Gibson Brands Forums

One For the Record Books

zombywoof

As well as posting about my transformed Banner Gibson here I posted over at UMGF. Somebody there noticed something that just about knocked me over. The top wood on my guitar was in fact book matched - but somebody screwed up and flipped one of the sides.

So the speculation now is that the guitar was meant to enter the world as a J-50 as the FON indicates. But it may have actually left the factory sporting a burst to cover up the goof up.

Strange thing is this even endears the guitar to me more.

Now your guitar is even more unique. I know what you mean about the "flaws' endearing the guitar to you even more. So now we can speculate how much the book matching or not book matching affects the tone. Apparently it doesn't detract from the tone, but....would the guitar be more or less than it's become had it been built as originally intended? Or was someone having a bad day and intended to just do it that way on purpose? Or does it perhaps sound better not bookmatched and more guitars should be built that way?

This guitar has always been the proof that quality of the top wood is not that big of a deal when it comes to sound.

JT said he thinks what happened was the wood was placed in front of one of the untrained women who did not know the two pieces were supposed to be joined in a certain way. Later on one of the few skilled men left (who did all the finishing) noticed the screw up so decided to shoot a burst on it. So he said is what I have is a guitar with a J-50 FON but which sported a burst. He also thinks it may be the only one out there. Unfortunately, the original finish was gone by the time I stumbled across the guitar.

So now the question is - is this guitar officially a J-50 or a J-45.

Archived