Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of the Les Paul top

Lespaulist

That's a beautiful top.

Gibson's AAA grade for flamed maple (aka 'Premium Plus' top) is usually nicely figured with a few run outs, but mostly the figuring goes to the edges. It is not unusual to be able to see the grain through the figuring. The top in in the pic looks to me like a Gibson AAA. Check this thread where I posted some pics of different grades - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105631-figured-tops/page__view__findpost__p__1428341

The amount of figuring in the top is sometimes a crap shoot. First, there can be a lot of variance in each grade - A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA. Second, if Gibson doesn't specify the grade and just uses the term "figured", there can be a much wider variance in the figuring between guitar tops. Because of the variance in the grade, if you order a figured top sight unseen, you could end up with a top you're not satisfied with, so it's best to buy in person; but retailers that provide good pictures of the guitars they sell works.

That's a beautiful top.

Gibson's AAA grade for flamed maple (aka 'Premium Plus' top) is usually nicely figured with a few run outs, but mostly the figuring goes to the edges. It is not unusual to be able to see the grain through the figuring. The top in in the pic looks to me like a Gibson AAA. Check this thread where I posted some pics of different grades - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105631-figured-tops/page__view__findpost__p__1428341

The amount of figuring in the top is sometimes a crap shoot. First, there can be a lot of variance in each grade - A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA. Second, if Gibson doesn't specify the grade and just uses the term "figured", there can be a much wider variance in the figuring between guitar tops. Because of the variance in the grade, if you order a figured top sight unseen, you could end up with a top you're not satisfied with, so it's best to buy in person; but retailers that provide good pictures of the guitars they sell works.

+1

It's LP Standard Premium Plus... It is supposed to be AAA top.

If Gibson says it's a 'Les Paul Standard Premium Plus' then it is, by definition, a AAA top.

Read rct's post (#5).

Whilst I personally love figure and grain in a top I actually don't like the flow of the grain on that example. I don't like the way it all deflects towards the butt-end strap-pin.

But nick_s is right when he suggests the important things are how it plays and sounds.

All JMHO, of course.

P.

Archived