album. I listened to it far more often than 10,000 times but it can't be found on the web.

Africa by The Knack is getting closer, but I don't think I listened to it more than 3,000 times.

Another favorites of mine are Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera, and Lucky You by The Lightning Seeds.

Sometimes I listen days long to Cock Robin with the favorites Worlds Apart and Straighter Line, or It Bites of whom I like Old Man And The Angel, Yellow Christian, Positively Animal, Once Around The World and The Ice Melts Into Water the most.

Im a bit of a music snob..unfortunately... I rearely take heed of other peoples recommendations, and have to come across music myself to get into it

but

here is an artist I thoroughly recommend... Anna Ternheim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjRIFjsPJI

I found out about her thru these pages..the Live on the Porch albumn is fantastic..this video is from there..but her studio album..The Night Visitor is excellent also

And anoithe album that has blew me away BBG is

Bonni Prince Billy: Lie Down in the Light.... it is ****in brilliant...been out a good while..but the guy is genius ;)

There's something to what BBG's saying. My deepest imprints were years ago: The Band, CCR, early 70s GD. Hit on Doc Watson around then. Everything else took off from there Interestingly, no blues. But then, there was a lot of blues in the Band, CCR, Doc and the Dead. But those were the ones that set the parameters. Cheers.

It's been proven the music that people listen to, obsess about around the ages of 15-25 will typically remain their favourite and a benchmark by which newer music is judged. What we're seeing here is the natural ageing process and harking back to favourites... nostalgia and whatnot means most modern stuff can't compare for the individual. Lest we forget our/your favourite music is the same music your parent / grandparents were moaning about saying 'music is just not as good as it once was'

Although a medium which lasts a lifetime, music is more often than not about the now... lets take the two samples from above, counting crowes and Pearl Jam, loosely they fit into the grunge scene around the time that was popular... if only released today, those same albums would have almost zero impact as it's not really what music is about at the minute... Like the stone roses with the manchester/indie scene, a 'perfect record' comes along every once in a while for each scene... we jump on it, love it, play it to death, we get older and tell everyone nothing else is as good as that.

What it boils down to is older people think they have a monopoly on taste... a criticism, well yes it is of course, but it stands up too. Old people are always bleating on about how their music was cooler, was more original etc etc.. all the stuff you've read before. It wasn't. Yes a lot of it is fondly remembered, but even the heyday (60's) was littered with pure garbage by and large. Plenty gems of course, but just like today, loads of garbage.

While I might not 'get' a lot of the latest chart stuff and dismiss it as a producer messing about and getting pretty people to front it, for the kids it's the total business, its current, relevant, sums up their life, the highs, lows, their nights out, their nights in, it's bloody well everything to them and while we sit in judgement about it, they're out there loving it. Let them be....... plus it's not really aimed at us... we're old, we're in an acoustic forum for god's sake we've long ceased to be relevant among the movers & shakers.

Another way of looking at it, maybe it's not music which has stopped being mind-blowing, but our minds which have stopped being mind-blown because we're set in our ways and preferences.

It's been proven the music that people listen to, obsess about around the ages of 15-25 will typically remain their favourite and a benchmark by which newer music is judged. What we're seeing here is the natural ageing process and harking back to favourites... nostalgia and whatnot means most modern stuff can't compare for the individual. Lest we forget our/your favourite music is the same music your parent / grandparents were moaning about saying 'music is just not as good as it once was'

Although a medium which lasts a lifetime, music is more often than not about the now... lets take the two samples from above, counting crowes and Pearl Jam, loosely they fit into the grunge scene around the time that was popular... if only released today, those same albums would have almost zero impact as it's not really what music is about at the minute... Like the stone roses with the manchester/indie scene, a 'perfect record' comes along every once in a while for each scene... we jump on it, love it, play it to death, we get older and tell everyone nothing else is as good as that.

What it boils down to is older people think they have a monopoly on taste... a criticism, well yes it is of course, but it stands up too. Old people are always bleating on about how their music was cooler, was more original etc etc.. all the stuff you've read before. It wasn't. Yes a lot of it is fondly remembered, but even the heyday (60's) was littered with pure garbage by and large. Plenty gems of course, but just like today, loads of garbage.

While I might not 'get' a lot of the latest chart stuff and dismiss it as a producer messing about and getting pretty people to front it, for the kids it's the total business, its current, relevant, sums up their life, the highs, lows, their nights out, their nights in, it's bloody well everything to them and while we sit in judgement about it, they're out there loving it. Let them be....... plus it's not really aimed at us... we're old, we're in an acoustic forum for god's sake we've long ceased to be relevant among the movers & shakers.

Another way of looking at it, maybe it's not music which has stopped being mind-blowing, but our minds which have stopped being mind-blown because we're set in our ways and preferences.

Pretty wise and perceptive... Deep. You got the whole meat of it.

Their music still sucks though, and ours was awesome. :)

Archived