Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Martin decision

AJ Ray

Recently I saw a ooo15m and a Gibson j35 in my local guitar store. I am undecided about the d15 and the Gib. Both guitars in the store had barely any saddle height above the slot and a pretty high action. The store woulkd have to order the d15m in but now I am concerned about saddle heights. Far too low to adjust. There would be no break angle. Also I wonder about how the finish on the d15m will age compared to the gloss Gibson. I have never had a satin finish. I really feel the d15m sounds great on videos but worry I will miss the gloss and checking etc. Can anyone offer some opinions

I have the D15m. Awesome guitar. Very comfortable neck, dark mellow arm tone. If they order a fresh one the action from the factory is typically nice and low with lots of saddle too.The J35 you will find much thumpier, growlier, and janglier. How are them words?

The only thing they have in common is the general price level. If you only can have one guitar you really need to try them both, as they are as different as night and day. I love my D15 and will never sell it, but if I were to have one guitar only I think the. J35 is much more versatile for recording, different styles etc.

Also the D15m will look the same 25 years from now, as it does today. The look you have the day you buy it is it.

I recently acquired a new J35.. and there is not much saddle at all to play with.

the action had been set by the store owner..and it is spot on... if it where high I would be concerned.. but

am i correct in thinking..a low saddle with correct action is not too much to worry about? We all know about neck resets ..but hope fully wont have to worry about that until many many years from now.

The saddle on the J35 could be lowered a tad more..

do we worry about these things too much ?

By all means, if at all possible play both guitars before you buy one. Both are fine guitars and can be used to make the music you like, but get the one that speaks to you, feels like part of you, and can be an extension of who you are. I imagine both of these guitars could be a good fit for me, but I'd have to play both to tell which one I favored.

I recently acquired a new J35..

am i correct in thinking..a low saddle with correct action is not too much to worry about? We all know about neck resets ..but hope fully wont have to worry about that until many many years from now.

I happen to prefer a light touch & use D'Addario PB extra lights, except for bumping up to .011 & .015 on the first & second strings. Have never experienced a significant change in neck angle running these lower tension strings. Don't know if that's an option for you, but if so, it would most likely put your mind at ease.

I posted about this before, but interestingly, the J35's neck angle seems to be all over the map. The one I played had a very high saddle, creating a break angle easily exceeding 45 degrees.

I own 3 Martins and 5 Gibson acoustics, so I am not prejudiced, I think. Of those two, get the J-35. It is comparable to a standard series Martin, like a 000-18. Recent 15 series Martins are braced differently than the standard models, don't have a true dove-tail neck joint, and usually have a cheaper, matte finish. The mahogany top takes some years to mature and typically won't provide the volume and sustain of a J-35, at least for a while. In other words the J-35 is actually a much better guitar. It's a low-bling model but the woods, construction and design are the same as standard Gibson acoustic models. The price is nuts, get one while you can.

I own several Gibson acoustics and love them all. When I bought each one I tried many guitars including Martins and always ended up with the Gibby. I know many people who own Martins and they love them, but I just never found one that sang to me. I also have a Guild 12 string with a satin finish. I like the way the neck feels and it certainly doesn't affect tone or playability. However, the richness of a high gloss finish just blows me away. As others have stated - get your hands on as many has you can - even if it means taking a road trip. Play a bunch and when "The One" shows up - grab it!

I own a 000-15M and a couple of Gibson slope dreads. I love my all hog 15M, but choosing one guitar between an all hog 15M and a Gibson spruce top slope I would go with the spruce top slope. To me it offers a more versatile range. OTOH, if you already have a spruce top guitar, the all hog produces a great sound. A bit of waffling, but I don't know what guitar/s you currently own.

I own a few Martins and Gibson's and I must say my D15S is truly impressive.

I prefer it over my D18GE and J-45RW for what it's worth.

Wow....that's quite a tribute.....there IS something unique about Mahogany. Speaking of which, I tried some of the new Taylor all-mahogany guitars, and they are VERY good. Taylor has one of the best necks in the business....very playable. What I can't stand is that thin, sound on most of them, at least to my ear. But these Hog Taylor's are really different. Fit and finish flawless (but remember it is an entirely CNC'd and assembled guitar, not really luthier in my opinion, but that aside.....best sounding Taylors I've played.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/guitars-more/new-all-mahogany-guitars-now-available

Archived