Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar, Amp pairings

charlie brown

I've found that I have all the amp sounds that I could possibly want all in one (very small) box, but to name a couple, I like to play my ES335 using the clean (Fender) or Crunch (AC30) and my Les Pauls through the Lead (Marshall. I've recently downloaded a "pack" of pre-sets from the Yamaha site and been playing around with a Marshall Bluesbreaker like sound, which is proving interesting.

Ian.

Yes, the THR10 is an amazing little box. It has a wide range and does extremely well with my humbuckers, P90s and A/E. It's the quickest, easiest to plug in and go, so it gets used the most.

However, when it's time to turn it up a bit:

Humbuckers are a perfect sweet with the HT5R gain channel thru a 4 x 12 - the distortion is sooooo smooth and rich ... The clean channel is very sterile which makes it ideal for the RP1000.

OTOH, there just isn't enough ... *something* (sparkle, chime?) for the Ultra-339 thru the Blackstar. That's where the Bugera V22 comes in. Just the right blend of Fender and Vox to do sweet justice to the ProBuckers mounted in the semi. The V22 is also very nice with P90s ... anything really from clean to mild grit.

Anything dirtier than a mild grit and I go to the Blackstar.

I've never played an LP thru a Marshall, but I've heard dozens of bands doing that, and it is a classic sound that I love. My preference, for what I play, is a clean sound with a little reverb and delay. You cannot beat a Fender clean sound and reverb. That said, I got rid of a Fender Princeton Chorus SS amp when I bought my Roland 80XL Cube SS amp a couple of years ago. I really like its clean JC 120 channel, but also find its amp modeling fun. Many people complain about hiss from a Cube, but I've never heard it in mine. Oh, and I usually play a Carvin SH550 and occasionally an ES-335 thru it.

I also have an original Boogie Express 5:50, and I especially love what it does to single coils. It has a very bright clean channel (not as good for traditional jazz), adds a wonderful textural quality and a very creamy blues and crunch sound. Not as crazy about the burn channel, which really sizzles, but that style is not really a part of my vocabulary. I usually play a Carvin SH550, but I really like a Tele thru it.

Which is why my kosher a$$ don't have a Marshall...lol. JKJK

Lol,,, I almost sent coffee out my nose.

I guess I love it because it was the first real pairing I had when I started getting serious back in my 20s.

I had my old custom and my JCM 50W head and cab. The 50W was plenty loud and I don't know why anyone would want

a 100W unless your playing stadiums. Which I didn't.

The sound was classic as ZZ said. I'm a sucker for classic sounds.

There is a new little combo Marshall out that is very interesting to me.

It's a 5W tube amp. Something to do with Slash whom I have no desire of sounding like but I do like the idea

of a tube bedroom amp.

The only thing separating us is the $729 list price here.

I guess I've played through a whole batch of amps through the years and, back in the '70s, worked to get 120 tube watts of 12" dual speaker decibels which obviously never was needed in a saloon or even in a park band shell playing rock or country.

I still have the amp and it's marvelously versatile and it makes a fine end table in the house because even with its original equipment casters, it's far, far to heavy for me to enjoy hauling for any gig I've done in 10 years.

Bottom line is that my #1 current use amp is a silly little $150 Kustom 30-watt SS acoustic-electric amp that works just fine with either an AE or an archtop, the two sorts I'm mostly using nowadays. It sits on a nice luggage-carrier with wheels with a Zoom 707II pedal that I only use to add a bit of thickness and a plug-in strip. In a coffee-house sorta venue you can even plug in a mike and be plenty loud without breaking up. In a saloon with maybe 100-150 seats or so, if it's raised to barstool altitude, it's plenty loud for electric blues/rock/country/cowboy. On a 500-seat theater stage it's plenty, too, for a solo, miked or not.

I know there are "tone nuts" out there who'll spend bundles on amps in hopes of reproducing some "tone" they believe that they hear. I just don't personally get it, though. I've had tube amps - still have 2, one a Fender and one that's outa biz from the '70s that's my 120-watter that is IMHO "better" than a similar twin because it seems a shade more versatile. Both are so @#$% heavy they sit as end tables.

But IMHO it's me that makes the music. I have different guitars with different characteristics, although all the electrics are HB pups, the 12 a single pole mag soundhole pup. They're more like "mood rings" in that I'm likely to play any of 'em depending on how I feel for the shape and strings more than "tone."

If I want a little more treble, mid or bass... I just mess with the guitar and/or amp settings. Every "room" responds differently, too, so I figure what I might hope to hear myself is likely not what an audience hears regardless.

Seriously, I only have time nowadays to do maybe a half dozen benefit type gigs a year. In the past five years I've used the little Kustom for a couple, plugged direct to the board for a couple and into whatever the heck amp was handy and may or may not have been miked. I doubt that an audience knew or cared about tone specifics, and it was quite loud enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that for some applications a picker might want a specific amp for a certain type of gig. I just look back and figure that after a certain point for anything I've done, it's just not that big a deal and I was trying to buy both "volume" and "appearance" regardless that the price tag wasn't far more than I needed for volume and that appearance itself is subjective.

m

Yeah, most of my own amps are "tube/Valve!" And, pretty much, always have been.

I do have 2 Solid State (1 is a AVT-20 Marshall "Valvestate," and...the other

a 32 year old Fender (Japan) Sidekick 30 Reverb.) Both, sound pretty decent!

So, I have no real prejudice, for or against any particular "frame." Although,

I do admit, my all time favorites seem to be Fender, Marshall, and Vox. In

varying order...depending on what I need/want, at the time...regardless of

guitar, really. So...???

CB

Archived