Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guard Hummingbird

DonCarlos

Wow. What a thin, thin, thin, paper thin pick guard on this Hummingbird. The edges are turning up and the bird is about gone. I am wondering if there is a vendor that sells a thicker version of the pick guard. Preferably a two ply version. Thought there must be some Hummingbird owners that have replaced there's.

I just bought this '07 Hummingbird two weeks ago from a local pawn shop for 5 dollars. Headstock was snapped off, so I glued and repainted the repair. I am not a luthier but it was definitely a great 5 dollar investment. Looks like it will hold up. I figured if the repair had failed I at least had a nice set of Grovers out of the deal. So now to compete the guitar I need a new pick guard.

Thanks

Those pick guards are pretty cheap I definately have to agree with you there. I have a 2008 Epi HB but the pick guard is in tact. It plays and sounds magnificently. I try never to touch the guard with my fingers or pinkie while playing which has kept the picture quite in tact. Also you should not polish the pick guard, just a barely damp cloth, or breath on the guard and GENTLY wipe it only when needed. Here is a web site where you can get a replacement for only about $13.00. It will restore the pick guard to like new. And with limited touching of the guard with your fingers or pick, it should hold up for years. Technically, most people will say that your fingers and pick should only ever touch 6 places...the six stings. Here is the web site for a new Epi Hummingbird pick guard. http://www.allparts....tic_p_2780.html

Why not look into getting a pick guard for a Gibson Hummingbird? It's way thicker, and you won't be able to simply rub off the graphics.

A pick guard from Gibson Hummingbird may be possible...but I have heard, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that Gibson takes advantage of the customer by charging them HUNDREDS of dollars for a single plastic Gibson Hummingbird pick guard unless it is a replacement for an originally bought Hummingbird that is under warranty. Other wise you are socked and rocked and rolled by Gibson for that pick guard. They don't want you buying Hummingbird pick guards...they want you buying $3000 Gibson Hummingbirds instead...so I hear any way.. .Anybody out there with more information on this issue? Please reply!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would a follow up , on my pick guard search. Bought a 3 dollar one off ebay. Doesn't fit but I will put it on another cheap dreadnought to dress it up. I contacted AllParts and they were very responsive, the pick-guard costs $13, they added that the pick guard was very thin but they wanted measurements of the original. So I sent them that.

But I also contacted Gibson. That was the better idea, they provided the part number PPG-031 and I was advised that any authorized dealer could order it. Went down to Sam Ash, and they submitted the order. The pick guard from Gibson costs $8, no shipping to the store.

I was pleasantly shocked and in fact ordered a left and a right one to make a double pick guard. I figured I could spring that for my $5 guitar. So it doesn't hurt in some cases to just contact the manufacturer and get the correct part and as in my case, pay about a third less . [thumbup]

So when they arrived I will enter another follow up in case anyone is interested. Either I will slap them on, or add another piece of pick guard material underneath each to make 2 ply PPG-031guards.

If the pickguard is thin it will allow the guitar to resonate as it should,It'll likely be self-adhesive,so no prep.

I wouldn't personally laminate it,nor would I put double pickguards on,but it's your guitar.Keep us posted!

Thanks for the input. Yeah I have been seeing that on the internet that with some guitars it is better to go with the thin guard vs. thicker one.

In the end I am going to give this Bird to my daughter Lilli, who was thrilled by the color of the guitar when she saw me working on the headstock repair. So, the double guard may be the cosmetic touch she will flip over. I ordered up an engraved truss rod cover too (Lilli Bird). I sometimes name the guitars (the expensive ones have my wife's name on them (helps in buying future ones of course).

But now after playing one of these, I just might want one for myself. That low action is usually obtained by going to a luthier. Retty nice if they are all like this. I am impressed with the playability and sound. [thumbup]

I will post the modifications after the parts come in.

Thought I would a follow up , on my pick guard search. Bought a 3 dollar one off ebay. Doesn't fit but I will put it on another cheap dreadnought to dress it up. I contacted AllParts and they were very responsive, the pick-guard costs $13, they added that the pick guard was very thin but they wanted measurements of the original. So I sent them that.

But I also contacted Gibson. That was the better idea, they provided the part number PPG-031 and I was advised that any authorized dealer could order it. Went down to Sam Ash, and they submitted the order. The pick guard from Gibson costs $8, no shipping to the store.

I was pleasantly shocked and in fact ordered a left and a right one to make a double pick guard. I figured I could spring that for my $5 guitar. So it doesn't hurt in some cases to just contact the manufacturer and get the correct part and as in my case, pay about a third less . [thumbup]

So when they arrived I will enter another follow up in case anyone is interested. Either I will slap them on, or add another piece of pick guard material underneath each to make 2 ply PPG-031guards.

Hi. I just called my local Guitar Center who is an authorized Gibson dealer...they CALLED Gibson about the Hummingbird pic guard and referred them to AllParts.com .....Gibson told GC there is no such par number PPG-031 and made no offer to replace a Gibson Hummingbird pick guard at all. They didn't even seem to care if you paid $3000 for the guitar. They don't replace Hummingbird pick guards. If that is the case, there will be no Gibsons in the future for me. If you find out about the obstinate behavior on these pick guards... Please let us know..thanks.

That sounds like a problem with whoever you talked to at GC. Sad. Try a different salesperson or music store. You can write or contact Gibson and take their reply to them. Sam Ash here in Vegas accepted all the information by phone, then checked with Gibson and then called me back and confirmed they could get it. I had to go to the store in person to pay before they ordered. When I arrived and asked for a second pickguard they contacted Gibson again and placed the order.

If there is a Sam Ash in your area perhaps call them.

Here is the note Gibson sent me when I inquired originally. It really sounds to me like you got a jerk sales person. Find a manager. Let us know what happens

Hello Don,

The part number for the Epiphone Hummingbird pick-guard is “PPG-031”. Any dealer authorized to sell Epiphone instruments could place an order for this part. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

That sounds like a problem with whoever you talked to at GC. Sad. Try a different salesperson or music store. You can write or contact Gibson and take their reply to them. Sam Ash here in Vegas accepted all the information by phone, then checked with Gibson and then called me back and confirmed they could get it. I had to go to the store in person to pay before they ordered. When I arrived and asked for a second pickguard they contacted Gibson again and placed the order.

If there is a Sam Ash in your area perhaps call them.

Here is the note Gibson sent me when I inquired originally. It really sounds to me like you got a jerk sales person. Find a manager. Let us know what happens

Hello Don,

The part number for the Epiphone Hummingbird pick-guard is "PPG-031". Any dealer authorized to sell Epiphone instruments could place an order for this part. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

...Hi. I just recalled GC..they again recalled Gibson for Gibson hummingbird pick guard part PPC-031...she spoke to.... two different Gibson managers who both told her those pick guards are not for sale, except for warranty issues to replace a defective gibson hummingbird pick guard which was under warranty, and defective. ...Is the part you are ordering an actual authentic gibson hummingbird pic guard? Three managers form Gibson have now confirmed to my local GC that they do not sell Gibson hummingbird pick guards..period...except for a person who had bought, owned, and registered a $3000 Hummingbird. Am I missing something here?....just wondering how this can be. Thanks and best regards also. Good for you if you actually got a new pic guard..I've been trying for years to get one with no success! Thanks...

...Hi. I just recalled GC..they again recalled Gibson for Gibson hummingbird pick guard part PPC-031...she spoke to.... two different Gibson managers who both told her those pick guards are not for sale, except for warranty issues to replace a defective gibson hummingbird pick guard which was under warranty, and defective. ...Is the part you are ordering an actual authentic gibson hummingbird pic guard? Three managers form Gibson have now confirmed to my local GC that they do not sell Gibson hummingbird pick guards..period...except for a person who had bought, owned, and registered a $3000 Hummingbird. Am I missing something here?....just wondering how this can be. Thanks and best regards also. Good for you if you actually got a new pic guard..I've been trying for years to get one with no success! Thanks...

Well don't know what else I can say. My order has been placed and paid for, for the pickguards from Gibson for my epi hummingbird I will post the results when they arrive. I find it odd that you got a totally different reaction and response than I got. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. So I will bide my time and see ultimately what happens.

Well don't know what else I can say. My order has been placed and paid for, for the pickguards from Gibson for my epi hummingbird I will post the results when they arrive. I find it odd that you got a totally different reaction and response than I got. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. So I will bide my time and see ultimately what happens.

Yes let us know...Gibson referred my GC to buy the pick guard from Allparts .com (the one above) and the GC manager asked me if I wanted to order that AllParts.com hummingbird pick guard since this is what Gibson instructed them to do. Good luck and bravo if you get your Gibson Hummingbird pick guard for your Epi, I'm glad for you. The AllParts.com HB pick guard is supposed to be identical to the Epi HB pick guard..so I ordered one from them. We'll see how that goes.

Yes let us know...Gibson referred my GC to buy the pick guard from Allparts .com (the one above) and the GC manager asked me if I wanted to order that AllParts.com hummingbird pick guard since this is what Gibson instructed them to do. Good luck and bravo if you get your Gibson Hummingbird pick guard for your Epi, I'm glad for you. The AllParts.com HB pick guard is supposed to be identical to the Epi HB pick guard..so I ordered one from them. We'll see how that goes.

Let me PM you with the email exchanges I had with AllParts thanking them and letting them know I was going to get a replacement via my local music store.

Today I received my Epi Hummingbird pick guard in the mail from Allparts.com today....it arrived in 3 to 5 days ..very happy with it!..it is an exact carbon copy replica of the original Epiphone Hummingbird pick guard in every single detail and cut, including pic guard size, and looks great! The most discriminating eye would not be able to tell it from the original Epi HB pick guard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived