Gibson Brands Forums

Added discount or not?

Sitedrifter

If a dealer has a 2012 model and it is no different then the 2013 model, would you ask for an additional discount because it has been hanging on the dealers wall for a year or more?

Would it bother you the guitar was 1+ years old but still new even with an extra discount applied to it? Would you opt for paying a couple hundred more to get the 2013 if both sounded and looked just as good as each other?

If it were 2009 new old stock, and it was humidified and taken care of, and the MSLP was lower in 2009 than in 2013, then maybe you can negotiate based on that?

But 2012 to 2013 and I think you overthink this. Free yourself. Make the shopping experience and hunt fun, and not a constant battle against the world.

Play it. Do you like it? Negotiate and buy it. The specs are the same. And by the way, guitars, unlike cars, get better with age.

If it were 2009 new old stock, and it was humidified and taken care of, and the MSLP was lower in 2009 than in 2013, then maybe you can negotiate based on that?

But 2012 to 2013 and I think you overthink this. Free yourself. Make the shopping experience and hunt fun, and not a constant battle against the world.

Play it. Do you like it? Negotiate and buy it. The specs are the same. And by the way, guitars, unlike cars, get better with age.

Thank you for your input. I agree it should not be a battle against the world but every time I have purchased expensive things, it is normal to have that battle (cars, homes, etc) but an expensive guitar is a new thing for me. I see your point of guitars getting better with age so a year difference should not be a reason not to buy! The 2012 model the 5* has is nice and it has the Gibson tone I always wanted. The 2012 *is* stupidly discounted and I am going there today to give her another look see as the store manager (lead tech) out new strings on, polished her up and did a mild adjustment to the saddle for a good action. Wish me luck! (I am a little nervous, LOL)

Good luck drifter.

Did the last one get returned with no hassles?

Yes it got delivered yesterday and I am just waiting for the $$$ to be posted to my account. However that is not stopping me from moving forward. I would purchase from the vendor again but they got 2 VZ in and 1 is not appealing at all (the back and front) and I doubt they will get the second posted today with pictures. But again, the 2012 is under 3k and I get $150 in store credit as well so I am pretty sure I know that I am going to do. (key words are pretty sure. LOL)

Best of luck SD... hope you find one that speaks to you! The thing I learned the most from the Gibson forum, over the other forums, is that the real joy is finding a good instrument, playing it all the time, and bonding with it and making music - as opposed to seeing some mythical holy grail tone.

Guitar stores refer to stock that is one year old, as "having it's birthday"....lol....and they DON'T like to have money tied up in an instrument that long with no return. Now you have to ask yourself...WHY is that guitar still here? It may be somewhat of a dud. Some stores will sell them at cost (50% of list) or BELOW cost just to get them out of the store and get some of their money back. If the guitar has "shop wear" from over a year of pimply faced teenagers playing it, again, I would consider further reductions. Perhaps the store owner just ordered the wrong guitar for his demographic?? In any case, I would submit that you should really think of MORE than $200 difference between a new one and the NOS one.....remember, EVERYTHING is a negotiation.....no harm in making an offer that is really favorable to you, all he can say is "NO"....ho harm, no foul!!! Cash in hand is a GREAT motivator!!!

Guitar stores refer to stock that is one year old, as "having it's birthday"....lol....and they DON'T like to have money tied up in an instrument that long with no return. Now you have to ask yourself...WHY is that guitar still here? It may be somewhat of a dud. Some stores will sell them at cost (50% of list) or BELOW cost just to get them out of the store and get some of their money back. If the guitar has "shop wear" from over a year of pimply faced teenagers playing it, again, I would consider further reductions. Perhaps the store owner just ordered the wrong guitar for his demographic?? In any case, I would submit that you should really think of MORE than $200 difference between a new one and the NOS one.....remember, EVERYTHING is a negotiation.....no harm in making an offer that is really favorable to you, all he can say is "NO"....ho harm, no foul!!! Cash in hand is a GREAT motivator!!!

I played it and it sounded good. I am going in tomorrow to try it out again as he put new 12s on it and did a setup. If it sounds even better and passes my look/play test I will bring it home. If not, they have tons of other guitars I will try until I find one. This dealer is fantastic to deal with, very patient and very knowledgeable. I am not sure a J200 is what kids love to jam on when they visit a guitar store plus this is a real nice showroom where it seems unlikely things get abused. Not sure why it is still hanging on the wall but it may not be after tomorrow.

I played it and it sounded good. I am going in tomorrow to try it out again as he put new 12s on it and did a setup. If it sounds even better and passes my look/play test I will bring it home. If not, they have tons of other guitars I will try until I find one. This dealer is fantastic to deal with, very patient and very knowledgeable. I am not sure a J200 is what kids love to jam on when they visit a guitar store plus this is a real nice showroom where it seems unlikely things get abused. Not sure why it is still hanging on the wall but it may not be after tomorrow.

I have a hunch the night will be filled with toss and turn, while visions of J-200s dance around. Good luck tomorrow - let us know - a nice 200 is wonderful.

I have a hunch the night will be filled with toss and turn, while visions of J-200s dance around. Good luck tomorrow - let us know - a nice 200 is wonderful.

I have been up since 4am. The showroom does not open until 10am. What to do in the meantime? Play my Taylor cause I think it won't be played for a while after today!

Archived