Gibson Brands Forums

Why not ebony as a fretboard material?

SGLPEXP

If you're interested in the reason behind the change from ebony, this might have something to do with it. Well worth the time to watch it:

A very interesting argument by Mr. Taylor. This began as a reply to the video, but instead, as my needs as a Gibson customer are not being met by a Richlite fingerboard I feel compelled to ask why we can't accept a cosmetic variance? If the genus and species of the tree is the same, then I doubt that totally a color difference would matter.

So then, I must ask as I would gladly accept a multicolored, perhaps striped, ebony fretboard on a Les Paul Custom. I am compelled to ask why Gibson cannot reintroduce ebony on its guitars? What, in the economics and the arguments for or against, is preventing Gibson from using different gradations of ebony? I would be perfectly happy with a striated fingerboard, as long as it is wood and not the same material as the bench top in my laboratory.

A very interesting argument by Mr. Taylor. This began as a reply to the video, but instead, as my needs as a Gibson customer are not being met by a Richlite fingerboard I feel compelled to ask why we can't accept a cosmetic variance? If the genus and species of the tree is the same, then I doubt that totally a color difference would matter.

So then, I must ask as I would gladly accept a multicolored, perhaps striped, ebony fretboard on a Les Paul Custom. I am compelled to ask why Gibson cannot reintroduce ebony on its guitars? What, in the economics and the arguments for or against, is preventing Gibson from using different gradations of ebony? I would be perfectly happy with a striated fingerboard, as long as it is wood and not the same material as the bench top in my laboratory.

Good question and one to which I'd like to know the answer. I don't want Richlite (Gibson) or Ebonol (Yamaha) thanks very much. I want wood.

Guest Farnsbarns

Since Martin now own the only legal source of ebony I suspect they might be asking too much money and possiblydeliberately making it hard for the other manufacturers to buy. Alternatively it is possible that other manufacturers take issue with the refusal to accept orders for black ebony and believe that if they stop buying it Martin will change their policy.

It is also possible that Gibson believe (probably correctly) that more people would take issue with light ebony that Rich lite.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part and the real reason might be none of the above.

I'm all for the variation in the wood. I think that the contrasting colours of certain woods are a natural beauty. I am sure we can always 'ebonise' for true blackness using iron acetate.

My old Taylor had an ebony board, with some very slight patterning in the wood with ash coloured streaks. I liked it. It did not affect how it played, nor my perception of the instrument. What I think some people (myself included) struggle to get their heads around is non black ebony, where there is a higher proportion of colour:black. We've been conditioned to expect black ebony, in as much as we've been conditioned by precedent to expect a select few species for fretboards.

When I was buying my latest Les Paul, I was a little apprehensive about granadillo as a suitable fretboard material. I was sorely mistaken, and beyond the aesthetics of my particular board, I'm a convert.

Perhaps we as a collective are being a little narrow minded about our choices of wood. If we open our minds and try different things, we may be pleasantly surprised. I tried a singlecut guitar from a local luthier that utilised a wenge board. Felt very nice to play and was aesthetically pleasing too. I must admit, I still hold reservations about materials other than wood being used for a guitar, as I think the organic nature of the beast lends an awful lot to the character of an instrument. To that extent, perhaps Gibson and others should consider the 'smartwood' type ranges again?

I am sure that if a real blind test was carried out 95% of us would not know the difference in the feel or sound between the old and new Gibson boards, so I think it is down to looks. I for one buy my guitar based on how it looks, never seen the value is buying a new Relic guitar. So if I cannot feel or hear the difference then it will be down too.....does it look.

Jock

I think a streaked ebony fret board would look awesome! [thumbup]

I love to see a natural wood grain. Just like anything else, like the finish or body style and other things, some will love it and some won't.

My Yamaha acoustic has a streaky ebony fingerboard. I like it.

I think a streaked ebony fret board would look awesome! [thumbup]

I love to see a natural wood grain. Just like anything else, like the finish or body style and other things, some will love it and some won't.

I'm with you,, I would love it.

But only if it feels the same of course. It's all about the feel.. looks are secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived