Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on guitar cases

ritchie69

Hi guys, I need your advice...I'm a singer, I work alot in studio sessions, as a backing vocalist in TV Shows, and I perform regularly with a band in large to small live music clubs here in italy...lately it happened to me to play my acoustic more frequently in live gigs where normally I limit myself to sing (we have new songs that require an acoustic guitar and I'm the only one with hands-free). I usually carry my J200 with a lightweight hard foam case, but I don't feel so secure with it. On the other hand I don't wanna use the original case 'cause I don't want to ruin i (it also weighs a lot), so I decided to buy another case and my choice fell on these two models:

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

The first is a SKB polyethylene case, more lighter than the traditional wood one, it attracts me for this reason.The 2nd one is a wooden case, nothing special, except for the brown tolex (which I love, it reminds me the TV case I had).Which do you prefer?

Buy one of these.

Hiscox Pro II

Guitar Case Model: PRO-GJ

Acoustic Jumbo Size Guitar Case. Suitable for Gibson J200 and large Jazz Archtop styles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HISCOX-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-PRO-GJ/dp/B007J8JRFU

Or this if you can afford it.

LAGJ Liteflight Artist

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/artistguitar_hiscox.htm

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Hiscox_LiteFlite_Artist_Jumbo_Acoustic_Guitar_Case_(LA-GJ)/HIS-LF-ART-J200

If you can afford a Hiscox they appear to be very good. About half the price of a Calton.

Check out their video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs

The only negative about the Hiscox is that they don't appear to be waterproof, if that's an issue.

The SKB's are less expensive and appear to be pretty bulletproof.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a case based on looks alone: I'm buying it to protect something I can't afford to replace.

Glad to hear your career is going well.

All the best,

FMA

My stock Gibson cases work well but from time to time there happens damage to the lining. However, they have to take this for the guitar therein. I also own two SKB cases which sadly aren't crafted as I would expect in that price range. Their edges aren't aligned when closed, and so rain may fall through the gaps. Moreover, the temperature isolation lacks for the same reason. One of these cases came stock with an American Deluxe Fender, the other one I bought as a replacement for a 31 years old worn bass case.

Interestingly the cheap Gator case I own shuts nicely, has a light weight and is also a bit of a camouflage against theft I think. Who would expect an expensive guitar in a low-budget case?

I don't have any problems with my Gator case, less I had to air it for a month cuz of the chemical solvent fumes polluting my guitar. It went away and seems pretty durable. Think it was $135-$140 (in tweed).

Love the look of the brown case. Who makes that and what's the approx price. I'd like one like that to replace a couple of black tolex cases I have.

Aster

Ritch..in my opinion the black SKB case is superior in every way. Strong, solid, heavy latches which lock..and most of, being plastic, it holds the proper humidity longer than others. I own three of these very SKB cases and love them. Many wooden cases..if the lid does not seal totally flush with the body of the case will allow air to quickly enter. The SKB seals with a steel lip lock, and seals the guitar in..air and all. I have monitored some 20 cases each with a hygrometer INSIDE to see which case best held a stable humidity level when the outside humidity rose or fell. The SKB fared the best for me...much better in fact than any Gibson, Martin, or Taylor wood case.

Thanks for your advice mates! my main concern with the Gator lightweight foam case I using now it was precisely about the insulation from temperature changes, in fact is closed by a zip from one side and on the opposite side there's a gap all along the lids...I know the Hiscox cases, a bit pricey but very well built, perhaps a little bulky...generally speaking, you think that an ABS/POLY case a offer better protection from temperature changes than a wooden one?

Not much thoughts on what would be best temp wise Ritchie, Id imagine the case with the best seal would be the one to go for..I personally prefer the the brown one in your pics tho.

On another note , don't know if many have heard about Karura Cases

http://www.karuracase.com/index.php?cPath=49_53

They are made in Thailand and the company only started a few years ago I believe... I really wanted one of these cases..They seem to be truly the best protection you can get in a guitar case

only thing is...the price was $800 18 months ago...they have now risen to $1400... so they must be doing something right !.. I think you would only really want to spend that on a case if the guitar was worth a LOT of money..and you flew with it frequently.

I was thinking of getting the Reunion Blues leather gig bag... but again $500 odd is a little too much at present.

The TV case's are a little heavy and I would not want to be damaging them... but the standard Gibson cases for my J35 does fine for gigging etc... I like a little wear and tear on something tho.

good luck

Not much thoughts on what would be best temp wise Ritchie, Id imagine the case with the best seal would be the one to go for..I personally prefer the the brown one in your pics tho.

On another note , don't know if many have heard about Karura Cases

http://www.karuracase.com/index.php?cPath=49_53

They are made in Thailand and the company only started a few years ago I believe... I really wanted one of these cases..They seem to be truly the best protection you can get in a guitar case

only thing is...the price was $800 18 months ago...they have now risen to $1400... so they must be doing something right !.. I think you would only really want to spend that on a case if the guitar was worth a LOT of money..and you flew with it frequently.

I was thinking of getting the Reunion Blues leather gig bag... but again $500 odd is a little too much at present.

The TV case's are a little heavy and I would not want to be damaging them... but the standard Gibson cases for my J35 does fine for gigging etc... I like a little wear and tear on something tho.

good luck

If your looking for a leather gig bag checkout probagg.com

Just bought one for my Tele and it's great for about half of what your looking at

...generally speaking, you think that an ABS/POLY case a offer better protection from temperature changes than a wooden one?

I'm only postulating on my answer, but I wouldn't think plastic will outperform wood for temp. changes protection. I believe, again not tested, that 1/8" thick plywood will transfer heat/cold slower than ABS/Poly. I would also presume that there's a bigger differential with wood being slower with heat transfer than cold transfer. If I get a chance I can test my cases to see if there's much difference between the two. The foam inside is where the best insulation will happen but 1/8" wood is a higher R value than a thin sheet of ABS.

That what I would think anyway. But it may be such a small "it don't make a Rat's *** difference" in more technical descriptions. [biggrin]

Aster

Archived