Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio with 'sticky neck'

68blues

10 years ago I bought a Les Paul Studio, the tone was really good, the colour was classy. Didn't really like the gold hardware. A fine guitar by sound and sight.

Here lies the problem....the neck. My hand didn't glide up and down like I think it should have. After I had finished playing I had to use guitar polish to get rid of what looked like greasy marks.

Any of you guys had the same problem. Did me a big favour bye the way, I saved for the standard. Paid £600 for the studio and got £400 for a trade in. Quite happy at that.

I have an alpine white '06 studio. I seem to remember some stickiness in the neck in the beginning but it was never anything that bothered me. I also cannot remember how long it may have lasted for because I haven't noticed or thought about it for years. I'm guessing it was getting used to playing on a nitro finished guitar as that was my first guitar with that type of finish.

it's the nitro, it's it's mailable long after it's set. it will wear down eventually,

if you are in a humid warm climate - it can be a pretty persistent annoyance,

keep a cotton cloth handy and wipe it down..

Some guys sand down the neck, not a fan of that option.

it's the nitro, it's it's mailable long after it's set. it will wear down eventually,

if you are in a humid warm climate - it can be a pretty persistent annoyance,

keep a cotton cloth handy and wipe it down..

Some guys sand down the neck, not a fan of that option.

Oh no, I am the same as yourself, I would never go near a guitar with sandpaper.

Agree, dirt builds up gradually and makes it sticky, but cleaning with polish does the trick.

I use Gibson polish.

Good recommendation.

I also have a special experience with sticky necks. One of my brand-new Gibson guitars had that problem exactly on the areas that are supported by the lining in its case. I found out that they used some polish at the dealer in Cologne, and that residues were left on the neck when it was put back into the case. As a consequence, the lining of the case got soaked with the polish. I put cleansing tissues between guitar and neck and changed them from time to time, and finally after a few weeks the problem was gone.

I had that guitar for a year and the problem was as bad as when I first bought it.

The problem was I never fell in love with it because of the neck.

Like I said it did me a favour and made me save for the standard.

Man....I had a smile on my face for weeks when I bought that, still get a kick when I open the guitar case.

You guys know what I mean!

Archived