Gibson Brands Forums

Vixen guitarist Jan Kuehnemund has lost her cancer battle at the age of 51.

jaxson50

The girl group founder and lead guitarist passed away on Thursday.

The Minnesota native formed Vixen in high school and moved the band to Los Angeles in the mid-1980s, later signing to EMI and releasing a self-titled debut album in 1988.

Vixen also hit the singles charts with "Cryin'" and "Edge of a Broken Heart," and the bandmates appeared in directorPenelope Spheeris' film "The Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years."

Regulars on MTV, the group followed up their debut album with "Rev It Up" in 1990.

Kuehnemund briefly reunited the band's classic line-up for VH1's "Bands Reunited" in 2004.

I knew some of their hits. The bandname caused amusement here since the correct English pronunciation of Vixen is a vulgar word for masturbation in German, and caused increased popularity of the band. Nevertheless, this is a sad incident. R.I.P., Jan. [sad]

My football team is wearing pink for breast cancer awareness.

I've known a lot of people who have had cancer and passed or are currently battling it.

There are many amazing organizations that are doing everything they can to wipe out this terrible disease. It would be nice if one day we can say with a certainty that no one need ever suffer from cancer again.

RIP Jan.

Archived