Gibson Brands Forums

Options for SG with damaged Gibson logo

Thirtyplus

I recently traded for my first SG. It is a worn brown faded mid about 10 years old. The guy who had it installed Seymour Duncan 59's and it plays and sound fantastic.

The only issue is a cosmetic one. It obviously had an accident at some stage and the headstock has a little damage on the 'n' in Gibson. That's fine as 'sh1t happens' but the original owner tried to fix it with ink from a gold pen. Its not that noticable from a distance but bothers me as for me its a keeper only for that cosmetic issue.

I will post actual pictures later, but can anyone advise me on how best to proceed with a repair / replacement. I really want to get this fixed as for the last few weeks its the first guitar I reach for but it really bothers me but I don't want to break the bank.

The headstock is like the one in the picture attached. Thanks in advance.

post-59881-050622800 1381327446_thumb.jpg

When you buy used instruments you must learn to expect, and accept, some wear and tear, and in many cases even repairs or modifications. This is (should be) figured into the price you pay for that specific instrument.

It is my opinion that a scratched or damaged logo is best just left alone.

When you buy used instruments you must learn to expect, and accept, some wear and tear, and in many cases even repairs or modifications. This is (should be) figured into the price you pay for that specific instrument.

It is my opinion that a scratched or damaged logo is best just left alone.

I know that is sage advice and when I bought it I thought I could live with it. Now I am not sure....

I have bought nickel pick up covers and the truss rod cover with SG written on it. Anyone any experience with this kind of repair. I wish they guy had just left the damage alone. It would be easier to live with damage than a botched repair job.

The logo is a decal applied and then finished. The right way is to take the lacquer off, take the decal off, get a genuine replacement decal, put it on, finish it. All without overspray or obvious signs of refinishing. So it isn't trivial at all, and it adds nothing to the value of it. Just getting the right decal can be difficult. Oh yes my friend, it needs to be the right one, and from them.

Good luck with it.

rct

I know that is sage advice and when I bought it I thought I could live with it. Now I am not sure....

I have bought nickel pick up covers and the truss rod cover with SG written on it. Anyone any experience with this kind of repair. I wish they guy had just left the damage alone. It would be easier to live with damage than a botched repair job.

Hello Thirtyplus and welcome here.

I hear you, a bad repair job wouldn't be to my favour, too, but I think if I could buy it for a reasonable price, I would decide to live with it in the end.

I agree with some of the others here in that I wouldn't try further repair/restoration of the logo, the return on investment just isn't there. However, if the botched repair is bothering you this much, what I suggest is to try and buff off the gold marker or paint pen that was used. The marker or whatever could be just sitting on top of the clear and may come off with some naptha and elbow grease. Failing that I'd try a little bit of fine buffing compound. Won't make it new, but the chip or whatever is hiding underneath could be better than a botched repair.

after looking at the photo, (It doesn't really show a close up) I can't see the issue as a major one

As stated in the OP "The headstock is LIKE the one in the picture".

I would still like to see a photo of the actual headstock in question.

Maybe some of the gold pen could be scraped off or chipped away. Bottom line, I would probably leave it alone, trying to fix it will be more trouble than it is worth. I feel your pain but the SG was that way when you got it and you do really like the guitar. Unless you're really OCD, this will likely be less of an issue over time. Just wait until you get your first big ding on it....

Leave it alone...just Play it more! It will gain even more "character," as time goes on.

Unless it's meant to be a pristine "display unit"/AKA Wall Art object, I wouldn't worry about a

ding in the logo. While I'm not really a fan of "manufactured relic,"...good honest relicing,

from just playing a guitar, a lot, gives it a certain personal "mojo," that ultimately looks

"cool," because of that. Much cooler, to know where every ding, and scratch came from,

than those applied at the factory, for "show." But, that's IMHO, as always. [biggrin]

CB

Archived