Gibson Brands Forums

Silly purchases

LarryUK

Sunday fun...

What daft things do you buy?

I've just bought a Clockwork mouse mouse_zps39239be2.png for my other half's dog and this for her car...flower_zps8f50a3a1.png

She saw it in another car and commented that she liked it. It's a solar 'flip flap' flower.

I like to make people(and dogs)happy. When you give it to them, the look of delight makes me happy.

The craziest things I buy are expensive guitars, one after another. At least everybody who knows me thinks it's crazy. They obviously do not understand the slight sonic differences between models and brands and the need for dozens of guitars.

The craziest things I buy are expensive guitars, one after another. At least everybody who knows me thinks it's crazy. They obviously do not understand the slight sonic differences between models and brands and the need for dozens of guitars.

+1. Im gonna be a guitar hoarder

I thought my Uke was silly...but it turned out to be sort of serious o.o

I tend to save for important stuff. I'm tight-fisted for all non-musical things, except food, socks, shoes and mattresses...those have to be high quality.

I use to collect pens when i was young, use to save up stupid amounts of money and buy fountain pens.

This one cost around $1000.

1298616401IMG_44701.JPG

I've recently sold it, i learn that all these fountain pens are pointless since i can only truly use one at a time. And once you have one good fountain pen there is truly no need for 20 others. Though i still have around 10 since the others aren't really worth selling.

I currently have 10 pair of expensive Cowboy Boots of various hides (leather, pigskin, rattlesnake skin, anaconda skin, etc)colors, stitchwork, and color combinations.

along with 8 semi expensive matching belts to go with them.

and 6 different Cowboy hats...also matching my boots & belts.

5 winter coats & 4 different leather vests....all matching everything else.

about a dozen belt buckles....all Western.

Mrs.B. says i'm worse than ANY woman about my boots & accessories having to match.

eh.....my Dad taught me to DRESS....and I wear all of it at various times.

some of my boots are 20+ yrs old and still almost new in appearance, because I rotate my clothing and take care of it when i'm not wearing it, as well as re-sole'ing/heeling when needed. (I only buy leather soled/heeled boots for this very reason).

I won't even mention my size 11 EE boot-box FILLED with high quality pocket knives, probably over 50 of them, Buck Case Gerber Kershaw Bear (we live 1/2 mile from Bear cutlery and attend the 2x annual "open house sale") also a few antique and new switch-blades from THE Stiletto factory, in Rome.....they make the best and are counterfietted as much as Gibson, I can spot a fake Stiletto from 20 yards away. One of my antiques is bone handled and would fetch upward of $2000 today, I got it for $20 decades ago.

I refuse to go into the politics of this, as I want to keep this thread active, but I also have around 25 firearms from the American Frontier era...not sure how many, never counted them. Being childless and never having visitors w/children (due to our K-9 kids) they just lay about everywhere.

But they match my boots & belts......... [lol]

Wow...spilling my guts here has made me feel strangely liberated somehow........ [thumbup]

As singer/songwriter/guitarist I strive for achieving all the sounds within a certain song with only one guitar, and this calls for different and partly rather flexible instruments. Songwriting is a very personal and deeply emotional thing for me. When it comes to sing and play them, my songs rule, and all my attempts to translate moods and messages are slave to the song idea.

Nevertheless, buying, setting up and playing guitars matching my attitudes turn out to be very rational things to me, even if those decisions are determined by feelings and sensations. I don't expect other people to follow these intentions or understand them. Some try to remember me that I can only play one at a time, and then I tell them that having the option for just the right one is the very reason for owning different ones.

In case of a painter or a sculptor, I think I wouldn't argue about materials and tools since I'm unable to evaluate these things as a layperson. I believe that people who argue about playing lots of different guitars just do it because they prefer to spend their money on different things and maybe want me to do so, too.

I ... use to save up stupid amounts of money and buy fountain pens.

1298616401IMG_44701.JPG

I've recently sold it, i learn that all these fountain pens are pointless since i can only truly use one at a time. And once you have one good fountain pen there is truly no need for 20 others. ...

My only fountain pen costed me about 120 EUR about twelve years ago. I bought it because my old one had gone bad and I prefer fountain pens for writing over everything else. Same as with guitars, I can use only one at a time, but in opposite to guitars, one fountain pen does it for me. Since I am not a calligrapher and need only a single pen and a single ink colour, there is no need for more.

I use to collect pens when i was young, use to save up stupid amounts of money and buy fountain pens.

I've recently sold it, i learn that all these fountain pens are pointless since i can only truly use one at a time. And once you have one good fountain pen there is truly no need for 20 others. Though i still have around 10 since the others aren't really worth selling.

Change the word fountain pen to guitars and the same holds true... I haven't sold any guitars yet though... :unsure:

Change the word fountain pen to guitars and the same holds true... I haven't sold any guitars yet though... :unsure:

True, but i feel as if guitars have more variables.

While a fountain pen can have different nib sizes, grips and weights. Past that it truly becomes aesthetics for spending more then maybe $200 on a good fountain pen?

Reminds me of a song... Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shop

They didn't want to, 'twas all they had got

Selling atonal apples, amplified heatAnd Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet

Sadly they left, telling no one goodbyePressed Rat wore red jodhpurs, Warthog a striped tie Between them, they carried a three-legged sackWent straight 'round the corner and never came back

Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shopThe bad captain madman had told them to stopSelling atonal apples, amplified heatAnd Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet

The bad captain madman had ordered their fateHe laughed and stomped off with a nautical gateThe gate turned into a deroga treeAnd his peg leg got woodworm, broke into three

Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shopThey didn't want to, 'twas all they had gotSelling atonal apples, amplified heatAnd Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet

1298616401IMG_44701.JPG

i learn that all these fountain pens are pointless

[lol] :blink: [confused]

I used to collect watches, I love watches, I just don't have the time for it anymore... [blink]

Archived