Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Fender Amps

TheJman

Hey guys,

I got a couple of questions. The guy who is doing my bands road managing brought his Grandpa's amps up to let me check them out. He didn't realize what he was sitting on...

The first amp is a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb, and the second is a 1973 Super Reverb Silverface. What are your opinions of the amps? We had a jam the other night and I played my Les Paul through the 73 and it sounded great. All I used was a tube screamer and it really had a great tone. The 65 seems to be losing power when i start playing through it. Would a simple tube change fix the problem or could it be something more serious? I'm sorry if these seem like amateur questions, but I'm not much of a gear hound and I don't have any experience with vintage tube amps. I'm excited about these amps. I'm probably gonna use a Morley ABY switch and use the 73 for clean and bluesy overdriven tunes and use my Marshall for the songs needing more drive. You guys got any advice, opinions, or ways to make the rig sound better? Thanks in advance...

The '65 Deluxe Reverb is very collectible and valuable; a quick search of Ebay shows pricing at $2000-2500 but I remember them going for more than that before the economy took a crap. You probably don't want to take that out on the road, use it for recording or something.

The Super Reverb, since it's a silverface, doesn't have a high collectible value but, it's a pretty loud amp. Go for it if you're playing larger venues where you can take advantage of it's power. The Super Reverb is the weapon of choice for Derek Trucks of The Allman Brothers Band but he puts heavyass Piledriver speakers in them.

Maybe I am a little off base here' date=' but the love is for that vintage tone as these amps will have. Why add a overdrive / distortion pedal in there to modify the tone. I am not trying to be rude, although I come off being that. I love the idea of a A/B pedal, sounds like a great set up[/quote']

I use a 1966 Fender Champ at home with an overdrive pedal. Even at 5 watts, it's a bit too loud for an apartment dweller like myself so, if I want dirty, I have to use a pedal. However, the pedal I use is an Analogman King of Tone and it's a really great sounding pedal that's about as natural sounding and feeling as it gets outside of cranking up an amp.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm for sure not gonna take the Deluxe Reverb out on the road. We are going into the studio in Feb and I was hoping to use it to record with. I knew the 73 wasn't as valuable as the 65 but I wasn't aware that the silverface had anything to do with it. I've never been a Fender amp guy. I've been playing through a Marshall. The band is kinda moving towards more of a bluesy influence so i think this will help the sound out a bunch. Thanks for the help... keep it coming! I'll try and take some pictures and put them up here in the future.

To answer your question about why i was using the overdrive pedal, I just want my leads to come through more clear and punch through the mix. I just want to have a little more of an overdriven sound when I'm playing a solo.

My rig isn't set in stone, and I'm always open for suggestions.

Archived