Gibson Brands Forums

Last Song You Learned

Californiaman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

I don't know if the Americans, or even the younger Brits will know this one but everyone in the UK over 35 should know it. I've always loved the piece. The BBC used it as the theme tune for the world snooker championship for decades, it's a bit of an iconic tune here although very few people know who wrote it.or what it's called....

Hey, if any other Brits (or non-brits) want to know more on how to play it just say so.

Straight No Chaser by Monk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otaoTS61PSc

Next up, Song for My Father by Horace Silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhmhZYjaqc

Of course, I just learn the intro and head, then stick an improvised section in the middle, come back to the head and end. Working out a good improvised section usually takes a lot longer than learning the head or rhythm parts.

I tend to not really learn full songs much... Obviously once you have the chorus and verse bits down you have a lot of it anyway.. But what I usually do is learn a specific chord progression section that I like or say the main lick from Rock n Roll by Led Zep or a bend or twiddle in a BB King or Hendrix solo etc..

Stuff like that.. Of course thats cos I don't play out much so I don't really need to know whole songs and if im jamming with people I can pick almost any rhythm pattern up pretty quickly so it doesn't bother me :) Even though occasionally if say im asked to play for family or friends who want to see what I can do, I sometimes get stuck as most people want too hear a full song not just bits from songs :)

I tend to not really learn full songs much... I don't play out much so I don't really need to know whole songs... occasionally if say im asked to play for family or friends who want to see what I can do, I sometimes get stuck as most people want too hear a full song not just bits from songs...

As guitar players, we tend to learn a lot of intros without learning whole songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s/

We're working on around 25 tunes total in weekly rehearsals at the moment. Bass/vocals, me on guitar, sax and drums. One we were doing last night where I swap and play bass while he plays guitar in non-standard tuning and sings is 'Solid Air' (John Martyn) which is much simpler than I had thought. The bass is fretless. If we work this one up nice and neat it's gonna sound good. Band started as a jazz/instrumental project but if we want to get any gigs at all, we need some singing. We've also tried 'Love Is Blind' but that didn't get as many votes.

As guitar players, we tend to learn a lot of intros without learning whole songs.

Whew! That's good to hear. I thought that was just me. lol

Lately I've been trying to learn things that are way beyond my ability.

Currently in the fire I have Mood for a Day and Bouree.

Bought a cheap classical and am playing around with fingerpicking.

Those are ridiculous hard for me. But it's fun challenging yourself I guess.

Maybe in another 20 years I will post it here.

Also working on Tears in Heaven off and on. Got about 10 bars of that lol.

I guess I could say Blackbird is the last song I learned.

I think I almost have it down beginning to end but damn that's a hard one to memorize.

No I IV V in that one.

I haven't been in a serious working band in almost ten years now. I'm at a pretty great spot now, I don't have to learn any songs any more. In fact, I sold all of my gigging ampliphones and cabs last week, I don't haul that stuff around anymore, best that somebody else continue their very useful lives. I only learn what I am writing at this time, or covering. Freedom!

rct

I am a hack and in addition to that I have fretting hand issues that come all the way from my back, in the last 2 months or so I have been playing a lot of power chords, I learned like 10 Social Distortion songs, I've been going to the chiro and now that i feel less stiff I am working on Soulshine by the Allman Brothers, got the intro down I hope I don't stop there... [unsure]

I tend to not really learn full songs much... Obviously once you have the chorus and verse bits down you have a lot of it anyway.. But what I usually do is learn a specific chord progression section that I like or say the main lick from Rock n Roll by Led Zep or a bend or twiddle in a BB King or Hendrix solo etc..

Stuff like that.. Of course thats cos I don't play out much so I don't really need to know whole songs and if im jamming with people I can pick almost any rhythm pattern up pretty quickly so it doesn't bother me :) Even though occasionally if say im asked to play for family or friends who want to see what I can do, I sometimes get stuck as most people want too hear a full song not just bits from songs :)

Similar situation here, this year I decided to only learn full songs, since I am a busy guy sometimes that means going for easy songs but whatever works.

I am in dire need to jam with friends but we all have kids and our timing never ever matches.

I am a hack and in addition to that I have fretting hand issues that come all the way from my back, in the last 2 months or so I have been playing a lot of power chords, I learned like 10 Social Distortion songs, I've been going to the chiro and now that i feel less stiff I am working on Soulshine by the Allman Brothers, got the intro down I hope I don't stop there... [unsure]

That was a pretty great record, Nobody Left To Run With on that one. And of course, Back Where It All Begins. With Betts and Haynes, every show was a master class in guitar playing. I loved it, Betts was just on fire for years.

rct

Hmmmm.... Learned might not be the right term. I never bother to learn how songs are actually played by the artists when I do a cover. I could tell you it's because of my artistic integrity that I refuse to imitate but it's really just a lack of talent. Truth is I'm just not a good guitar player.

Here's the last one I botched together. I was asked to submit a track for a blues album.

This is my Gibson SG through my Roland VGA7.

I don't know if the Americans, or even the younger Brits will know this one but everyone in the UK over 35 should know it. I've always loved the piece. The BBC used it as the theme tune for the world snooker championship for decades, it's a bit of an iconic tune here although very few people know who wrote it.or what it's called....

Hey, if any other Brits (or non-brits) want to know more on how to play it just say so.

Wow,,, seeing the video in your post,,,, reading the band name "The Doug Wood Band" and seeing the title "Dragracer" I still had no clue what that was.

Not until I actually clicked on it to listen to it did it strike me as an instant classic

I have not heard for a very long time. Iconic indeed.

And while I did watch snooker faithfully for a couple decades I don't think I would have ever made the connection.

That was very cool. Thanks Farns.

[thumbup]

I haven't been in a serious working band in almost ten years now. I'm at a pretty great spot now, I don't have to learn any songs any more.

rct

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. My gigging experience was very small and short lived.

The majority of my time early in my days was spent writing and playing originals with a group of friends. And while that was very fun I think it hurt my playing.

I think learning covers is a great way to learn. Something I never really did much of and I think it really hurt me. And is why I am now trying to learn some stuff.

And oh ya, not playing for 15 plus years didn't help me either ha..

I am a hack ...

Me too,, we gotta stick together man.

Here's the last one I botched together. I was asked to submit a track for a blues album.

I thought it sounded great Bro.

[thumbup]

Tman!

Good job dude!

Did you know that Boston is releasing a new album?

It's due out soon.

Thanks Cman! Tom Schultz did a really amazing thing way back then.

Can't resist..It's been such a long time..

Archived