Gibson Brands Forums

Gap between fret edges and fretboard binding driving me nuts

tremolo arm

The guitar in question is a Classic Custom LP, part of Gibson's "guitar of the week" programme.

I've had the guitar for a few years, but never really noticed this problem until recently.

Basically there is a gap between the fret edges and the binding nibs on the high E side. The gap is wide as the thickness of a fingernail, enough to get the string slide in there, skewing the fretted note's tonality. I notice this gap on at least 5 frets.

The problem is only on the high e side. When I look closely on the low E side, I notice some sort of glue / resin type material which connects the fret edge to the binding, but this is missing on the high e side and as a result the string slides in the gap.

I am guessing this resin has deteriorated and eventually crumbled creating this gap.

What do I need to do to refill this gap? Should I take the guitar to an expert or can I fill the gap myself?

Guest Farnsbarns

There is no resin there, not even glue (possibley some finish?), the binding is stuck on by partially melting it in acetone and it sticks itself. The gap is probably caused by the fretboard expanding due to change in relative humidity. Has the temperature dropped where you are over the last few weeks (ie, are you in the northern hemisphere?). As temperature drops so does the due point (100% relatively humidity) so a drop in temperature nearly always equates to a rise in relative humidity.

It's the first time I hear about this problem, and I never saw gaps or could feel ones by touch before.

Indeed.

I find what the OP is saying hard to visualise.

Any chance of a close-up photo OP?

The problem has posted previously here at least a couple of times that I can remember. The usual recommendation is dropping in some super glue or epoxy to fill the gap, maybe more than one application.

Here's a thread on it from last year - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/80318-problem-where-frets-meet-binding/

Here's another from a couple years ago - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/59440-high-e-string-getting-stuck-when-doing-pull-offs/

And - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/8151-string-getting-caught-between-fret-and-binding/

Gibsonc.JPG

I tried to play in such a manner to encounter this as a 'problem' and found the technique requred very odd.

Instead of bending the string towards the centre of the 'board one needs to pull it off the neck! Very strange feeling (for me at any rate!).

Fortunately for me this could never become an issue.

P.

I tried to play in such a manner to encounter this as a 'problem' and found the technique requred very odd.

Instead of bending the string towards the centre of the 'board one needs to pull it off the neck! Very strange feeling (for me at any rate!).

Fortunately for me this could never become an issue.

P.

I agree. For that reason, I just checked my 1978 S-G visually if there were gaps between fret wire ends and nibs, and there aren't. I would never become aware of them through playing.

Archived