Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
djthundermusic

Just purchased SCS.1d, platter runs slow

So I just purchased a Scs.1D midi table. Technically not new. It was a demo model, and apparently spent some time on the shelf as well. It was off from ebay. From the sticker, it looks like it was manufactured in 2009. It did come with the firmware update.

It looks brand new, and even all the cables and power supply were in original plastic, unopened. Same with the vinyl and slip mat.

Connects up just fine, and everything works expect the platter doesn't seem to be spinning quite fast enough.

Here is a video I made and posted to the seller, so understand that I am primarily talking to the seller on Ebay about this item in the video, and later thought it might be good to post it here.

A few details about what I am using:

Dell E5400

- currently using the built in Firewire port, will try it with a new Adaptec PCMCIA firewire card I

am getting today.

Intel T9600 Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz CPU, 6MB or L2 cache

4 GB of PC6400 RAM

Sound - tried with both my VMS4.1 (as audio card and mixer) and just built in sound for testing

purposes.

So the machine is well above spec for what is needed. Also, had wireless turned off.

It feels like a mechanical issue, not a communication issue, given in this case it's only midi going over the firewire, and because everything else works, no glitching in the sound... just too slow, and a bit warbling.. like a real record with lots of little tiny warps.

I let the table just spin for a while, thinking maybe with a long time on the shelf, it just needed to run for a while, work the bearings in a bit. It does seem to run a little closer to speed after a while, but not perfect, and if the motor is high torque, I'm thinking this shouldn't really be an issue anyway.

After doing some reading, I am wondering if maybe I need to turn up the torque of the platter, in setup? Maybe someone messed with the setting and turned it way down? Could something like that create this problem?

Anyone seen this issue? Otherwise, this deck looks like it could have come off the manufacturing line yesterday.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance :)

Brady

Brady can you please list the exact version of the following:

DJ / Audio Software Used

DaRouter Version AND Preset (if used)

Firmware of the SCS.1d

The only time I've seen this issue is when an incompatible BMTE (DaRouter preset) and Traktor (V1) preset is used. Which means it's likely not the mechanical but the MIDI being sent (from the center encoder wheel) to the software.

Thanks,

GPA~DJ

Brady can you please list the exact version of the following:

DJ / Audio Software Used

DaRouter Version AND Preset (if used)

Firmware of the SCS.1d

The only time I've seen this issue is when an incompatible BMTE (DaRouter preset) and Traktor (V1) preset is used. Which means it's likely not the mechanical but the MIDI being sent (from the center encoder wheel) to the software.

Thanks,

GPA~DJ

I try to be thorough, and I could have sworn I posted the software being used, and my operating system, etc, but apparently not. I seem to be off my game today.

- I am using VirtualDJ Pro 7.4, and yes, I pay for my software, so it's a legal non-virus infested

version...LOL

- Because VirtualDJ has native support, I do not run DaRouter, so that is a non-issue. I did install

the ASIO driver, because while the scs.1d does not have a sound card, apparently the midi drivers for

the scs.1d are part of that driver. I did install according to instructions, with the unit on but

not connected until the driver install instructed to install.

- Also, I checked the firmware, and it is the current 1.27 version firmware.

- I am running Windows 7 32bit. After doing some digging around, it appears that I should go in and

switch the Firewire driver to "Legacy", as a lot of people have been having issues with firewire,

using the default Win7 drivers. Given it is my understanding that the platter has a resolution of

4000 per rotation, maybe the default reduced speed of the firewire via Win7 has been creating the

issue?

- ?? I will check and see what version of the ASIO driver I installed.

Anyway, I will try switching to the legacy driver tonight (I am not home now), plus I have the new Adaptec Firewire PCMCIA card to put in.

As you can see, I am trying everything I can think through...HA. If you can come up with some ideas to send my way too, that would be great.

Brady

Okay, I checked on the ASIO driver, and it is the current 1.23 version, and again, the firmware is 1.27. I tried it again tonight with the new Adaptec Firewire card, and did the change to the Legacy driver that is mentioned around. I also went into settings and turned the torque all the way up, just incase it was set way low or something. I've tried it with the VMS4.1's built in sound card, and just tried it with the laptop's sound card for testing incase the VMS4.1 sound card or use of the USB port was causing any problems. The results have remained the same, sadly.

Tempted to open up the back of this thing, being that I am a repair tech by day. But also, being a repair tech by day, I know once I've opened it up, I may not be able to return it successfully. Not because I am not skilled, but because screws get marked, and people know it's been opened... I see it all the time at my day job...LOL. But crap, if it's just a little spec of dust blocking the laser or something...LOL.

I might have to contact the seller and ask him if it would effect his return policy, if I open it up, to make sure there isn't something simple. That's usually not the case, but this thing works really good other than this one issue. I think it is either something with the motor, or it is something interrupting the signal for the platter. It's not software/darouter, being it's not being used.

Anyone else have an idea? It's a beautiful controller, but I don't have the cabbage to buy new. It's not a necessity or even particularly practical for my mobile business, but a pair of these would be a dream come true to use at the house, and occasionally take out to play.

Just to recap what I have done, and what the problem is. Please do watch the video as well, as it demonstrates the problem well.

I made this video below for the guy who sold it to me, but you should be able to hear the problem:

I read through some threads here, and watched a variety of youtube videos, read reviews, read on the stanton forums and site. Here's what I've done:

1. I made sure this thing has the latest firmware and the latest ASIO driver, from the Stanton Site (though what was on the disk was the same as what was on the Stanton site already)

2. I made sure the torque setting was turned up,

3. Since I have Windows 7 32-bit I loaded the firewire "Legacy" driver to fix that problem, and did the registry fix as well.

4. I also am using a recommended Adaptec Firewire PCMCIA card.

5. My machine is a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo T9600 Intell CPU with 4 GB or PC6400 RAM. So everything is way above spec (for what is needed).

6. I am running Virtualdj 7.4

7. I loaded the ASIO driver, stepped through the process of telling it no, I don't have the mixer, but yes I have the deck, and didn't connect the unit to firewire until the install told me to... all went well.

8. I have also installed the latency checker that Stanton mentions, and ran that... no issues found, everything in the green while running VDJ with the scs.1d connected, and running, scratching, whatever... no bandwidth issues to be found.

9. Tried it using my VMS4.1 as the soundcard and mixer, also tried it WITHOUT the VMS4.1, using internal sound, also tried it with just a native Instruments Audio DJ 2 and the scs.1d deck. All with the same results. The scs.1d worked every time, but with the same issue.

10. also downloaded a demo version of Tracktor Pro 2 (30 min trial each start), went to all the hassle of setting up DaRouter for it, setting up the Audio 2 DJ for Tracktor, loading the correct TSI from the DaRouter folder... It seems like Tracktor takes control away from the deck if it doesn't sense you are actively scratching or pitch bending. Works at first, then when I scratch, it starts playing similiar to how VDJ is playing, but oddly it seems a bit faster rather than a bit slow.

- It does seem that if I let it run for about an hour or so, it runs smoother and closer to what it should... close enough in tracktor, that tracktor will take control away from it after a second of the "warbly", until you scratch again... hence, it would probably be reasonably useable in Tracktor once it warmed up...but that seems to take a bit over an hour... almost normal in VDJ, but not quite... and not good enough to use.

Anyway, just wondering if there is some magic setting I am missing? Or have I just got a lemon and should send it back? Or is this just the way it runs?

Also, I measured the voltage output of the DC power supply. Says it is 24V, measures 23.63Volts. That's probably fine, but that is an unloaded measurement. Some power supplies list the DC voltage they provide on a load, which is different than under no load. Unloaded is generally higher. That said, electronic components also usually function normally for a range of voltage, but below a certain voltage they may not function properly, and of course too much voltage will send them to paperweight heaven (not the case here).

Can someone at Gibson/Stanton please verify if 23.63V DC is what is expected to be seen when measuring the DC voltage out on a 24V power adapter for a Stanton SCS.1D?

The voltage should be fine...

and your settings appear to be fine...

I'm thinking something in the Pitch Range settings is not seeing the Fader in the middle as Zero pitch.

Can you verify if there are any changes when you change the Pitch Range, and also what happens when you remove the record from the platter (thus stopping the encoder from spinning)?

More to come,

GPA~DJ

The voltage should be fine...

and your settings appear to be fine...

I'm thinking something in the Pitch Range settings is not seeing the Fader in the middle as Zero pitch.

Can you verify if there are any changes when you change the Pitch Range, and also what happens when you remove the record from the platter (thus stopping the encoder from spinning)?

More to come,

GPA~DJ

For clarification, the problem isn't only present when the pitch is centered, rather I was pointing out that the pitch was centered to indicate that the track "should" be playing at the right speed... hence, all the deck settings were correct but the track was still playing slow.... which is why I was showing the pitch fader as centered.

To show this, I have done another video to show me doing a pitch range change, as well as moving the pitch. As described in the video below, I can adjust the speed up to about normal if I move the pitch fader into the positive, but the "warbly" or "badly warped record" sound is still present, and when the pitch fader is moved back to center, the track is still playing slow.

Also, in response to the question about removing the vinyl record and slip mat, as expected the track simply stops.

Here is the video:

I appreciate you help. Unless you can think of something that will likely solve the problem, I will probably send the unit back to the seller. Then just decide whether to have him do a refund or replacement.

I am curious though, are these not suppose to have a serial number on them? It has the normal date of manufacture (Dec 2009), but I don't see an actual serial number on it anywhere. Just curious if this is normal?

Hi Brady,

I've spoke with the Hardware Development team in California and I've tested it myself as well

if you press Setup and See

• Deck - Version - 101G - 1.2.7

in the LCD windows you should not have the issue you are experiencing.

I've tried it with and without other devices present and the SCS.1D plays perfectly fine.

BTW: 'm running VDJ Pro V7.4

Try just connecting the Deck by itself to the computer and using the default audio settings with no other controller connected to confirm nothing else is affecting the MIDI. If the deck is still 1/2 speed, then definitely return / exchange it.

Sorry for the trouble but it looks like that particular .1d is in need of service.

Hope this helps,

GPA~DJ

Hi Brady,

I've spoke with the Hardware Development team in California and I've tested it myself as well

if you press Setup and See

• Deck - Version - 101G - 1.2.7

in the LCD windows you should not have the issue you are experiencing.

I've tried it with and without other devices present and the SCS.1D plays perfectly fine.

BTW: 'm running VDJ Pro V7.4

Try just connecting the Deck by itself to the computer and using the default audio settings with no other controller connected to confirm nothing else is affecting the MIDI. If the deck is still 1/2 speed, then definitely return / exchange it.

Sorry for the trouble but it looks like that particular .1d is in need of service.

Hope this helps,

GPA~DJ

Thank you for your help. The test you suggested is indeed one of the tests I tried, and the firmware was as described, "101G - 1.2.7". I tried with only the deck connected and no other midi, and just using the internal sound card, and then as an additional test using a native Instruments Audio 2 DJ card I also have (with nothing else connected other than the scs.1d. The VMS4.1 was not connected, or any other midi, sound card, or other device for those two tests, and the problem persisted.

I sent it back actually on Thursday afternoon, as the seller has a bit of a short return time frame, and I didn't want to give him a reason to reject my return :) I had ran those tests previous, and noted the firmware version.

I want to say again, that I greatly appreciate your help on this, and follow through. :) I am asking the seller for a replacement, and your response gives me more confidence in doing so as opposed to a refund. I will try to get some public youtube videos posted when I get the replacement working deck.

Also, can I order replacement scribble strips for this unit? Hopefully the pair of these decks I will acquire over the next week or so will not have issues, but I have heard these go out or have issues over time. They are not a deal breaker for me... I am not aware of any other midi controller that even has them, so as long as the platter and other functions work as they should, I can live without the scribble strips... that said, they are damn cool... so if I can order replacements and just solder them in, I would be a fan of that option. As I think I mentioned before, I am a repair tech, and have 16 years experience doing far above "consumer grade" solder rework, as the stuff I work on has to deal with extremely adverse conditions. So I would be very capable of replacing these, if it is possible to order these little LCD replacement screens :)

Thanks again :)

P.M. me your direct into and I'll have the service department verify part # and availability.

Not sure how user friendly the replacement procedure is, but i do know our team has and will continue to do these under warranty.

That said you having 16 year of experience, you may not find it complicated or time consuming [biggrin]

Good luck

GPA~DJ

After experiencing this with my first 1D and now a brand new one which I recently purchased, I am convinced that the motors in these things need to "warm up". Right now it takes about 10 minutes for my old 1D and at least 25 for my new 1D to get up to proper speed.

After experiencing this with my first 1D and now a brand new one which I recently purchased, I am convinced that the motors in these things need to "warm up". Right now it takes about 10 minutes for my old 1D and at least 25 for my new 1D to get up to proper speed.

I have two of these units which I purchased new. It doesn't matter if they 'warm up' for two hours or more, the result is still the same. Well, actually, one of them won't even come on at all anymore, but my point is simply that the turntable motors are not up to snuff. The speed wanders on all of them, hence the "wow" or "warble" sound that everyone complains about. My Numark V7s are rock solid accurate. So are my Numark and Technics Turntables. Stanton just didn't get it right.

You'd expect much better from $1500 unit, but 'it is what it is', I reckon. That is why you have to use Da Router. It' a band-aid that takes control anytime you aren't starting, stopping, or scratching.., and hands off the track to the DJ program. It takes the hardware out of the equation.

I've never talked to anyone who's bought these units that has not experienced anything other than pain and problems with them. There's a great disappointment factor with them, because they hold out so much promise, only to let you down so hard. A very expensive lesson.

Mine have less than twenty hours on them, and one stopped working altogether within a month. The other lost all it's information windows, among other things. I talked to the people at Stanton, and was promised just about anything and everything, yet they never came through on any of it. I even offered to do the repairs for them if they would only send me the parts. They agreed to this also, but never delivered.

So now they sit in a corner in their fancy $200 cases I bought for them, collecting dust, and providing me with an ever present visual reminder to check the customer reviews on products before spending my hard earned money. Being the first to have the latest, and purportedly greatest DJ gear, is not always such a good idea.

Hello,

Yes I totally get your problem :( at the moment it seems only Customer Service can assist you with this issue though. Contact them and follow up on email or call them if your problem is not resolved: http://www2.gibson.com/Support.aspx

Yeah, well thanks anyway.

If I could get any help from anywhere I'd be way ahead of where I am now.

I'll try that, but to be frank I don't expect anything tangible.

Hello,

today I also experienced this problem,try removing the vynil and slipmat and check if the plastic center,turns ok,if you feel like it gets stuck on the rotations,like I did,you will need to oil lubrificate, it is very easy DIY fix,just use 2 small screwdrivers,like the little ones for clock watches,to unscrew the screw in the middle of the vinyl.then remove the plastic center,clean it underneath, and there should be another black piece left on the screw hole,remove it and apply some oil lubricant on it, I used a silicone based oil spray,I dont recommend using WD40,because it leaves residues.

080320142879.jpg080320142880.jpg080320142881.jpg080320142882.jpg080320142883.jpg

Hello,

latelly I've been trying out VDJ 7.4 ,registered copy, I own Adion DJDecks wich merged with Atomix and just found out that I can already use version 7, I will get a free upgrade do VDJ8.

so I think I found a solution for this problem, I can replicate the problem exactly has in the videos from djthundermusic

so try this: open Darouter; open Traktor load a track on a deck and change Tempo Range to 50%; and set pitch fader -50%; close traktor,you can leave darouter open; open VDJ and load a track,it will happen has in djthundermusic videos,the track will play very slow,this can be a bug,like the last message out to spin the platter..dont know...

so quit VDJ,open darouter, reset the preset TP2 and exit daRouter,open VDJ again and check the platter spinning OK .

hope it helps,give me a feedback!

the stuff I described on the post above this about oil lubrification,on the platter,is for warbly pitch shifting,when scratching,it worked great for me, never had to "warm up" the platter again, and the spinning forward got much better as well,before this fix to cue/spin forward I had to give a little nudge backward, then start spinning forward to search the cue point.