Gibson Brands Forums

Educate me on external acoustic preamps

kebob

I have active pickups in all but one of my guitars, so I don't use an acoustic preamp. The only guitar I have with a passive pickup is a Martin 00015m, which I installed a K&K mini pickup. I plug straight into my amp (California Blonde or Fishman Soloamp) and cannot EQ a decent sound -- it sounds very boomy and mid-rangy. Seems to have plenty of "umph" getting to the amp, but I cannot get a good sound out of it. Would an acoustic preamp improve the sound or just boost the signal?

I have active pickups in all but one of my guitars, so I don't use an acoustic preamp. The only guitar I have with a passive pickup is a Martin 00015m, which I installed a K&K mini pickup. I plug straight into my amp (California Blonde or Fishman Soloamp) and cannot EQ a decent sound -- it sounds very boomy and mid-rangy. Seems to have plenty of "umph" getting to the amp, but I cannot get a good sound out of it. Would an acoustic preamp improve the sound or just boost the signal?

Hello Kbob

The K&K pickups are designed to be used with K&K preamps. This is direct from the PU designer and has to do with the output of his PU's. yes an external pramp with EQing will offer more flexibility in tone control and will offer better overal sound then going direct.

If you are interested in a K&K Pure DI I have one that I no longer use. Feel free to PM me for more information if you like.

All the best.

Jeremy

Hello Kbob

The K&K pickups are designed to be used with K&K preamps. This is direct from the PU designer and has to do with the output of his PU's. yes an external pramp with EQing will offer more flexibility in tone control and will offer better overal sound then going direct.

If you are interested in a K&K Pure DI I have one that I no longer use. Feel free to PM me for more information if you like.

All the best.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, pm sent your way.

Ive probably bought my last pre. They do two things -- gain and eq. Instead of pres, I use EQ pedals - more than enough gain, much more flexible EQ. The Boss GE 7s I've used are a bit noisy for quiet acoustic stuff (fine in an ensemble), but the best, by far, is my latest -- a Source Audio programmable digital EQ. 7 bands, 18 dB of gain, dead quiet, true bypass, and it has 4 programmable presets for different EQ curves. Use one for your basic sound, one with a boost for solos, one with the bass rolled off for a jangly rhythm sound that cuts through the mix...or use two each for two different guitars. $150. Hard to argue with.

P

I would buy a nice useful acoustic guitar pre-amp - up to you but the famous ones are the Baggs Venue and Fishman Spectrum DI you read about here a lot.

There could be some technical guff about buffers and fluffers, but basically, they work beautifully and make the active AND passive pickups sound 'even', plus giving you feedback busters, EQ and a whole range of buttons and a D.I. for a straight to P.A. night!

Really handy!

I use my Fishman Spectrum into my little mixer for even more fiddleability, but for a raunchy sound I run the acoustic>Fishman>Tube Amp................

But if you have access to a great soundguy just use a Shure SM57 and leave the stuff at home.

BluesKing777.

I have the K&K Triniti Mini system in my SJ 200. The preamp is external and I am completely (between 100% and 200%) satisfied with the sound.

I have the Fishman Aura DI too - use it with my guitars with piezo pickups. This is a very good mashine. Worths every cent. It generates very nice sound simulations. The Fishman Aura DI has a built in tuner which is useful on stage.

But to be honest I prefere the K&K Triniti Mini for all my guitars.

Archived