Gibson Brands Forums

I thought I had a J-35

String-along

After reading several different articles regarding scalloped bracing...there doesn't seem to be a uniform consensus, some people are for, others against, and I think the ones that seemed most knowledgeable say they both have their benefits. I'm pretty much back where I started, so I will leave it there.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading several different articles regarding scalloped bracing...there doesn't seem to be a uniform consensus, some people are for, others against, and I think the ones that seemed most knowledgeable say they both have their benefits. I'm pretty much back where I started, so I will leave it there.

Scalloped is better, most of the time, and definitely more desirable from a collector and player perspective. It's also pretty rare for a 30's Gibson to have scalloped bracing. You've got a real gem there, for that and many other reasons. Make no mistake.

I'm just talking more about the fantasy aspects of the guitar's construction. It was built on a production line by factory workers like all the others. Scalloping braces shouldn't take long if you're skilled and have a sharp chisel and that's all you do at your work station.

We have seen people try to over-romaticize the construction of instruments that have become very valuable. Sunburst Les Pauls, Advanced Jumbos, F-5 mandolins have all seen authors or enthusiasts try to spin some yarns about what makes their instruments special. It's usually along the lines of: old world craftsmanship, there were special workers at the factory for this instrument, they were built for tone and tested for sound, specially selected wood, and on and on trying to retroactively explain/justify why they sell for so much money today. And Joe Spann's book came along and blew up most of those myths.

Would Gibson spend a little extra time on a super premium instrument (Super 400, SJ-200, Nick Lucas Special, F-5 Master Model) to make sure it was perfect before shipping? Probably. Was there any time on the production line for budding luthiers to lovingly and patiently carve away tiny bits of wood and test by ear? Not a chance.

Gibson's factory proves that it doesn't take a master luthier or specially selected wood, or consistent specs, or tap tuning to put out an amazing guitar that sounds fantastic and lasts almost forever.

In large guitar maker's factories these days, there would only be one top bracing and tone bars that would be "tuned" and shaped...after which it would be scanned by computer and that information would then be sent to milling machines where pre-cut pieces would be shaved down to exact copies...so much for "hand craftsmanship".

Archived