Gibson Brands Forums

1st Gibby Nation Acoustic Collaboration

Salfromchatham

Ok. So today is 10/4. Why don't you take stabs at this great song, and post back here by next Saturday, October 12th. I am sorry I went first.

Hopefully we will have many, many renditions of this song, and we can comment on each other's work any time after next Saturday. Feel free to post a soundcloud or youtube or whatever means you like, at your leisure until then.

Rules? None. Just post your rendition by next Saturday, enjoy each other's styles, share the love, and ride on the Peace Train.

Carmelita - made popular by Warren Zevon and Linda Ronstadt. SLightly different versions by each of course... Here is linda's:

"Carmelita"

I hear mariachi static on my radio

And the tubes they glow in the dark

And I'm there with you in Ensenada

And I'm here in Echo Park

Carmelita, hold me tighter

I think I'm sinking down

And I'm all strung out on heroin

On the outskirts of town

Well I pawned my Smith and Wesson

And I went to meet my man

He hangs out down on Alvarado Street

At the Pioneer Chicken stand

I think I'm sinking down

On the outskirts of town

Well I'm sittin' here playing solitaire

With my pearl handled deck

The county won't give me no more methadone

And they cut off your welfare check

I think I'm sinking down

On the outskirts of town

I think I'm sinking down

On the outskirts of town

Here's one. Didn't know the song.Listened a couple of times...so I hope i'm closeish melody wise.Played on my kay cereal box guitar...so at least your guitars should sound better..haha. My harp breaks seemed to stray into Desolation Row a little..haha..but that was fun..a good new song to play..Thanks Sal.

So in keeping with the spirit of this adventure, I'm going to post my first go. Being totally unfamiliar with the song, I did a bunch of internet listens and then I got my guitar out.

It's as rough as you'd expect, but I thought it might be fun to see if it changes substantially over the course of the week. The guitar work is kinda off, and thanks to allergies, I sound a bit like I'm strung out on something anyway...so I figured throwing this first take out there will set the bar low enough to encourage lots of you guys to get on this.

Thanks again, Sal--grand idea.[thumbup]

Carmelita-day one

EU and BBG... I dont gig as much as you guys :)

I just did my version. If I did what FB and ANNE did I would have pretty much copied them but not matched their emotion. Anne what a great tone. Capo? Wicked wicked great! Different! And FB... Just awesome. SO different. Yours are both great and fresh. OK No more cheerleading. I am digging this.

So this I hope is different. I just went for a little SoCal sound, and I added a minor chord, which I hope works. It still is pretty traditional. I also recorded two tracks. One with me singing and playing guitar. And one with me harmonizing and adding a little guitar flair. And I mean very little flair :) I think what I did might work if I played with a partner doing a two man gig. I have a buddy in mind too.

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/carmelita

I cant wait to hear the others. Three down. Fifteen to go. The week is young.

Edited. I have a friggin sniffle snort starting out the song. Classy.

I think by the first three versions you can see why this was a good song choice.Because it's not so well known it becomes a bit more of a blank canvas.

Anne brings her distinct Anne quality to everything she does...another classy job here.I'd take that "slightly off" guitar work anytime!

Sal, like the texture you bought to it..the second guitar with the occasional Mexican (SoCal?) lilt works nicely.I see you went for a Neil Youngish octave higher on the word "down"...that worked too.And the subtle chord variations to the standard tab make it a real individual version.

BBG I could have practiced for a week...but I wouldn't sound much different...maybe I could have worked out an odd guitar lick.But I'd thought I'd get in before some more polished versions started to roll in.

EA, don't suppose you've thought of asking Mrs EA to do some vocalising too.I know she's a reluctant performer but I reckon you two together could do an extra cool version.

edit...Just saw Buc's ...brilliant..i was thinking of Ukeing it originally!

FB, Sal, Buc-- oh, man! Fabulous offerings, insanely exciting.

It's a great song to do this with, as has been said, as with the Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt threads from days gone by. Brilliant material, when approached honestly and humbly, can make us shine-by inward and reflected rays.

Even our guitars (and ukes) seem to know that it's always about the song.

Next up is...???

👍👍

Hey FB , don't take it the wrong way , please . I didn't mean it in any way negative about the quick posts.

I have had a head cold all week so I may be the late starter in all this mess of heroin and mariachi static.

Sal very fancy.

Buc , great rendition.

BBG no offence taken at all mate.I know you weren't being negative..in fact I had interpreted the timeline much like you...but I thought I'd flaunt the system [biggrin]

I have never heard the tune in my life!

Who has a decent link to Ronstadt's version?

I have searched everywhere. The Zevon live version I found is really annoying hand - held quality.

BluesKing777.

EA posted the link earlier in this thread- I'd not heard it til today, either. That makes this a very good day! Can we look forward to a BK contribution??

EA posted the link earlier in this thread- I'd not heard it til today, either. That makes this a very good day! Can we look forward to a BK contribution??

Not if I can't hear the tune! It could be stunningly original, but I would rather hear it first.

I can't get the track to work - my iPad shows the play button with a cross through it - no worky.

My MacBook says I am missing the plugin - no worky.

I tried the OH's Samsung Galaxy Note (which I am a bit allergic to) - it says the video is not available for mobile devices.

Any other links, please Ipad users?

BluesKing777.

Great idea Sal,

good song choice..and thanks for posting lyrics. Never heard the song before..so tried it once..and turned the mic on :)

excuse crappy recording..and maybe I should have actually learned the song..but its a good bit of fun in it.

Some fine performances from members.....and all so different... looking forward to other members posts.

http://soundcloud.com/user3609609/carmalita

Great idea Sal,

good song choice..and thanks for posting lyrics. Never heard the song before..so tried it once..and turned the mic on :)

excuse crappy recording..and maybe I should have actually learned the song..but its a good bit of fun in it.

Some fine performances from members.....and all so different... looking forward to other members posts.

http://soundcloud.com/user3609609/carmalita

Love that one..the recording quality starts a bit dodgy then seems to improve.But the melancholy of the vocals and picking is perfect. [thumbup]....and wouldn't you rather pawn your typewriter than your guitar you silly fecker [biggrin]

Archived