Gibson Brands Forums

New Orleans trip

Enmitygauged

I haven't been to New Orleans for about 15 years or so (well before the hurricane damage, oil spill, etc.) Don't know about guitar stores there but a few things come to mind (apologies in advance to all our friends in and around Nawlins):

Hot and humid, doesn't matter when

Great restaurants

Great music in the French Quarter

The French Quarter is one huge dive, wear a body condom LOL

It's not a real safe city (where is anymore?)

And it's hot and humid.

Have fun.

I've been to New Orleans several times in the last several years. I can't say for sure that there are any outstanding stores. I know I haven't been to one, and I've looked. Now if you want to hear about places with great music or great restaurants, I can help you with that. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone can help. I know there are a few members who know NOLA a lot better than me. You might try a PM to brundaddy. I think he knows NO.

You might look into:

New Orleans Guitar Company

Foster Guitars

You might want to see if he apprenticed anyone or his shop is still producing guitars.

Abita Springs

I don't remember any guitar stores when I was there. But I think that in the Big Easy, like most tourist towns, you will have to get well off the strip (Bourbon Street etc) to find any store worthwhile. And you may not want to just wander into these areas. Perhaps a bit of Google searching and a cab ride are in order?

Im heading up to New Orleans from Australia and want to visit some guitar stores in town whilst im there. Can anyone recommend a good store not just a guitar centre.

Cheers.

Don't know if you are a Facebook person or not. Or how quickly you need the info. But if you are, you might want to go Friend this guy, Steve Mignano. He is a working pro guitarist and from New Orleans. He is the guitarist for Cassie Taylor as well as fronting his own band. And a really nice guy. Time permitting, he can probably make some recommendations.

Archived