Gibson Brands Forums

Which bridge for firebird vii??

Ebhaugen

That is a good looking bird! What's the weight like? Had a tokai one 7 or 8 years ago and it was really heavy and hard to play. My pal had an epi one though and it didn't feel quite as heavy to me. Love the maestro on these!

Why did epi stop making these, great looking guitars.

According to master luthier Dan Erlewine, 90% of 'tuning' problems are the strings hanging up in the nut slots. All you need to do is put a little graphite powder in the slots, same kind that's used for lubricating padlocks (get it at a hardware store). Tuning problems are usually not caused by the tuners or bridge.

Nice Firebird, BTW.

Great advice - I believe I have some graphite around the house that I could use.

On another note - has anyone else noticed that there is no way to put the guitar in the case without the maestro depressing and therefore throwing the whole guitar out of tune when you take it out?

On another note - has anyone else noticed that there is no way to put the guitar in the case without the maestro depressing and therefore throwing the whole guitar out of tune when you take it out?

Do you mean the case depresses the Maestro even when it's flipped towards the back like in your pic? [confused]

Oh yeah - whichever way you put the bar it either raises or lowers the tune. Pretty weird - it's got the original case.

I don't like the idea of carrying a guitar around with the whammy depressed. Just seems like you're asking for trouble.

Oh yeah - whichever way you put the bar it either raises or lowers the tune. Pretty weird - it's got the original case.

I don't like the idea of carrying a guitar around with the whammy depressed. Just seems like you're asking for trouble.

Hmmm, that is strange. I have an SG with Maestro and when I put it in the case with the Maestro flipped facing towards the back strap button, it fits fine when the case is closed.

Hmmm, that is strange. I have an SG with Maestro and when I put it in the case with the Maestro flipped facing towards the back strap button, it fits fine when the case is closed.

Do you have the epi case or Gibson? I wonder if the gibby case is cut better.

When I put the bar back towards the back strap button, I hit the strings, and as I close the case I can hear the pitch go up.

Do you have the epi case or Gibson? I wonder if the gibby case is cut better.

When I put the bar back towards the back strap button, I hit the strings, and as I close the case I can hear the pitch go up.

I have a regular Epi SG case.

Do you have any troubles with the Maestro when using it while playing?

I have a regular Epi SG case.

Do you have any troubles with the Maestro when using it while playing?

Not too many. I do notice the wound strings don't always return to pitch very well. I'm hoping some graphite in the nut will solve that.

Archived