Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between Les Paul Std and "Plus Top Pro"

Mary255

I have a beautiful "Epiphone Les Paul Standard" in Metallic Burgundy color. I can see maple grain under the metallic paint. I am currently trying to sell it on eBay. Now I am not sure whether it is a plain Jane "Standard" or a "Plus Top Pro". Can anyone tell me the difference?

Or is it something else?

I wonder what would be a fair price to ask for? It is in perfect condition.

Thanks!

post-60119-032119400 1382284317_thumb.jpg

post-60119-088501000 1382284328_thumb.jpg

hello Mary255. Nice looking guitar. The plus top pro has a "figured" top, not plain, although your's looks quite nice. Epiphone LP Standard guitars go for about $400.00 new, so, used, $250.00 or so, maybe less (it's not a Gibson).

This is my "plus top pro" in Heritage Cherry finish

lpclose_zpse7c8e8b8.jpg

Notice the "flame".

Don't be a stranger, there is a "trading post" section, post a "for sale" there.

You need 5 posts to put a thread there.

Your guitar does look a lot like this one (from the Epiphone "plus top" site)

LesPaulStandPlusPRO_WR.jpg

google "Epiphone LP standard" as well as "Epiphone LP plus top pro", note the differences..pickups....

Sorry for being so guitar-ignorant. I am still confused.

I can see woodgrain under the metallic paint on the front of the guitar, but no woodgrain at the back. So are you saying that this is just a "standard" (not plus top)? Also would a "plus top" have these words engraved somewhere. This guitar only says "Les Paul Standard".

Thanks for reaffirming.

I think that's definitely a Standard Plus Top in Wine Red judging by your pictures.

You can see it on the unofficial wiki here.

The "Pro" revision came along in 2012, but the previous Plus Tops are still nice guitars. If you're selling it with the HSC you have in the pics, I think you could get more than $250 with the right buyer.

Archived