Gibson Brands Forums

Fumes from New Case

BluesKing777

The other week when I got my vintage L-0, the case was kaput, so I went and bought a new classical size case, took my 58 LG-0 out of the Martin TKL 000 case, put the LG-0 in the new case and the vintage L-0 in the Martin TKL...... Does that make sense?

The other day when I grabbed the LG-0 for a strum (I keep it in Open G Tuning for that little convenience), the fumy smell from the new case has well and truly soaked into the LG-0 - enough to make my eyes water and put the guitar away. So I was going to sprinkle a drop or two of Sandalwood Oil I got for my 'famous' stink guitar 59 LG3 in to the case and leave it out to breathe a bit, but I am a bit worried about the LG-0 sitting out of its case for a few days because the weather here has been abysmally changeable for weeks and weeks. We get days and days of cold then a hot wind from the desert blows through and the temps double - today! When it warms up this afternoon, I will put the evaporative air-con on, but it is still quite cool at the moment

Should I wrap the LG-0 in something? It is in great condition and I don't want to wreck it.

Any suggestions?

BluesKing777.

What in the world is this new case made of? Glue fumes gassing off, its that new? I occasionally leave one of my guitars out for a few days - on a stand, but usually that is in my guitar room which is heated, and humidified. I have left one outside of this room from time to time, but not often, wife is starting to notice that there's more than one. :rolleyes:

wife is starting to notice that there's more than one. :rolleyes:

Ha!

That too!

I couldn't stand it - I fought my way out to the garage where I put the old broken Martin Thermo case until I decide what to do with that, fix or throw, and I have fought off THE SPIDER that was watching me put the old case there the other week thinking "hmmm looks nice".......

and the '58 LG0 is in the Martin case while the other case fumes away in a far corner of the back room (until the Boss gets home and then there will be probably be some shuffling around because that was all too easy.)

BluesKing777.

You'll never conquer the weather. Tune down guitars a bit when the worst conditions are up and let the guitar ride it out. I'm patenting a ziplock bag for guitars that will solve everyone's problems. The way folks here fret and hassle with atmospherics I should sell a ton of 'em.

Desert winds? Sheez.

I'm guessing I am one of the few who actually likes the smell of new cases?

I don't have any problem with them, too. Interestingly the Fender cases made in USA smell about the same as Gibson guitars, and more intense than the Canada or Costa Rica made Gibson cases. :rolleyes: Seems to be the glue as well as the finish I guess...

I would try using a few "Dryer Sheets" inside of the guitar. I would also put a few Dyer sheets in the guitar case. I would do this a few times and then let the case and guitar air out. I had a Taylor 410 that smelled really bad and the Dyer Sheets worked. You can also put dryer sheets under your car seats for a nice smell.

I also had two Ibanez hard cases that smelled realy bad, (It's the glue). I bought both Ibanez cases at the same time and they are the same case. I put 3 dryer sheets in one of the Ibanez cases and the smell went away. I did not put a dryer sheet in the other Ibanez case and the smell went away after 3-4 years.

I bought a new custom case this past spring. It smelled horrible. I left it open with no guitar inside for about two weeks, and that solved most of the problem. Now six months later, the problem is all gone.

Lars

I've had two aftermarket cases (one Gator I think) that just stunk to high heaven of solvents & chemicals. So bad that my EPI IB Texan took on the stink in just 1-2 days in the new case. Couldn't stand to even play the dang guitar w/o a respirator as I react to chemical fumes these days (no I wasn't EVER a huffer either [biggrin] )

Did the same only it took a MONTH to air out in a room I don't go into much. Now it's just fine and the stink left the Texan as well. All's good. If it's chemical solvents from the plywood, glue or ashisives then you just gotta let that totally air out. Cover up scents just mask it and you might want to not be breathing that solvent stuff.

Aster

The best thing to put the case outside in the sun and let it air out.

I bought a 1950s Lifton case for my Epiphone last year which had this nasty funky smell to it. I tried everything - Bounce sheets, a mixture of baking soda and cinnamon, coffee grounds, grass clippings, everything you could think of. Nothing worked.

What finally did work was some of that stuff you buy to spray on your carpet to get rid of cat/dog pee stink. Again this was a musty smell caused by mold which the spray actually killed. So I do not know if it would work on the new case.

It isn't the nice new case smell like the 'cough medicine addictive smells' some of them have....

It is more like the dreadful chemical smell you get driving past some factory in the middle of nowhere and you have to close the windows thinking: "What the ....are they pumping in to that river?" sort of toxic smell. I can't believe I scared another big spider off it though - it liked the smell better than under the lightstand..

BluesKing777.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my cj-165 maple used. When I got it home I noticed the case reeked of something. I couldn't figure out what it was. Something like cosmetics but also faintly rancid. For a long time I kept the guitar out of the case and used sunlight on the open case, baking soda and charcoal inside the closed case. It's not too bad now, though the odor is still there. Recently I started using this stuff called Dr. Duck's Axe Wax on my fretboards. I think maybe the smell in the 165 case might be an Axe Wax spill.

Next, a few splashes of the expensive Sandalwood Oil I bought for my famous stink guitar LG3.... $AUS90.

I still get a glorious whiff of Sandalwood every time I play it, and I only put about 3 drops in the hole. I would put a drop or 2 in some of my other cases and guitars, but I like how it gives the LG3 an extra 'experience' when I play it.

BluesKing777.

Archived