Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 #423

I just hope the picture uploads so that this isnt a disaster. I will put up some decent pictures of it later- trying to piece together family story behind the guitar. It has been in the family for over 100 years- and is in beautiful condition> I know the accoustics started with serial #100 back in 1902- but Im having dificulty finding pictures or info to campare this tag placement and numbering to> Any suggestions? I am mainly interested in knowing --- how and where these Early Guitars were distributed. I understand that there are only 300 other Gibsons made at the time.. Any Help would be appreciated Click on the picture to expand

post-59818-002583900 1381205720_thumb.jpg

We need more information, including more photos. The current photo simply raises questions. That doesn't appear to be a Gibson sticker/numbering system. Those tuners aren't original. The LG-1 was first built during WWII, so, if you've correctly identified the model, the family can't have had the guitar for over 100 years.

We need more information, including more photos. The current photo simply raises questions. That doesn't appear to be a Gibson sticker/numbering system. Those tuners aren't original. The LG-1 was first built during WWII, so, if you've correctly identified the model, the family can't have had the guitar for over 100 years.

appreciate the insight, when I get back in town on Thurs ill get some real photos put up, and we will go from there. Thanks again

Interesting and I am looking forward to some pics.

I believe though that there were guitars made in the late 1920s and early 1930s that had 3 digit FONs ink stamped on the neck block.

The tuners, if original, could not date any earlier than the early 1930s as that is when the Phillips head screw comes into existence.

After speaking with my mother, to get a better feel for the date of the pictures of my Grandmother holding the guitar>> She was born in 1909 and 'appears to be in her early teens' so ballpak the date around 1925. Interesting point about the phillips head screws--- Not happy about it, but by late this week or early next week-ill have a full Photo breakdown of the guitar and lets see what the consensus is. Thanks you for your input and look forward to your future insights.

The tuners are clearly not original, as you can see the footprint of another set of tuners underneath these. The "serial number" on the back of the headstock is not applied in a way that is consistent with any Gibson numbering system that I am aware of.

Only additional pictures of the entire guitar (front and back) plus a close-up of the soundhole, plus a close-up of the headstock face, will help unravel the mystery.

As JT states, if the guitar is stamped LG-1 on the inside back, it is no older than the early 1940's, no matter what your family lore may say. The history of Gibson models is quite well established, and disagreements over the age and identification of any instrument are only likely to be within a few years and between closely-related models.

There is a huge base of experience and expertise in the identification of Gibson acoustics on this forum.

I wonder if the tag is an inventory stock number or something put there by the store that sold it just like you will see tags with the names of music stores applied to the back of the headstock.

This is my suspicion.

Archived