Gibson Brands Forums

best way to house an acoustic

bamapsych

What do most people think is the best way to keep a guitar? I generally keep mine in the case but I've heard from others that allowing the guitar to be kept on a stand allows it to breathe better. Am I wrong to keep it in the case?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody has got their own comfort zone on this issue, but I like having mine out where I can reach 'em! I also am a gigging musician, so they are going out and about all the time anyway. See this thread to see where I store 'em:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105725-my-guitar-rack-my-buddy-built-for-me/

I think it is vital to have at least one guitar sitting out at all times. When the urge to play strikes nothing should be in the way. When I was younger with kids and dogs that didn't quite grok it yet I put beaters out. Now I always have several guitars sitting out in rotation. If you want to protect your guitar, keep it in the case. If you want it close to you, available and ready, almost an extension of your body, leave it out.

I think it is vital to have at least one guitar sitting out at all times. When the urge to play strikes nothing should be in the way. When I was younger with kids and dogs that didn't quite grok it yet I put beaters out. Now I always have several guitars sitting out in rotation. If you want to protect your guitar, keep it in the case. If you want it close to you, available and ready, almost an extension of your body, leave it out.

I do pretty much the opposite. I keep all my guitars--every one--in their cases, even the two travel guitars that only live in gig bags. Most of the cases are stored in the open, racked up neatly. It takes me all of about 15 seconds to pick out a guitar, remove it from its case, and start to play.

As Jeremy Morton says, the temperature and humidity will stay more stable with the guitars in their cases. And the guitars will stay much cleaner, with no airborne debris such as atmospheric dust settling on them. There is also, of course, virtually no chance of someone knocking a guitar over and damaging it if it is in its case.

"When the urge to play strikes, nothing should be in the way", you say. Does that mean you keep a guitar in every room in the house? My particular muse doesn't mind if I take a minute to pull out a guitar when I want to play. Perhaps others are more driven.

What do most people think is the best way to keep a guitar? I generally keep mine in the case but I've heard from others that allowing the guitar to be kept on a stand allows it to breathe better. Am I wrong to keep it in the case?

You do absolutely right in my opinion. [thumbup]

In its case for sure! It is also the easiest place to control the humidity either adding or taking away humidity. There are alot of variables in leaving a guitar on a stand or a hanger.

JM

OK, if one should know then it's you, and so you mentioned all the important aspects both short and soundly. [thumbup]

I got kinds and dogs so it is a no brainer. They stay their cases. I could hang them on the walls but I guess I really have no desire to festoon my house with guitars. Plus they would probably end up filled with dog hair and other nasty stuff.

[thumbup]

In my opinion, my precious guitars and basses deserve my full awareness when handling them. If I am not doing so, they deserve the best protection against unintentional contacts. Regardless if it's about dust, short-term climate changes, or unwanted accidents due to persons or animals affecting them, I store all my electrics in their cases since 33 years. [thumbup]

But however, I also have to admit that I bought a case for a cheap Applause acoustic not before 30 years had passed without any coverage for many transports covered by a blanket only on the backseat of my car, and after keeping it at home in a stand these three decades, without any protection or sometimes covered by only a blanket, too. [blush] My only attempt of an excuse is that it's a really cheap one and was considerably worn already when I got it as a used item... [rolleyes] ... she might have had it better for the thirty years with me than for her first three years with her pre-owner [biggrin]

I've had my guitars hanging on the walls for 25 years and never had a problem, except early on before I learned about humidity (got some small cracks from that - and a popped bridge - which was successfully repaired). I keep a whole house humidifier running all winter and a Whole Room humidifier running year round in the Man Cave. Temperature - 65-70 degrees and humidity 45% works out fine. Here is my acoustic wall(It used to be a Gibson wall, but now, with a couple Guild Guitars added, it is now my "G" Wall)! The best part is I can grab whatever I feel like and be playing instantly. If I had kids or pets I might have them in cases... :)

IMG_1987_1.JPG

Wow, there are certainly a lot of opinions. I like the idea of keeping most in cases and leaving one out for easy access. I might start a rotation so they each get to be out as I'd hate to give one of the guitars a complex. Thanks for the input from all, its nice to see what works for others. I particularly loved the stand made from a pew!

A guitar is very safe in its case. However, taking the guitar out of the case and returning it to the case are actually fairly dangerous operations and many guitars are dinged, scratched and gored going in and out of their cases.

Also, pulling a case out of a closet or whatever, laying it flat, opening four or five latches, taking the guitar out and putting it somewhere, coming back, closing the case, latching latches, putting the case back where it goes... all of that kills off inspiration and if you are older, takes a physical toll, especially lugging around the case with guitar inside it.

You will play more if you leave a guitar out.

I've had my guitars hanging on the walls for 25 years and never had a problem, except early on before I learned about humidity (got some small cracks from that - and a popped bridge - which was successfully repaired). I keep a whole house humidifier running all winter and a Whole Room humidifier running year round in the Man Cave. Temperature - 65-70 degrees and humidity 45% works out fine. Here is my acoustic wall(It used to be a Gibson wall, but now, with a couple Guild Guitars added, it is now my "G" Wall)! The best part is I can grab whatever I feel like and be playing instantly. If I had kids or pets I might have them in cases... :)

IMG_1987_1.JPG

Aha ! The oft rumored "G" spot. Mine are in cases.

Kind of like asking what is the best way to hold one, eh? It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Perfect preservation? Do as you wish as long as it's yours. I used the 'bird for a pillow, on the front porch, for a bit the other night. Though I don't recommend it, I guess I am non-case-but I do pay attention to humidity.

1380747010[/url]' post='1432489']

A guitar is very safe in its case. However, taking the guitar out of the case and returning it to the case are actually fairly dangerous operations and many guitars are dinged, scratched and gored going in and out of their cases.

Also, pulling a case out of a closet or whatever, laying it flat, opening four or five latches, taking the guitar out and putting it somewhere, coming back, closing the case, latching latches, putting the case back where it goes... all of that kills off inspiration and if you are older, takes a physical toll, especially lugging around the case with guitar inside it.

You will play more if you leave a guitar out.

I couldn't have put it better myself! -especially the latch and lugging bit-I'm 63.....

Out in the open.

I wanna be able to see those beauties around me. They must be a part of my immediate environment.

Some are in cases though - and then the guards changes.

A Miro replaces a Picasso - Dali is taken over by Gris. . .

• 3 weeks later...

mines both electrics and acoustics are definitely in their case, i have no room enough to let them out all anyway

but most of all ... i cant stand dusty guitar, especially in the headstock, i d rather spend 3 seconds ore even 30 seconds (depending where they are) looking for a guitar somewhere in my place ... the most often played are in my music room anyway (all the acoustics actually)

Archived