Gibson Brands Forums

best way to house an acoustic

bamapsych

They're all in the cases except for my cheapo parlour guitar. I don't really have a place where I would want to display them anyway. But I have one or two guitars out every day to play, so I don't really get the urge to look at them.

I do like the looks of a nice "music room" with the guitars on the wall. [thumbup]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the care that some folk rightfully lavish on their guitars, I think it's funny that some of the best finds have been laying around for years, with no care at all, in a closet, an attic, a garage, or under a bed - sometimes in the case, sometimes not.

My locations change with the seasons - in the warm months my acoustics and electrics are out on stands, and in the cold/dry months I keep my acoustics cased. That works for me - I like to have the guitars out as I find I play them more, but in my area it's just too hard to control the wood shrinking on the acoustics in the cold months so they get cased. For some folks the cold/dry wood shrinking on acoustics is enough that I remember a couple of posts suggesting different summer and winter saddles to handle the action changes from warm to cold/dry.

With all the care that some folk rightfully lavish on their guitars, I think it's funny that some of the best finds have been laying around for years, with no care at all, in a closet, an attic, a garage, or under a bed - sometimes in the case, sometimes not.

I know those ones, BigK!

And the cases: About time somebody re-invented the case hinges that lie there in wait to dent and scratch! I also had an Epi case that had sharp latches that someone forgot to file down, and it took me ages to find out where the very little cuts on my hands were coming from - rotten case!

BluesKIng777.

When I'm finished playing the guitar du jour I put it in its case, recharge its humidification devices and then store it with its other cased sisters. Then I get out the next guitar in rotation and set it in a stand for the next day's playing. So every guitar goes through 24 hours of pretty low humidity before being recharged, but this way I always recharge the humidifiers before they are entirely dried out. No problems doing it this way for years and years. My Telecaster hangs on the wall year around. It's tough. Two of the guys I play with every Friday have NEVER humidified their guitars! One of them is a Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo, a 2005 model I think, and the other is a 1957 Martin D-18. I've learned from them that acoustic guitars can take a lot more than most people believe. I still take "reasonable" care of mine without getting anal about it. But those two guys think I AM being anal about it!

My favorite spots are:

-lying flat on top of a bed

-leaning against the wall in the corner of a room (safer than a case if humidity is ok in the room, though dustier).

-leaning against a bookshelf

Nothing bad has ever happened to my guitars in these spots, though I have had guitars gored going in and out of a case. The most dangerous place, of course, is the house of a relative!

... Onstage or at home, a guitar on a guitar stand is an accident waiting to happen.....

One way to look at it. OTOH I've seen plenty of guitars damaged in case accidents, the most brutal of which happened with the top left open on a guitar that wasn't completely seated in the case, after a brief turn to check on something, the case top fell - not pretty - that one posted here. No matter how secure and safe the storage, there's always the possibility of an accident. I just try to be careful, but still maintain visual/physical access to my guitars.

Relatives, cats, dogs - phew!

Hound dog knocked one over and the sound of that hitting the deck taught him to hang back from the guitars.

In-Laws that want to paint old guitars...

Friends that play your J45 with a metal guitar pick! Bang it on the table.....

Cases that bite.

Worst: Sax Players....flighty creatures. Drummers.

Character building exercises in restraint, perseverance, buddhism...... or ROADCASE with Padlocks.

BluesKing777.

Wintertime: I keep mine out on a stand and use a room humidifier and monitor the level to maintain 47% - 55%.

Summertime: In the finished basement, hanging with the dehumidifier. Same levels maintained.

Spring: The best time of year! No humidification/dehumidification needed!

In over 30 years of playing, I have never had a humidity/dryness related issue.

71w-ze%2BTsbL._SX466_.jpg

I believe the safest place for a musical instrument that is not being played is in its case. The "danger" of getting one out of its case is far, far less than any of the number of things that can go wrong when they are sitting out on stands or hanging on walls.

Quote: "The "danger" of getting one out of its case is far, far less than any of the number of things that can go wrong when they are sitting out on stands or hanging on walls."

No one should take this as implied criticism of their personal views, as we all make up our own minds about what suits us.

But outside walls have a big potential for inducing problems especially, because the Instrument Back and Instrument Front can be typically experiencing, completely different environment factors in a localised way.

Thought it may depend on how efficient the insulation is, as well as the variation in Outside Climate, it is normal for people that do this to Solid Wood Guitars, to inflict severe damage to their Instruments, which is entirely avoidable.

Indubitably, in my mind, a Hard Case is the safest place to keep any Guitar when not in use, with loosened Strings. But let me tell you of some of my experience with guitar stands, which I consider to be a most potentially dangerous place to leave a Guitar.

Years ago, I toured with an American singer and Hollywood film star who just happened to be the most highly paid Artist in the world. There were a number of acoustic guitarists in the band, and they set their guitars up on stage in a neat row using stands, before rehearsal and sound check.

No one touched the instrument, or knocked into it, indeed no Players were actually on stage at the time, but someone walked about a yard behind the row of instruments, and I suppose the vibrations and wood flexing of the highly polished stage floor made a dreadnought acoustic, suddenly jump into the air, right off its stand where it had been left all on its own.

It landed dramatically on its back, bouncing forward and then slid twelve feet across the glossy stage floor, right to the edge, where it finally met its doom by falling down a six foot drop to the ground below. The back of the guitar came off in one clean piece. I was stood on the Balcony directly opposite looking at the stage, and thus saw the whole thing unfold before my eyes, though I could hardly believe them.

Another time, a friend of mine, a company director, was telling me about his rare left handed vintage Martin D-28.

He wasn't happy as it didn't play very well and needed some attention. I told him to let me have a look at it. Basically, it just needed some fine adjustment, care and attention. I made new parts for it like a new Bone Saddle etc. Adjusted the action, nut, fixed the tuners and spent a considerable time getting it all to have the care and attention it had lacked for so long, and as it really should be.

He was quite ecstatic, re-found a new enthusiasm for the instrument, and made great use of it thenceforth, but eventually he placed the instrument at home on a guitar stand, in pride of place. He had a cleaner lady, and she used the vacuum around the Instrument and accidently knocked it off its stand. As a consequence, the front of the instrument was severely damaged with a crack and a side was split open being made from vulnerable solid wood.

I have also known people with fine vintage instruments, accrue severe damage to them from the chemical formulation of the rubber protective's on guitar stands as well as types of vinyl, which given time can eat into nitro cellulose finishes, so sometimes people find it helpful to cover these with cotton material. The finish on the Instrument is critical to this issue. But none the less, and in spite of the problem being well known, I have found High End Wooden Stands often fitted with strips of potentially damaging material to High End Instruments, manufactured in the very best traditions.

So Hard Cases are the thing for me, in a Good Environment in regard to Temperature and Humidity.

On Stage, Large Strong, Multi-Racks are best, used to around Half of the Capacity.

They are actually Designed and Advertised to be used for.

Quote: "When you leave a bottle of wine in the cellar for too long, it turns to vinegar."

Many Great Chefs.

Wouldn't see things in the same way.

They say it simply goes bad, and tastes bad, unlike prepared vinegar.

Others, perhaps most think wine turns to vinegar, which subsequently may or may not be o.k. to use.

Regardless, its being Exposed to Oxygen, Active Bacteria, Biological Agents, Temperature and Lack of Sanitation that Affect Wine.

There's a wine cellar nearby us, with a private collection of 15,000 bottles of rare vintage wine, dating back to 1870. As its one of the most renowned Wine Collections in the World, one that Connoisseurs hail and laud as being unsurpassed.

With respect, I'm wondering how many Lifetimes, Centuries or Millennia it takes to ruin wine.

Rather, I believe one will find the Quality of Handling and Storage.

To be the True Active Factors Involved.

Just like Guitars.

Handle and Store your Musical Instruments Correctly.

And they will last, for a great many, Human Lifetimes.

Look at how Stradivarius Instruments have lasted so well.

Wine, like Guitars require Properly Controlled Environments.

[scared]

[crying]

I've had my guitars hanging on the walls for 25 years and never had a problem, except early on before I learned about humidity (got some small cracks from that - and a popped bridge - which was successfully repaired). I keep a whole house humidifier running all winter and a Whole Room humidifier running year round in the Man Cave. Temperature - 65-70 degrees and humidity 45% works out fine. Here is my acoustic wall(It used to be a Gibson wall, but now, with a couple Guild Guitars added, it is now my "G" Wall)! The best part is I can grab whatever I feel like and be playing instantly. If I had kids or pets I might have them in cases... :)

IMG_1987_1.JPG

gibsonjunkie, I L O V E Y O U R W A L !!!

I keep all my guitars in the cases with humidifiers (I live in a very dry place!)

But If I could I would do just like you and would hang just the same models on the vall!!!

msp_sneaky.gif ... where is that wall... ??? where...msp_sneaky.gifmsp_sneaky.gif

Archived