Gibson Brands Forums

Martins have flaws ?

JuanCarlosVejar

In over four decades, I can't recall that happening to me. Humidity sounds like a pretty weak excuse if the issue is a familiar one on that forum. I don't know if I ever had my guitars continuously in any horrid, dry seasons, but I just don't remember ever having this problem.............Does this mean that Gibson is no longer the only guitar that might have a flaw? Amazing! [thumbup]

I always like Paul Hostetter's long-time-luthier's tone on matters guitar:

http://www.lutherie.net/gotoh.guitar.gear.problems.html

I first read of this a long time ago and I'm really surprised Martin hasn't done a recall. Now this comes up on the forums simultaneous to the C.F. Martin museum exhibit being ballyhooed in the press. Somewhere there is a gnashing of teeth.

My Martin 00028 EC type guitar has had loose bushings from day one. The holes are too BIG

I cant understand how Martin have let this go so long. Martins are inconsistent thats what I say?

Anyone want to buy a no-namer 000-28ec?

It sounds to me like the tuning machins are no good or the "new" guy at the Martin Factory is screwing up. I would call Martin Guitar, they will have a remedy. My 2012 HD-28 has Grover Tuners and I have had Zero problems. You think Martin would install Waverly tuners on a Martin 000-28EC. I would call Martin Guitars before trying to fix it myself. It could be that Martin already knows about the problem and they will send you a new set of tuners when you call.

I always like Paul Hostetter's long-time-luthier's tone on matters guitar:

http://www.lutherie.net/gotoh.guitar.gear.problems.html

I first read of this a long time ago and I'm really surprised Martin hasn't done a recall. Now this comes up on the forums simultaneous to the C.F. Martin museum exhibit being ballyhooed in the press. Somewhere there is a gnashing of teeth.

Martin should bite the bullet on this one and send everyone with these garbage tuners a set of Waverly's. [biggrin]

I had these Gotoh tuners on a Takamine EF360SBG made during this time. Martin should be using Schaller's on the Standard guitars and Waverly's on the vintage guitars. Gibsons should also be using Waverly's on the Vintage guitars.

This is a complete tempest in a teapot. Bushings fall out all the time if the humidity is lower than it was when the holes were drilled in the headstock, or if the drilling jig or bits happen to be worn. You can either glue the bushings in, or use a very thin wood shaving to "bush" the hole to the proper size.

This one ain't rocket science. I've seen it any number of times. Anyone who thinks it is a major flaw needs to have his head examined.

The problem of the plastic washers in some Gotoh tuners is entirely unrelated to the bushing issue.

Funny, but in the years I've been on this forum, I don't recall one post about bushings falling out. . Just sayin' . . eusa_whistle.gif

. .

Agreed, this seems to be a recurring Martin issue. Not a general one... I've only ever seen this in Martin related posts and never mentioned even if extreme humidity defect related posts.

Archived