Gibson Brands Forums

Chris's Market---a little grocery store from long ago.

MissouriPicker

A song I wrote about our corner grocery store back in the 50's. Someday I'll learn to combine a good mic with a cam and avoid using the mic in the cam...lol...maybe in my next life time. Anyway, it's just a coffeehouse song. Some of the pics are mine. Others from the internet.

Love it! Thanks.

Back in the 1970s one of my hangouts was the Tompkins Corner General Store in Putnam Valley, NY which a friend of mine owned. Still had the porch with the rocking chairs and tables made of pickle barrels. If you walked in and he knew you, you often ended up being put to work for which you would get a free sandwich (and a pickle).

Wow! I really liked that. Awesome!! Apart from the great playing and singing, I especially enjoyed "the slice of real life" element of your song and performance. This is exactly what I strive for and hope to be able to pull off one day. You inspire me to try harder.

Please post some more if you have them.

Lars

There used to be a candy store in Brooklyn NY on 89th street and third avenue (Bay Ridge section). John's Candy store. He had comic books, candy, a soda fountain. egg creams. All of us dirty street urchins would find our way there at least twice a week in the summer.

You just took me there again. :)

With all those memories just laying-around, might be time to write a song about them, guys. Write it while it's there.

DonCarlos, Chris's Market was at 8th & Prospect in Kansas City, Mo. There was also a barbershop (Ross's), a drugstore (Sam's), a candy store (run by a little old lady), a two-pump Star gas station, a shoe repair store, and Lionel's TV repair---all of it within about a 50-60 yard area. It was like our own Mayberry. As little kids, my friends and I were probably up there as much as we were at home.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. None of this songwriting stuff is rocket science. It's already in there. Just start writing it down. [thumbup]

I asked because I seem to recall, a couple such stores, down from the now removed Skelly station and St.Mary's HS in the 60's, I too grew up in Independence until my early teens. Not to familiar with KC except Swope Park .........the KC A's, and FairyLand (for you others, that was our Disneyland at the time).

Memories of the midwest.

DonCarlos, the St. Mary's building is still there. The school has been closed. My daughter graduated from High School there. Skelly stations used to be all over this area. All gone now. The places you recall were likely down toward Independence Square where the courthouse is. Remember Clintons Drug Store? It's still there. They've made it a permanent thing, like Truman's home..................Small world........Fairyland has been gone for decades now. Had some fun times out there. Now the whole area around 75th & Troost is like a war zone.

Wow. Flood of memories Actually the store I remember was down College towards Noland. A very old couple had it and the man, (mayebe in his 80's) would tell me stories about the James family (Frank and Jesse) that lived outside Liberty, MO. or somewhere across the river. Don't recollect the town. But I remember his stories. I just put it off as an old man telling me tales, but that was about 1962 so just maybe he knew the James family. I Remember Katz pharmacy and then first music store where I got the bug, was somewhere near a theatre (the Granada if I am right). Saw Hard Days Night there. I remember seeing Harry Truman a few times out and about and went to school with his great niece. And even Roger Maris's place in Raytown I think.

Wow. No need to keep boring the readers...LOL.

Great place Independence. Thanks for the walk backwards. Go Kansas City A's lol

That's great, MP!

I like how you gave the backing on your Dove a little jaunty, very catchy feel instead of a slow one for what is really a sad song.

The video is nice too, with the old b&w photos juxtaposed on your video - maybe make your playing bits B&W as well? Or even get someone to film you at an old market store? Just a suggestion - it is nice as it is.

BluesKIng777.

Archived