Gibson Brands Forums

Straps.....what do you all use?

nick_s

My good lady wife has offered to buy me a guitar related gift for Christmas this year. Now, I've got all the guitars I need at the minute, and amps, so, I would like a new strap. I've been looking at leather straps, and see a huge variety (padded/non padded, narrow/wide etc).

The thing that gets me is the variance in price. I've seen one on the bay of E that looks like it would fit the bill perfectly for under a score (black leather, padded with sheepskin). Then I see some from companies like Levys for three times the price.

What do you guys use, and what sort of coin did you spend to get it?

20 years ago I bought about a half dozen cheap nylon straps which have good reliable ends, either hard plastic or a double thickness of leather. I'm still using them and recently bought the Ernie Ball equivalent, nylon with a leather end and dirt cheap. I felt fine about this after seeing J Page hanging his mega-expensive LP Custom on one in "Celebration Day". Big expensive leather straps are nice but don't hold the guitar any better...do they?.....I don't even have straploks....tsk!

Regards!

It all depends...

I'm often as happy with a $5-6 cotton strap as some far more expensive ones. That's almost more now even if I'm sitting for whatever and just have the strap as more or less a security blanket.

For years standing for a country/rock band saloon gig I'd use a leather strap I made myself out of saddle skirting, then added a backpacker's strap pad. Worked fine although it wasn't all that fancy.

Then too... For using the big AE boxes I have a nice new padded leather strap that's doggone near bulletproof and made for me by a local saddle and harness maker friend who's also a picker. It's wonderful on the shoulders, not sliding, etc., etc., but - takes up doggone near as much room in a guitar case as the guitar. <grin> I think it was $70-80.

m

My standard strap is the Levy's MSS3 in the normal (shorter) length. I own twenty-six of them, all coloured Tan.

http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,837;item,548;Suede-Leather-MSS3

Besides these, I still use four twenty-eight to thirty-three years old leather straps, and two different newer ones.

I've been using the Ernie Ball leather ones lately.......

Very very happy with them. Solid construction, good length, nice patterns......

I DO wish they made the same ones in just plain back or brown.

101_0140_zpsa8a44163.jpg

NHTom

what sort of coin did you spend to get it?

I hadn't bought a strap in over 20 years.

Then when I bought my Custom Classic a year ago I figured I would get a strap to go with it.

I almost had a frickin head explosion when I saw how much straps cost now.

I think I spent 40 bucks on a nice tooled levy leather strap.

Crazy.

I'm a big believer in the idea that the strap should fit the guitar. The perfect strap for my SG is not at all perfect for my Chet Atkins. I use leather straps these days. I have two very old "Pick Pocket" straps made by Silver Eagle in the 80's. One stays on my Ripper bass and the other on my Fender P Bass. I have 3 very expensive Levy straps that I like a lot. One is for my Chet, one of for my 64 Melody Maker and the last one is shared by my two flying Vs. I have another one from Long Hollow Leather, a local company, that stays on my Les Paul. Finally I have a very old hand made strap from the 60's that I got when I was 13. It stays on my SG.

Picked this Levy up at GoodWill three weeks ago for $2.99

1384270_673926835964584_1485792547_n.jpg

Just a few of my straps. The Ernie Ball's (I have a couple of those) I use on my basses.They were like $3 or $4. The leather ones with the strap locks I use on my Gibsons, about $20 if I remember correctly.

lFgbMoe.jpg

The blue one I got with a used guitar. I use that one on my Epi with these strap locks.

7PQrlot.jpg

I have two straps, have had them for decades now. Clayton leather, made in USA. I use 3.5 inch wide, both same length. One has the straplocks on normally, the other has the front, top straplock for the neck side of the guitar, in the other way, for 'splorer, SG, guitars that have the pin such that a normal straplock would have to be twisted to go in. I couldn't say what they cost it's been so long. He's still in business, and he is one of the few that makes 3 anda half inch straps.

rct

Thanks for the input chaps :)

For those with a buckle type adjustment, do any of you find difficulty getting a comfortable height? I'm used to the friction type adjusters on the vast majority of straps, and being able to adjust to an exact height.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input chaps :)

For those with a buckle type adjustment, do any of you find difficulty getting a comfortable height? I'm used to the friction type adjusters on the vast majority of straps, and being able to adjust to an exact height.

Thanks!

Never had any problems with that...

About a year or 2 ago I was at a street fair in Chicago/Wicker Park and happened upon a tent with a guy selling guitar straps made from seat belt material. I thought this design was unique and looked good so I picked one up. I find it very comfortable. :)

100_2315_zpsbae5a71a.jpg

Heres the straps I use, my electric guitar is very light so just one of those simple nylon type's, I've got another one thats red but this one matches the dark-brown natural wood finish on it better. The pick-up broke on my Epiphone Texan and I removed the end piece from the guitar so theres just a hole where it used to be so I can't use a strap with it but I was using this leather one as it was comfortable and strong.

guitarstraps_zps97e4b76a.jpeg

Another company that I want to check out is Couch straps........

They make straps and other stuff out of old stock auto upholstery.......guitar strap made from the truck liner of a Pontiac GTO....or a Mustang or Mercedes.......cool stuff.

NHTom

Another company that I want to check out is Couch straps........

They make straps and other stuff out of old stock auto upholstery.......guitar strap made from the truck liner of a Pontiac GTO....or a Mustang or Mercedes.......cool stuff.

NHTom

Their stuff is awesome, the strap with my SG on the previous page is a a Racer X from Couch. Going to pick up another one soon once I refinish my telecaster, probably going Sherwood Green... choices, choices. They also make wallets, camera straps, bags etc.

Their stuff is awesome, the strap with my SG on the previous page is a a Racer X from Couch. Going to pick up another one soon once I refinish my telecaster, probably going Sherwood Green... choices, choices. They also make wallets, camera straps, bags etc.

I bought a Racer X in Silver & Black for my son's guitar.... pretty cool looking. I have one or two from old Cadillac interiors..... I think they're pretty cheap.

I like to have a strap for each guitar, so I have quite a few. I like leather straps, but not padded ones. I've had great luck with "Red Monkey" straps (distributed by Dunlop and often available at MF, etc). Also I've been eying "Slick Straps" - designed by Earl Slick and available via GFS at great prices. Of course Moody straps are probably some of the nicest leather straps made, but I can't afford them. [biggrin]

Archived