Gibson Brands Forums

Unique repair for top on a 1970's J45 Deluxe

DonCarlos

Last spring, I first came across this Gibson in one of our many pawn shops I routinely visit here in the Las Vegas area.

I watched the price drop steadily from $1399 to it's current $979 price tag. I have to say that it plays and sounds beautiful. but I cannot get past the rather strange repair to the top. The pawn operator said "That's how it came to us and we wish it hadn't in that condition,,,,,but". I believe it's a 70's made, has a six digit stamped number and Made in USA below that on back of the headstock. Pretty thick cover over the serial number but started with a 6.

The colored triangular mirror is superglued over a hole of about the same size. I would guess that since the rest of the top does not show deterioration or much wear, the hole was some sort of puncture. Pretty clean hole, ( I took an inspector mirror with me this visit. I just had to take a gander if the guitar was still there).

I have no intention of buying this guitar at that price, but am interested at what price the shop ultimately let's it go at.

I just wanted to pass along these photos of this great sounding guitar and include the bedazzle glass patch that someone slapped on with superglue. And yes I could see remnants of the superglue on one of the edges of the mirror. No doubt that the patch will hold...."But come on owner, doing this to a Gibson"!

And if the original owner frequents this Forum, it would be great to hear the story behind this damage and repair.

IMG_8980_zpsacfb515b.jpg[/url]

IMG_8981_zpsbd563ca5.jpg[/url]

IMG_8978_zps97b9f313.jpg[/url]

IMG_8979_zpsf20547a8.jpg[/url]

IMG_8973_zpsd9798464.jpg[/url]

this reminds me of one of my own. the bridge was held in place with bolts and pennies used as washers while the glue dried. the hardware remains. i wouldn't want anyone to fix MY guitar this way but I bought her like that and i have left it alone. it think it's a cool character. that being said, if this J45 were a cooler model, then I would buy it and leave it. for the right price, of course. unfortunately, this isn't that cool of a model so it loses more points. just IMHO

Penny2.jpg

think it's a cool character.

I agree it does give it some character. From afar it looked like it was an adjustable bridge.

Okay now this gives me an idea for a new thread. Show us unique guitar repairs (the stranger, the better). Might be interesting.

I have to say that it plays and sounds beautiful. but I cannot get past the rather strange repair to the top.

That burst alone screams 1970s.

If you read enough posts it seems that 9 out of 10 of these Norlin-era guitars plays and sounds great. So I can only assume that I just keep running into that 1 out of 10 which sounds like it was stuffed with old t-shirts.

this reminds me of one of my own. the bridge was held in place with bolts and pennies used as washers while the glue dried.

Bolting down a lifting bridge is an incredibly common repair although the pennies are a nice touch, especially if they are Indian Head pennies.

My favorite are those wingnuts who drill through the top of a guitar to install a volume knob or for some other reason and take out a brace in the process.

Archived