Gibson Brands Forums

TKL 8826 hard shell case?

Markus1

I just got a 2012 SG Standard used from guitar center that didn't come with a case. I spent so much time and energy calling various stores, asking questions about the guitars and getting pictures sent to me that I didn't even notice the one I bought didn't have "w/ Case" in the listing.

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new case. I saw mention in a forum post that the TKL 8826 was a good case, but I have a question. As I noted in Topic Description, it's listed as an arch top case. But all of the sites I've been to that sell them have a picture of a flat top case on the listing... Even tkl.com.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it's an arch top? And do you recommend this case? I don't really need an indestructible case, I'm only a hobbyist so it would mostly sit at home aside from trips to the guitar shop or occasionally going to a friends house maybe, but I want to make sure it's a case that's going to protect the guitar properly if the case where to accidentally get knocked over or dropped or something.

Just realized I never clicked to post this... I've still been doing some looking around and saw this SKB Case: SKB-61 Hardshell Case. Does anyone have any experience with this case? Can anyone tell me which is the better case?

Biggest freaking scam over at GC, the guitar comes packed IN THE CASE and they try to sell it separately. Sorry, had to rant about that. No clue on the archtop case.

Well, this one was used, so I don't know if it had the case when they bought it. I called them and the guy that helped me out with the purchase is going to look at the ticket from when they bought it and let me know. Which, he already told me if it had a case with it, it would have been in the description, but I hoped if I called and there was one back there they might just send it. (not holding my breath though)

That being said, I wound up with a Standard that damn near looks brand new so I'm trying to downplay the annoyance of not getting the case. I don't have hard shells for any of my other guitars, but they also cost a fraction of what this cost.

The guy that owns the guitar shop here in town has told me some stories about the crap GC will do to improve profits. He worked there 6 years. Although, I have to say if you ever deal with GC online I highly suggest trying to buy from the Terra Haute store. The guy there, I think Andrew (Otter is his nickname) has gone above and beyond as far as customer service goes.

Not only did he refund my shipping for the guitar I had to take back, but he also refunded the shipping for an amp I had to return over a year ago. On top of that he's sending me a couple sets of strings and a new strap just to make me happy.

Well, this one was used, so I don't know if it had the case when they bought it. I called them and the guy that helped me out with the purchase is going to look at the ticket from when they bought it and let me know. Which, he already told me if it had a case with it, it would have been in the description, but I hoped if I called and there was one back there they might just send it. (not holding my breath though)

That being said, I wound up with a Standard that damn near looks brand new so I'm trying to downplay the annoyance of not getting the case. I don't have hard shells for any of my other guitars, but they also cost a fraction of what this cost.

The guy that owns the guitar shop here in town has told me some stories about the crap GC will do to improve profits. He worked there 6 years. Although, I have to say if you ever deal with GC online I highly suggest trying to buy from the Terra Haute store. The guy there, I think Andrew (Otter is his nickname) has gone above and beyond as far as customer service goes.

Not only did he refund my shipping for the guitar I had to take back, but he also refunded the shipping for an amp I had to return over a year ago. On top of that he's sending me a couple sets of strings and a new strap just to make me happy.

Never mind everyone. The guy at GC said it does come with a case and is about to ship it! I honestly can't believe it. The listing didn't say it came with a case, I can't believe they're sending one.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 2012 SG Standard used from guitar center that didn't come with a case. I spent so much time and energy calling various stores, asking questions about the guitars and getting pictures sent to me that I didn't even notice the one I bought didn't have "w/ Case" in the listing.

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new case. I saw mention in a forum post that the TKL 8826 was a good case, but I have a question. As I noted in Topic Description, it's listed as an arch top case. But all of the sites I've been to that sell them have a picture of a flat top case on the listing... Even tkl.com.

Can anyone confirm whether or not it's an arch top? And do you recommend this case? I don't really need an indestructible case, I'm only a hobbyist so it would mostly sit at home aside from trips to the guitar shop or occasionally going to a friends house maybe, but I want to make sure it's a case that's going to protect the guitar properly if the case where to accidentally get knocked over or dropped or something.

Just realized I never clicked to post this... I've still been doing some looking around and saw this SKB Case: SKB-61 Hardshell Case. Does anyone have any experience with this case? Can anyone tell me which is the better case?

I just bought on of these at my local GC for a Epiphone Les Paul that I got 2 weeks ago, used with a beat to crap old case and it is AWESOME. Price at GC is 144$ and it is solid with latches that are much better than the older metal ones and a better lock too.

Archived