Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience with the Slash pickup set??

tinman1

Hi chaps,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Seymour Duncan Slash pickup set (basically Alnico 2 Pros with hotter winding) in their Les Paul....??

The stock 490r/ 498t's in the LP I bought on ebay are useable, especially with higher amp gain, but I wonder if the slash set would be better all round (clean as well).

I've had the 59 vintage blues set in another guitar (Flying V) and fell out with the bridge pup- too bright and mid scooped. I now have an SD Custom (ceramic magnet) in the bridge of the V and its awesome....so the metal end of the spectrum is catered for in that guitar.

With the Slash set I'd be hoping for a more vintage tone than the 498t but still with enough bite for G n R, Led Zep, AC/DC, generic 70s rock type stuff..... Any opinions recived gratefully!

Hi,

I've used the alnico pro 2 in a gibson studio, gibson standard and actually in a custom shop slash.

this pickup set sound very good in high gain or clean, i use it with JCM 800 4210 ( combo ) , i can easily play led zeppelin , GNR, ACDC ....

Bonnamassa pickup set are probably very good ( i havn't try ) but very expensive.

I recommend you to try before buy, but i think you can't be disapointed.

Cheers ;-)

Hi,

I've used the alnico pro 2 in a gibson studio, gibson standard and actually in a custom shop slash.

this pickup set sound very good in high gain or clean, i use it with JCM 800 4210 ( combo ) , i can easily play led zeppelin , GNR, ACDC ....

Bonnamassa pickup set are probably very good ( i havn't try ) but very expensive.

I recommend you to try before buy, but i think you can't be disapointed.

Cheers ;-)

Thanks for your advice. I may yet stick with the stock 490r/498t set as they do cover all of these tones pretty well. Its difficult to know for sure what any alternative pickups will sound like in a particular guitar without installing them- not really possible to try before I buy in this case sadly!

Shame I don't live in the US where Seymour Duncan has a trade in policy for the first month or so!

p.s. if I could justify the price of the Bonamassa pups I'd have them already!

I've not tried the slash pups in particular, and I too was a bit 'unsure' of the 490/498 setup until I tried them. The only pups I prefer so far are the BB Pro's that I had in my old Standard. They were a little creamier in the mids to my ears and a little more 'vintage' if you will.

Bare Knuckle Mules are some nice vintage pickups with a little extra kick that are probably a nice inbetween the 490/498 and BB Pro options.

Hi chaps,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Seymour Duncan Slash pickup set (basically Alnico 2 Pros with hotter winding) in their Les Paul....??

The stock 490r/ 498t's in the LP I bought on ebay are useable, especially with higher amp gain, but I wonder if the slash set would be better all round (clean as well).

I've had the 59 vintage blues set in another guitar (Flying V) and fell out with the bridge pup- too bright and mid scooped. I now have an SD Custom (ceramic magnet) in the bridge of the V and its awesome....so the metal end of the spectrum is catered for in that guitar.

With the Slash set I'd be hoping for a more vintage tone than the 498t but still with enough bite for G n R, Led Zep, AC/DC, generic 70s rock type stuff..... Any opinions recived gratefully!

I had the SD Slash pickups in my Traditional for a while, and they are a nice set of pickups. To me, they sounded great clean and overdriven, and for what you are looking for, this set shouldn't disappoint. I've since swapped them for about 50 different sets of pickups in this guitar, and I regret getting rid of them. I don't have any experience with the 498T (I'm about to install one along with a 57 Classic in the neck) so I can't really compare it with the Slash set, but I think you will like them based on the bands you listed. Hope this helps!!

I had the SD Slash pickups in my Traditional for a while, and they are a nice set of pickups. To me, they sounded great clean and overdriven, and for what you are looking for, this set shouldn't disappoint. I've since swapped them for about 50 different sets of pickups in this guitar, and I regret getting rid of them. I don't have any experience with the 498T (I'm about to install one along with a 57 Classic in the neck) so I can't really compare it with the Slash set, but I think you will like them based on the bands you listed. Hope this helps!!

Hi Bryan, thanks for sharing your experience. It's funny, on a similar post on the Duncan forum opinion seems to strongly favour the Whole Lotta Humbucker set for this type of application. I've actually been enjoying the 490r/498t set in the last few days and experimenting with guitar knob and amp settings. Cleaner tones really pretty good with volume and tone rolled off slightly. They have a grittiness I've not heard in Duncan pups that suits Led Zep in particular.

Let us know how you find the 498t- it will be interesting to hear your comparison with the Slash set.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also consider Tonerider's Alnico II pickups...

Over the years I've bought, used, and loved Seymour Duncan pickups, but the prices have gotten too high for me.

I have an Agile LP copy (AL-3125) that is chambered like many Gibson Les Pauls are today.

The guitar was a bit on the bright side, and earlier this year I bought a set of Tonerider Alnico II Classics Set - AC2 humbuckers.

Holy freakin' cow. I paid $85US shipped for a zebra SET, less than a single new Duncan pickup these days.

Those Tonerider humbuckers sound awesome in this guitar.

They mellowed out this bright guitar just a bit, but when I play hard, the pickups give the guitar an in-your-face "spanky" sound like the keystone single coils in my strat copy, only these humbuckers do the "spanky" sound a bit bigger.

If you have the money for Duncans or similar, cool, but if you don't mind saving a few bucks, Tonerider's alnico Ii set are as good sounding as all the Duncans and Gibson pickups I've had over the years.

http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/humbuckers.html

Hi Bryan, thanks for sharing your experience. It's funny, on a similar post on the Duncan forum opinion seems to strongly favour the Whole Lotta Humbucker set for this type of application. I've actually been enjoying the 490r/498t set in the last few days and experimenting with guitar knob and amp settings. Cleaner tones really pretty good with volume and tone rolled off slightly. They have a grittiness I've not heard in Duncan pups that suits Led Zep in particular.

Let us know how you find the 498t- it will be interesting to hear your comparison with the Slash set.

So far so good with the 498T... a little mellower than the Slash set from what I recall. I'm an idiot and put the wrong volume pots in (linear vs. audio) so I still need to fix that, but the 498T is exactly what I was hoping for... sounds great with distortion, sounds good clean as well.

I like the 498t. I think with a nice amp distortion they scream and I feel it sounds great on clean as well.

So far so good with the 498T... a little mellower than the Slash set from what I recall...but the 498T is exactly what I was hoping for... sounds great with distortion, sounds good clean as well.

[thumbup]

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but had to comment. I recently installed a set of the SD shop floor custom slash pups (nickel cover) and can say that through a Marshall mg15dfx they sound no different than the epi pups I had installed in the build for mock up.

Old thread I know but had to comment. I recently installed a set of the SD shop floor custom slash pups (nickel cover) and can say that through a Marshall mg15dfx they sound no different than the epi pups I had installed in the build for mock up.

Respectfully though, the weak link in that chain is the cheap solid state practice amp. Difficult to judge anything using that.

Archived