Gibson Brands Forums

Famous recordings with SG clearly audible..

mountain2012

Could you list some?

The Doors, obviously.

The Who. It's said Townshend used the SG from '68 to '71 including the Live at Leeds album. Does anyone know if the studio albums, Who's Next and Tommy, are recorded with the SG or what tracks are?

Sabbath

AC/DC

The Cars?

Still, One of my all time favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdwVVI4B3oY

This live version, from "Wheels of Fire," was recorded at the Winterland Ballroom,

in San Francisco, and EC is using his "Fool" SG.

Other videos (like the farewell concert) he's shown using his ES-335, on this song,

but, on the original "live" WOF recording, he used his SG! [thumbup][biggrin]

And, I STILL can't listen to this version "quietly!" It has to be Cranked up!! [thumbup]

CB

Could you list some?

The Doors, obviously.

The Who. It's said Townshend used the SG from '68 to '71 including the Live at Leeds album. Does anyone know if the studio albums, Who's Next and Tommy, are recorded with the SG or what tracks are?

Sabbath

AC/DC

The Cars?

During Tommy, Pete was using SG's with P90's, not sure if they were also used on the album. There are several whole concerts on film as well with him using SG's during that time including Woodstock. By the time of Who's Next he may have moved on to Les Paul Deluxes's, you've seen the pics, the ones with the big numbers on them and the added third pickup.

One of my favs is "Bertha" played live from the Skulls & Roses Grateful Dead album. Remember them playing that live shortly after that in 72 maybe. At least at that concert Bob Weir played a burg. colored SG beauty with about 25-30 McIntosh tube power amps in a JBL Pro 30' tall stereo PA system. They really new how to do live and sound as good as your hi-fi at home too. Only concerts that weren't too loud for me as well (didn't need cig. filters stuck in my ears to prevent hearing loss). Watched a speaker blow a big spark flash & big blue smoke way up on either the left or right tower (can't remember which). A roadie came out, while they were in a 30 min jam song like Truck'n or something, climbed up the tower & changed the speaker out!!! Couldn't believe that at all.

I wonder if he started playing Jerry Garcia's SG. Jerry was playing a nice white Strat at the concert in 72 I'm thinking about and traveled to see them at several concerts that summer of 72 and into 73. Still playing the SG & Garcia on the Strat. Maybe at the Fillmore Bob W was playing the ES-335 but I don't know.

Anyway, that's my fav. SG sound from Bobby Weir. I can get the tone of mine nailed to his just fine. It's the licks that he plays that I can't get working right!! :rolleyes:

Aster

Could you list some?

The Doors, obviously.

Sabbath

AC/DC

The Cars?

Pete Townshend played P-90 equipped SGs from 1968 through the early Quadrophenia shows in 1973 so if you listen to him on Live at Leeds or Woodstock or the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus you'll get plenty of SG action.

• 2 weeks later...

Early Jethro Tull, Mick Abrahams had a few SGs

Carlos Santana, obviously

Zal Cleminson of The Alex Harvey Band always used a Standard onstage.

Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish [ a bit obscure that one ]

Noddy Holder of Slade used a nice early SG Junior on many of their hits.

Steve Marriot of Humble Pie.

Not forgetting Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Damn, Now that's what I'm talking about!!! One of my fav. songs. Just love that gritty guitar work. No matter what's another fav.

Thanks for pointing that out on a SG.

Will have to attempt to learn it.

Aster

Yeah, I saw Badfinger, "Live," in KCMO, at Memorial Hall (July 15, 1972)

with a band called "Cactus!" [thumbup]

http://www.badfingerlibrary.com/Badfinger/BadfingerinConcert/720715handbill.jpg

Love that type of guitar solo, far more, than a lot of "shredding" type

solos. But, that's just a personal preference...not a "dis" on shredding,

at all.

CB

Early Jethro Tull, Mick Abrahams had a few SGs

Carlos Santana, obviously

Zal Cleminson of The Alex Harvey Band always used a Standard onstage.

Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish [ a bit obscure that one ]

Noddy Holder of Slade used a nice early SG Junior on many of their hits.

Steve Marriot of Humble Pie.

Not forgetting Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Thanks for this knowledgeable, helpful info, John. BTW, I saw Mick Abrahams play his SG in Manchester a few times, 1968 and 69.

Cheers,

Doug

Yeah, I saw Badfinger, "Live," in KCMO, at Memorial Hall (July 15, 1972)

with a band called "Cactus!" [thumbup]

http://www.badfingerlibrary.com/Badfinger/BadfingerinConcert/720715handbill.jpg

Love that type of guitar solo, far more, than a lot of "shredding" type

solos. But, that's just a personal preference...not a "dis" on shredding,

at all.

CB

Now that's the price I could afford to pay for a concert!!! $5.50 is about right!! [biggrin] For most of the groups out now I wouldn't pay 5 cents. :rolleyes:

Badfinger would have been fun to have seen. So many back then in the 70's that were EXCELLENT.

Aster

Now that's the price I could afford to pay for a concert!!! $5.50 is about right!! [biggrin] For most of the groups out now I wouldn't pay 5 cents. :rolleyes:

Badfinger would have been fun to have seen. So many back then in the 70's that were EXCELLENT.

Aster

Yeah, I paid that same amount ($5.50) for Good seats, to see "The Beatles" at Busch Stadium,

in St. Louis, in August 1966! Now, you can't even pay that little, for the gasoline to go

'round the block, much less to any Concert, by any major act...or, even "minor" act, anymore.

Hell, I can't get a box of "Special K" cereal, for $5.50, HERE @($6.65). LOL

The Bar venues we play in, now...IF/When we DO get to play, that is...charge that or more, in

"cover charges," to see ANY band playing within. In fact, I think they charge that, for DJ's

nights, too. Maybe, even for "Karaoke nights", as well? [tongue]:rolleyes:

Everything is too expensive, now...IMHO. But, that's a whole "nuther" discussion! lol [biggrin]

CB

Archived