Gibson Brands Forums

2014 model predictions...

Rabs

So its coming to that time of year again when its not far from next year (how did that happen? :)) so I started wondering what Gibson will have in store for us next.. New Standards? Do we need a new one? More weird deisgns and or robot guitars?

Me personally id like them to make some Double Cuts of all types, standards, studios, juniors etc I think that they are way underrated and have the best of both worlds, the sound you want from a LP with better upper fret access like an SG...

Itd be cool if they finally came up with a good robot design.. I think what they should actually do is not to try and make them flagship products which is what they seem to try and do and instead put that technology in a studio level guitar and make it reasonably priced (so, open to a larger market) and let people get used to it.. I think that would sell better than whats been done so far and I reckon people would be more prepared to take a chance on the new tech if it was in a cheaper (well designed) model. Its like someone who wants a LP and is about to commit a lot of money on one doesn't want a robot they want that classic sound and look that they have heard on their favourite records and seen some of their favourite players play etc (IMHO).. Like that MIII maybe that would have been a good one to include either sound modelling or robotic tuning, its less precious to the fan base and will offend less people lol..

Anyway.. what do you guys reckon? What guitars would you like to see Gibson make next year?

"Early 60's" Beveling, and horn tapering on ALL SG's models,

from Jr.'s, to Custom's! Get them back to their "Glory" days,

aesthetically...IMHO. They've already made a good start, with

the new 2013 Standard, and "Original." I'd love to see them

do that, with ALL the SG models, regardless of "price point."

With Epi's versions, too!

Luddite, that I may be, I really don't give a "toss" about high

tech, or "Robot" guitars. I understand that may be JUST ME? [unsure]

And, that's OK! [biggrin]

I'd also love to see Epiphone concentrate on THEIR specific models,

more. Not so much on "Gibson" clones. And, to keep the original

spec's, of those models, regardless of where they're manufactured.

Proper USA style truss rods, and 2 hole TRC's, as they were in the

Kalamazoo period. They've done great things, recently, that way...

and in raising the quality, considerably! I'd just love to see them

go "all the way," spec wise! But, again...that may be just me???

Whatever Gibson/Epiphone does, I'm sure it will be interesting, if

nothing else. [biggrin]

CB

Luddite, that I may be, I really don't give a "toss" about high

tech, or "Robot" guitars. I understand that may be JUST ME? [unsure]

And, that's OK! [biggrin]

CB

yeah im not into the whole robot thing either but I mention it as I think that Gibson have to keep up with the market and that sort of tech on guitars is becoming increasingly used in the industry so I think that its inevitable that they will have to address it somehow...

I doubt I will ever buy one, but who knows, if its a good price and a nice guitar im open to new things, or at least trying one.. My local shop never even got any of the Firebird X or LP X guitars in so I never even got to see one (which is probably a good thing :D).. As it goes looking back on it the 2010 Standard and the Darkfire guitars looked nice compared to the X guitars.

I just thought of a good tech idea.. Either pedals or a guitar with built in sounds that you can control from a smart watch on your wrist that has a digital display of all your settings :) or something like that.. again like you im not really into that sort of thing myself but I reckon some people would love that.

I just want a regular Les Paul Standard. No locking tuners, no special pickups, no locking jacks, no robot tuning, etc, just straight ahead meat and potatoes.

And I want the LP Classic back too!

And rosewood and ebony fretboards!

I just want a regular Les Paul Standard. No locking tuners, no special pickups, no locking jacks, no robot tuning, etc, just straight ahead meat and potatoes.

Surely the LP Traditionals cover that?

I'd really like a regular old Studio with some color choices.......in gloss.

Nothing wrong with them, but I'm sick of wine red, black, white, and burst. Love to see a studio with a full run of Inverness green, Pelham blue, green, orange, purple, etc. Kind of like the Custom Pro colors, but in an affordable LP Studio.

And maybe streamline the lineup a bit more. Between 50/60/70's, future, etc.....Too many for me to figure out...lol.

NHTom

Sg Special with dot inlays and bound neck. Full face pickguard and p90's pickups. I would prefer it with bridge and stop-tail

YES...I would like to see a " proper " 1967 SG Special reissue..complete with meastro vibrola that gives you the option to remove it and go with a wraptail as Townshend had done so many times, witch hat knobs, bound neck and full pick guard as Sellen said.....and I would be a happy camper and would like to place an order for one right now....hint hint Gibson!!!! [thumbup]

Keep doing what you do best, make great guitars.

Stop trying to fill every single gad domn niche yer marketing tools can come up with and remember who it is that makes you one of the three great guitar companies. People that need and will pay for a great guitar, that's who. There are lots of them, and they ask me all the time, and they profess their utter confusion and exhaustion at the stupid amounts of "options" out there. And then, they buy nothing. That exhaust them with options until they just give in, that might work at Bed Bath And Beyond, but not with guitars.

Give the paint shop something to do besides three colors, bursts, three faded colors, faded bursts, three worn colors, worn bursts. Holy crap them guys would probably rather paint my house than put another coat of WornFadedSatinHeritageRubbedDULL Cherry on something.

rct

Keep doing what you do best, make great guitars.

Stop trying to fill every single gad domn niche yer marketing tools can come up with and remember who it is that makes you one of the three great guitar companies. People that need and will pay for a great guitar, that's who. There are lots of them, and they ask me all the time, and they profess their utter confusion and exhaustion at the stupid amounts of "options" out there. And then, they buy nothing. That exhaust them with options until they just give in, that might work at Bed Bath And Beyond, but not with guitars.

Give the paint shop something to do besides three colors, bursts, three faded colors, faded bursts, three worn colors, worn bursts. Holy crap them guys would probably rather paint my house than put another coat of WornFadedSatinHeritageRubbedDULL Cherry on something.

rct

what he said!!!

I feel like an outsider because I want a gloss guitar with no pre-applied vos goo on it....lol.

NHTom

rct

This, pretty much the only thing I would like them to do differently. Ebony boards on the axes again would be nice. Rosewood just looks off with some color combos.

And ebony fretboards!

Nothing wrong with them, but I'm sick of wine red, black, white, and burst. Love to see a studio with a full run of Inverness green, Pelham blue, green, orange, purple, etc. Kind of like the Custom Pro colors, but in an affordable LP Studio.

I agree with both.

Seeing as I have no expendable income I don't care what they put out.

That said, if they could bring back the nice old pitch black "unsustainable" ebony fretboards I would love that.

But those boards are gone forever so the point is moot.

...I'd also love to see Epiphone concentrate on THEIR specific models more. Not so much on "Gibson" clones...

That's a very interesting concept, CB.

The Epiphone back catalogue has some fantastic guitars - and at all price-points - which have disappeared.

The Broadway, Emperor, Howard Roberts, DeLuxe, Triumph and Zenith arch-tops.

Solid-bodies such as the Crestwood, Wilshire, Coronet, Olympic.

The Newport, Rivoli and Embassy basses.

Thin-lines such as the Sorrento and Granada Cutaway.

Even Odd-balls such as the Al Caiola.

I know a few of these have occasionally made brief appearances as limited-run models and I suspect a lack of demand would possibly make their return not economically viable but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

P.

Well, over the years we've had the Les Paul..Standard, Custom, Junior, Special, Deluxe, Studio, Classic, Traditional, Supreme and more that I'm missing.

Now for the modern guitar player I think Gibson needs to produce the Les Paul EXTREME!

I'll let someone else come up with the specs. B)

Hi Back At Ya, Donny!

[thumbup]

...I would be all about a silver burst classic custom 2 pickup and 3 pickup :)...

I've heard rumours that Gibson is assessing the thicker slabs of Richlite - the ones normally used for kitchen work surfaces - with a view to making a Richlite solid-body Ebony Custom complete with Richlite neck and 'board.

Could be interesting, no?

Wait....is this still April 1st.?

P.

Hi Back At Ya, Donny!

[thumbup]

I've heard rumours that Gibson is assessing the thicker slabs of Richlite - the ones normally used for kitchen work surfaces - with a view to making a Richlite solid-body Ebony Custom complete with Richlite neck and 'board.

Could be interesting, no?

Wait....is this still April 1st.?

P.

Hope it will be a real solid body. I hate those chambered Richlite bodies with baked-maple tops. :D

Hope it will be a real solid body. I hate those chambered Richlite bodies with baked-maple tops. :D

Really???

I love those baked maple tops... It's those annoying robot jacks clamoring for the cables I hate.

I keep tripping over them.

Seeing as I have no expendable income I don't care what they put out.

That said, if they could bring back the nice old pitch black "unsustainable" ebony fretboards I would love that.

But those boards are gone forever so the point is moot.

Lol.. I just have no income at all at the moment(like that for almost 2 years now).. But still its nice to dream :)

And maybe streamline the lineup a bit more. Between 50/60/70's, future, etc.....Too many for me to figure out...lol.

NHTom

check this thread then :)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106410-gibson-les-paul-studio-deluxe-ii-a-boostilicious-review/

I think Gibson ought to buy Fender so they can just make more and more Les Pauls. It seems there aren't enough of them out there, so better gear up for more production and come up with more crazy names and gimmicks to sell them.

I mean really... I watched 2013 changeover with more confusing Les Paul introductions than ever. Did we need a LPJ and a LPT? More models with "Signature" in the name but not really signed or endorsed by anybody? And then all the new Les Paul Studio models. I do like some of the nicer tops and finishes they did on the studios in 2013, but the prices put you into territory where you can move up into a nicer bound model. And yes, for 2013 I saw prices go up quite a bit on nearly all models with very little change to show for it.

And for those of you that keep slamming the use of Richlite as a fretboard material, I have to question if you have a guitar with Richlite or have you even tried one? I have or have owned guitars with everything except baked maple (which I have played) and Richlite is absolutely fantastic. I think they ought to use any rosewood they have laying around the factory for heating the place and replace it with Richlite and Ebony.

Archived