Gibson Brands Forums

Trimming a pickgaurd

Warriorsoul

Hello, new to the forum, I just bought a replacement pickgaurd for my '93 wine red Les Paul Studio, the only thing is I need to trim the bridge pickup slot so that it will fit, I don't want to drill another hole, so I was wondering if any one has ever run into this problem and would know how to go about trimming the plastic without ruining it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you buy an original Gibson spare part? These should match the sizes of your guitar. Is it possible for you to post some pics?

Yes it was a Gibson original, came in the shrink-wrapped "Gibson Pure" cardboard, with two small screws, which were chrome, which I wasn't going to use, as my Studio has gold hardware. I'll try to post pics shortly. When I put the new one on top of the old one, there is a noticeable difference in the cuts.

That is quite a difference! I'd be all over it with a dremel type tool to take the bulk out then some fine files to take out any burr, finishing off with some 3000 grit wetsand to improve the overall finish on the edges. At least, that's how I finished a strat scratchplate a good while back :)

I recently had to make one fit a modded guitar.

I had to buy a P90 pickguard and cut the bridge pickup notch larger as the guitar had the bridge P90 replaced with a humbucker.

I traced the outline from a humbucker pick guard, then used very sharp wire cutters to get the rough shape. I then took a very fine file and smoothed the edge to a proper look.

The cuts on mine are up against the bridge pick up ring, so any imperfections don't show, but I think you could use the same method on yours with just a lot of patience and attention to detail.

gemfinal2_zps4321eabb.jpg

NHTom

I recently had to make one fit a modded guitar.

I had to buy a P90 pickguard and cut the bridge pickup notch larger as the guitar had the bridge P90 replaced with a humbucker.

I traced the outline from a humbucker pick guard, then used very sharp wire cutters to get the rough shape. I then took a very fine file and smoothed the edge to a proper look.

The cuts on mine are up against the bridge pick up ring, so any imperfections don't show, but I think you could use the same method on yours with just a lot of patience and attention to detail.

gemfinal2_zps4321eabb.jpg

NHTom

Thanks for the info, was that pickguard a one-ply, because I had previously bought a Les Paul Custom pickgaurd because it's thicker, and had the same problem, so I bought the Studio one and had the same problem. So I was wondering if it would be harder to cut the Custom.

Thanks for the info, was that pickguard a one-ply, because I had previously bought a Les Paul Custom pickgaurd because it's thicker, and had the same problem, so I bought the Studio one and had the same problem. So I was wondering if it would be harder to cut the Custom.

The cream one I did was a single ply from the "historic" Gibson yellow packaging. Because all my cuts were up against the pickup mounting ring, I didn't have to worry about beveling or anything.

I'd still think it could be done, even with beveling, but may take more work and attention.

NHTom

Archived