Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking About Returning From Exile

zombywoof

As some of you know I have been in a self-imposed musical exile for quite a while now. I do play occasionally but it tends to be a pretty much informal gigs. Today I decided to stop in at a music store I had not been in for about a year. I had heard they were moving and wanted to know what was up. As is my habit I grab a guitar or two and go off to a corner where I will not get in the way of customers to play a bit. Anyway in the course of maybe 1 1/2 hours I got offered two coffeehouse gigs. One of the offers was pretty much to play filler sets and back folks at things like open mic night. Not something that really appeals to me. The other offer, however, was to become part of a duo. This guy came over when I was playing, grabbed a guitar and joined in. I have to admit it sounded pretty good and I found myself enjoying it. He is a really good player and singer (I later learned he won one of the those regional King of the Blues contest things). So anyway we exchanged phone numbers and I promised I would get back to him one way or the other.

Not sure if I will do it but if nothing else it was nice to get some compliments even though I still see myself as a hack.

So in all the world you don't have a single friend with a cell phone that could record a video and upload to youtube?

What better place to break the ice than here at the Gibson Acoustic forum? Supportive web friends will stumble all over themselves in singing your praise (regardless of the quality).

Go for it Zomby,

you know you will enjoy it... it can feel like a bit of a chore sometimes can't it...or maybe thats not the right desciption..but you know what I mean.

But once you get out there again... you remember why you do indeed play music... its a special feeling playing for someone other than ones self... and music should be shared I think.

good luck

As some of you know I have been in a self-imposed musical exile for quite a while now. I do play occasionally but it tends to be a pretty much informal gigs. Today I decided to stop in at a music store I had not been in for about a year. I had heard they were moving and wanted to know what was up. As is my habit I grab a guitar or two and go off to a corner where I will not get in the way of customers to play a bit. Anyway in the course of maybe 1 1/2 hours I got offered two coffeehouse gigs. One of the offers was pretty much to play filler sets and back folks at things like open mic night. Not something that really appeals to me. The other offer, however, was to become part of a duo. This guy came over when I was playing, grabbed a guitar and joined in. I have to admit it sounded pretty good and I found myself enjoying it. He is a really good player and singer (I later learned he won one of the those regional King of the Blues contest things). So anyway we exchanged phone numbers and I promised I would get back to him one way or the other.

Not sure if I will do it but if nothing else it was nice to get some compliments even though I still see myself as a hack.

Great story!! My skills are weak and I would love to have stuff like that happen.

I'm in my late thirties and my toddler sons are my only fans!! It's a good life. [thumbup]

Most excellent news, ZW!

Get into it! Offers like that are lonely things.

The first gig could be an nervy affair, after that, plain sailing.

BluesKing777.

Great story!! My skills are weak and I would love to have stuff like that happen.

I,m in my late thirties and my sons toddler sons are my only fans!! It's a good life. [thumbup]

One thing we need to dispel here is the notion that you have to be highly skilled to sound good on guitar. That is the special allure of this instrument: anybody (yea, even unto talentless pop star divas) can sound magnificent playing a decent instrument just by playing a few chords with a good sense of rhythm. It's designed to make the player sound good without knowing anything.

I quit gigging when I quit drinking. They went hand in hand for 35+ years. I get offers all the time and will probably get back into it as I have been in and out of the biz many times, but for now am more comfortable NOT gigging.

But, having said that, I always played bars.

Anyhow, best of luck in whatever you decide.

[thumbup]

One thing we need to dispel here is the notion that you have to be highly skilled to sound good on guitar. That is the special allure of this instrument: anybody (yea, even unto talentless pop star divas) can sound magnificent playing a decent instrument just by playing a few chords with a good sense of rhythm. It's designed to make the player sound good without knowing anything.

Definitely some truth here. I admit to a bit of insecurity owing to so many years of not gigging, a bit of arthritis in my left hand and a general lack of self discipline. But obviously my playing did make some kind of an impact on a few folks.

The guy I played with today suggested maybe we could get together and work up just a couple of tunes and then try them out at a open mic night. He seems to think the combination of his flat picking and my fingerpicking would work well. But I keep going back to the fact that when I was sitting in that store I was not thinking about what I was doing. I was just noodlin' away.

I,m in my late thirties and my sons toddler sons are my only fans!! It's a good life. [thumbup]

There is nothing quite like playing music with and for kids. Mine think I am the greatest guitar player that ever lived. I loved playing for my daughter. It was just fun working up off the wall arrangements of something like "Itsy Bitsy Spider." And since we have adopted a young 'un (he just turned three) I get to do it all over again.

Definitely some truth here. I admit to a bit of insecurity owing to so many years of not gigging, a bit of arthritis in my left hand and a general lack of self discipline. But obviously my playing did make some kind of an impact on a few folks.

The guy I played with today suggested maybe we could get together and work up just a couple of tunes and then try them out at a open mic night. He seems to think the combination of his flat picking and my fingerpicking would work well. But I keep going back to the fact that when I was sitting in that store I was not thinking about what I was doing. I was just noodlin' away.

My remark about sounding good was a reply to 101 saying his skills were too weak to garner praise, not you. I haven't heard you play, though if I'm not mistaken I did hear you boast just now. :rolleyes: You know what they say around here: without some video or audio it never happened.

That really is some thing else , to have complete strangers come up and ask you to join them in a band. Wow.

I agree with BBG, consider it a sign of destiny ... now you need to do it. Of course you many not reach the dizzy heights standard required by Jerry, but Ill bet both yourself, the singer and the audience will really enjoy themselves.

Oh, and for once I have to agree with Jerry, find a mate who can record you and post something here !

Two offers in one day?

I'd go round a few more ,

That really is some thing else , to have complete strangers come up and ask you to join them in a band. Wow.

One of the offers came from a guy who works at the store and who organizes open mics at a local coffee house. It was just do some picking along with the folks who attend. I could pretty much just do that anyway.

The other guy is I gather an electric blues player (and a pretty good one) who wants to do some acoustic stuff. I do not think it is a reflection of me being a great picker as much as there are not a lot of folks in the area playing Curley Weaver and Blind Gary Davis. So I am thinking it is more of a by default thing. You get a lot more opportunities to play when there is no competition.

ZW,

I think the guy honestly was impressed with your playing. You've spent years working on that material.

So work out a few tunes. I feel comfortable playing in duos--many of them impromptu--now. I was playing solo last week and an old buddy walked up on stage and joined me, and I was amazed at how much better I sounded when he was playing.

I understand the exile thing. I've been there. But there's lots of joy in playing with others.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived