Gibson Brands Forums

Old battered beat up Les Paul

68blues

I have over the years seen how strats and teles have taken a battering. They seem to have a character all of their own. When is comes to Les Paul's, they seem to be a hardier type of guitar. Has anyone got a photo of a battered LP. Even better, does anyone own an old warhorse. I would sure love to see them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Train wreck....that's what I mean. Wouldn't mind a look at that.

I would love to have a picture to post here. you guys would be mortified. If I ever get the chance, I will do that and get them here.

he's in canada right now, maybe wont be back for a year or so..

Believe it or not, this guitar has a little bit history, even beyond it being an authentic 59.. (not original btw) We both know one of the guys that was Shultz's (from the band Boston) guitar tech (Local boy from town) back in the 80s/90s..

He bought the guitar off Tom, and my buddy/long time band mate Bill bought it off him.

I think Bill did the most damage to it,, head stock repair required... and it wasn't done cleanly.. It wasnt' his fault, when one of the guys packed the trailer, put the guitar (of course in the case) on the top of everything... then he got in the pickup, and drove away, didn't close the back door of the trailer... yea,, BOOM! (Those were the days when the bar tab exceeded what the band got paid)...

The guitar has a neck the size of a telephone pole... one of the PUPS is original.. but that's about it. hardware missing too (knobs and such..)

1382037315[/url]' post='1439234']

I would love to have a picture to post here. you guys would be mortified. If I ever get the chance, I will do that and get them here.

he's in canada right now, maybe wont be back for a year or so..

Believe it or not, this guitar has a little bit history, even beyond it being an authentic 59.. (not original btw) We both know one of the guys that was Shultz's (from the band Boston) guitar tech (Local boy from town) back in the 80s/90s..

He bought the guitar off Tom, and my buddy/long time band mate Bill bought it off him.

I think Bill did the most damage to it,, head stock repair required... and it wasn't done cleanly.. It wasnt' his fault, when one of the guys packed the trailer, put the guitar (of course in the case) on the top of everything... then he got in the pickup, and drove away, didn't close the back door of the trailer... yea,, BOOM! (Those were the days when the bar tab exceeded what the band got paid)...

The guitar has a neck the size of a telephone pole... one of the PUPS is original.. but that's about it. hardware missing too (knobs and such..)

Man, that story gets better and better. Have you seen Neil Youngs Les Paul? They reckon it's a gold top painted black. It looks a mess but what a tone. I just wonder what that piece of junk feels like in Neil's hand.............sorry, started to think about it there. Some things are priceless I suppose.

It's a 1971 I got in 1997. I had a very rough 1946 Martin 00-18 and I wanted "something with humbuckers" so a friend swapped me the gold top. It had the original mini humbuckers but they were awful. They had a strange tone, almost sitar like. The notes weren't clear and the pickups were weak. I installed Dimarzio DLX's and I love them. The neck is chunky and it weighs a metric ton. I've had at least 15 LPs and they're all gone, this one is still here after 16 years. That should speak volumes.

I don't consider mine "battered" but it does have some sexy crazing and the pic doesn't do it justice.

1971_Les_Paul_1.jpg

Love it, my LP is only 7 years old but played hard. It's definitely showing some wear, but not nearly enough to be able to show in a picture.

Hello!

What's funny about a battered guitar? It's a tool for making music, just as much, - if crafted by skilled hands - a piece of art. People should respect other's creations.

Here is my 1978 Les Paul:

IMG_2580_zps26fd4bb1.jpg

Obviously, it was treated as an instrument deserves to be treated.

Cheers... Bence

...When is comes to Les Paul's, they seem to be a hardier type of guitar. Has anyone got a photo of a battered LP?...

Les Pauls DO seem to have been cared for better by thier owners over the decades. Perhaps because, as bobf mentions, they were expensive when new as compared with the average Strat/Tele?

None of mine are 'wrecked' but the one which gets all the playtime and gets dragged to any open-mic night is beginning to amass a few dents and nicks. She's also checking quite markedly.

She's a 1995 R0 and was in mint condition when I bought her in 2006. Here are snaps showing a few scars and the weather-checking;

Finishedthing.jpg

lo-resIMG_1779_zps932b8927.jpg

P.

GarysCam062.jpg

not "battered" but nicked & dinged in spots, w/green nickel hardware, and this pic is 3 or 4 yrs old.

bought it new in 3/89......it's an 8/88 Strings-N-Things store special 30th Ann. Plaintop.

played it hard 'til '98, gave it to my Son, he played it 'til he passed away in '00, loaned it to his best friend for a while, got it back 6 months later, undamaged ....hasn't left my sight since.

When not being played, it stays in a wallmounted plexiglass faced flight-case.

it's 14.1 lbs....1 pc back, w/a Louisville Slugger '50s neck & ebony fb....the inlays are yellowing nicely w/age.

it survived a stage amp shorting out so badly that it electrocuted me, and melted the wiring, 2 pots, & the 3-way switch inside the guitar.....after 2 "authorized repairmen" mucked the repair up horribly, I asked for guidance on this forum and rewired it myself.

Have you seen Neil Youngs Les Paul? They reckon it's a gold top painted black. It looks a mess but what a tone. I just wonder what that piece of junk feels like in Neil's hand.............sorry, started to think about it there. Some things are priceless I suppose.

yes I have,, it's a beast for sure..

None of my Les Paul's (or, any other guitar I own), are "battered" really, at all.

Some are 30+ to nearly 40 years old, as well. I "baby" them...but, I DO play them,

a LOT! I don't loan them out, nor play them wearing anything that will mar

the finish (big belt buckles, etc.). This does tend to annoy the other guitar

player, in our band, as his stuff is ALL "Trashed" to varying degrees. :rolleyes:

DSC_0030.jpg

All, are at least 10 years old, the bottom 3, are (L to R) 14, 33, and 38 years old,

respectively.

Most recent LP purchase 2011 "Classic Custom" Gold Top...(Photo taken, the day I bought it.)

DSC_0012-2.jpg

CB

Yeah, by "babying them," I just mean I take really good care of them.

But, I DO play them...in fact the back of the neck, on the yellow double

cut, is almost devoid of finish/paint, these days. [biggrin] It had that "faded"

finish, anyway...so, it wore off, pretty quickly, that way. [tongue] As it will

never be a "collector's guitar," I may (at some future point) decide to

refinish it, in the same color, but with a better application. Then again,

I may just leave it alone...who knows? :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

1382200287[/url]' post='1439945']

None of my Les Paul's (or, any other guitar I own), are "battered" really, at all.

Some are 30+ to nearly 40 years old, as well. I "baby" them...but, I DO play them,

a LOT! I don't loan them out, nor play them wearing anything that will mar

the finish (big belt buckles, etc.). This does tend to annoy the other guitar

player, in our band, as his stuff is ALL "Trashed" to varying degrees. :rolleyes:

DSC_0030.jpg

All, are at least 10 years old, the bottom 3, are (L to R) 14, 33, and 38 years old,

respectively.

Most recent LP purchase 2011 "Classic Custom" Gold Top...(Photo taken, the day I bought it.)

DSC_0012-2.jpg

CB

A superlative array of guitars and no mistake.

Hello!

What's funny about a battered guitar? It's a tool for making music, just as much, - if crafted by skilled hands - a piece of art. People should respect other's creations.

Here is my 1978 Les Paul:

IMG_2580_zps26fd4bb1.jpg

Obviously, it was treated as an instrument deserves to be treated.

Cheers... Bence

Why don't they make these anymore? a special run would be cool!

Archived