Gibson Brands Forums

Which LP?

Jammin'

Play as many as you can and buy the one that sounds and feels the best to you.

Hello!

I can only agree with that. Just one little hint: from this year, Traditionals became completely solid-bodied (no weight-relief applied) - if it matters to You. Who knows how long they will be made like that.

Cheers... Bence

Play as many as you can and buy the one that sounds and feels the best to you.

I've played both, and didn't really feel or hear a difference, other than weight. Are there any problems with either, or does it all just come down to personal preference?

Hello!

I can only agree with that. Just one little hint: from this year, Traditionals became completely solid-bodied (no weight-relief applied) - if it matters to You. Who knows how long they will be made like that.

Cheers... Bence

I like the look of the pick guard on the traditional. Is it easy to get and put a pick guard on the standard? If so, then I will get a standard since it's lighter. If not though, weight isn't a big issue to me, so I'll go traditional

I like the look of the pick guard on the traditional. Is it easy to get and put a pick guard on the standard? If so, then I will get a standard since it's lighter. If not though, weight isn't a big issue to me, so I'll go traditional

Usually, Standards are delivered with a pickguard in the case - for the owner to decide whether He/She wants to put it on the guitar or not.

Cheers... Bence

With the weight relief there are differences so it is up to you.

Standard:

Burstbucker pickups

modern weight relief

2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3-way pickup selector, push/pull coil taps, phase control, pure bypass.

Traditional:

No weight relief

57 humbucker pickups

2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3-way pickup selector.

Modern weight relief is not the traditional weight relief with the nine holes, it is triangle shaped bigger holes in it.

And of course no weight relief is like the old Les Pauls used to be - no holes except for the controls and switch and wire channel in those guitars.

Only one that has no holes in the back (or plastic covers) is the Supreme the most expensive one. (usually $3699 or so).

The next one down does have plastic covers in the back ($3399).

I would say old hard rock sounds ('60's Eric Clapton and Cream and that era) is the Traditional this year in 2013 with no weight relief.

The other - Standard is - well - usually the Standard because this year I think there is no Chambered Les Paul.

They all sound fine (I have a Chambered and it sound fine but is cheaper than those two you are looking at).

Well, the choice is yours.

At one online store it seems the customers are either getting the Signature T or the Traditional (with no weight relief).

But I do not know at all stores, perhaps that can be looked up.

And the colors are different for each model.

Probably for the same price you can also get an es-339 semi-hollow (335 smaller) type guitar as the Standard Les Paul price.

Don't be drawn in to the idea that weight relief makes a difference to sound. It simply doesn't.

Comparing the five Gibson and one Epiphone Les Paul guitars of mine, the Traditional 2013 puts out more overtone level and has the most consistent sustain over all the strings and across the whole fingerboard. Of course, I can't tell if it's more due to the late 50s neck or the massive body. The Alex Lifeson Axcess comes very close and has a relatively thick neck, too.

My weight relieved ones feature a 60's slim-taper neck and have a dull note each which is the same on a particular guitar on either E1st, B2nd and G3rd. My seventeen-hole Swiss-cheese weight relieved Custom Shop LP is affected significantly stronger than the modern weight relieved ones and about the same as my massive Epiphone.

Only one that has no holes in the back (or plastic covers) is the Supreme the most expensive one. (usually $3699 or so).

Remember the Supreme has a chambered body. All the wiring has to be done through the pickup and jack plate holes. The jack plate hole is a larger one for that reason, too, hence the larger jack plate.

Fully individual likes and dislikes! I have sat in GCs Platinum room and played the $1500 versions versus the $3500 and it boils down to estethics at some point. I always sit down and play a few in my price range that im looking to spend and grab the one that grabs me.

Good luck! Getting a new LP is always cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived