Gibson Brands Forums

Need a Room Humidifier?

Fullmental Alpinist

Lately, there has been a lot of chatter on the forum about humidity and guitars. Most people who have posted seem to have too much humidity. Some of us have too little. (I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Basically, high desert.)

I've been looking for a room humidifier for the past three years but have never pulled the trigger because none of the available units seem to be without significant faults. The best advice I've received is to buy a unit expecting that you'll need to junk it at the end of the season. In other words: Pay as little as possible for a good unit.

Yesterday, I purchased a Pureguardian R4500 off of Ebay. The unit is being sold by a private company and was refurbished by the manufacturer. The price is $49 including shipping. It retails around $150 and has had good reviews.

Ebay Humidifier

The manufacturer is selling the same refurbished unit for $69, also on Ebay.

I have no affiliation with either seller. I do know Costco has been selling a unit by this manufacturer for the past couple of years.

FMA

FMA Thanks for the tip. But living in the high desert as well, I found that in the end, just using a damp-it or sponge in a baggy, and keeping the guitar in a case, is about the most effective method. I tried the room humidifier approach and spent more time monitoring the water level and cleaning up the mist residue aftermath in the room.

I hope your solution works for you. Keep us updated.

FMA Thanks for the tip. But living in the high desert as well, I found that in the end, just using a damp-it or sponge in a baggy, and keeping the guitar in a case, is about the most effective method. I tried the room humidifier approach and spent more time monitoring the water level and cleaning up the mist residue aftermath in the room.

I hope your solution works for you. Keep us updated.

Actually, DonCarlos, I use the same method you do (sponge plus an Oasis in the case) and it works great if the guitar is in the case. My skin, however, can't stay in the case. So I'll try the humidifier. I have a feeling it'll turn out to be a hassle like you said, that's why I bought cheap.

Just doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal to make a machine that blows steam into the air.

Cheers,

FMA

I've used one of these for over a year and it works best of the bunch. Since the air is filtered just before it picks up humidity there is nothing to clean up. you have to flip the filter a couple times a day and I use a humidifier protectant to keep it from getting moldy - cleaning it with Bleach every month helps, too. I've used a bunch of humidifiers - this is the first I've been happy with. Music Room stays at 45-50% humidity all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietCare-Humidifier-Technology-HCM-6009/dp/B000G0LDRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382619124&sr=8-1&keywords=hcm-6009"

Ah yes... the humidity dance. I use an Essix room humidifier, and the drop ins have now been replaced by humid-paks. The room humidifier has a sensor on it - and the room is only perhaps 12x 14 feet, if 'm diligent I can pretty must achieve a constant of around 35 to 40%, while the RH hovers in the teens and single digits. If the guitars start to go sharp - time to tweak and pay more attention.

Humidity101_zps540a21fb.jpg

I've used one of these for over a year and it works best of the bunch. Since the air is filtered just before it picks up humidity there is nothing to clean up. you have to flip the filter a couple times a day and I use a humidifier protectant to keep it from getting moldy - cleaning it with Bleach every month helps, too. I've used a bunch of humidifiers - this is the first I've been happy with. Music Room stays at 45-50% humidity all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietCare-Humidifier-Technology-HCM-6009/dp/B000G0LDRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382619124&sr=8-1&keywords=hcm-6009"

Thanks for posting that info, gibsonjunkie. That humidifier looks like just what I was looking for but couldn't find. I'm hoping the one I ordered will work out ok. If not, I'll grab one of those.

FMA

Ah yes... the humidity dance. I use an Essix room humidifier, and the drop ins have now been replaced by humid-paks. The room humidifier has a sensor on it - and the room is only perhaps 12x 14 feet, if 'm diligent I can pretty must achieve a constant of around 35 to 40%, while the RH hovers in the teens and single digits. If the guitars start to go sharp - time to tweak and pay more attention.

Nice illustration, duluthdan. I admire your guitar room. Sounds like your neck of the woods has the same humidity problems as mine. Now that I've added a humidifier to my arsenal, I hope to spend this winter without the cracks in the ends of my fingers like I usually get.

FMA

Thanks for posting that info, gibsonjunkie. That humidifier looks like just what I was looking for but couldn't find. I'm hoping the one I ordered will work out ok. If not, I'll grab one of those.

FMA

The double tank system makes it easier to refill. Plan on changing filters every couple months in heating season. There is a no-name replacement that is a lot cheaper and works great. The only drawback is the tank's tops are not square so you have to hang on when refilling them. They could tip over and spill all over - hasn't happened yet, but it looks like it could happen easily.

The double tank system makes it easier to refill. Plan on changing filters every couple months in heating season. There is a no-name replacement that is a lot cheaper and works great. The only drawback is the tank's tops are not square so you have to hang on when refilling them. They could tip over and spill all over - hasn't happened yet, but it looks like it could happen easily.

Thanks! I'm still waiting for my "bargain" humidifier to arrive. Seems to have been sent by mule train.

FMA

I just bought the same humidifier as yours. I was wondering if I always keep my guitars in their cases with in the sound-hole and/or case humidifiers, does it make a difference if I use the room humidifier ?

I just bought a room humidifier. The Honeywell Quiet Care as a matter of fact. I live in Montreal and in the winter, because of heating, the humidity level gets very low. I was wondering if I always keep my guitars in their cases with -in the sound-hole and/or case humidifiers, does it make a difference if I use the room humidifier ? Wiil the extra humidity generated by the room humidifier actually effect the humidity level in the case ? Do I need the room humidified when I play ? Which is probably not more that a couple of hours at a time? Thank's !

I was wondering if I always keep my guitars in their cases with -in the sound-hole and/or case humidifiers, does it make a difference if I use the room humidifier ? Wiil the extra humidity generated by the room humidifier actually effect the humidity level in the case ? Do I need the room humidified when I play ? Which is probably not more that a couple of hours at a time? Thank's !

If I just use my Oasis in-hole humidifiers in my guitar cases they will be bone dry in about four days. So, yes, room humidity does affect guitar-in-case humidity. But you'll have to monitor your set up to see how much.

The reverse would, I think, be true: If you're in a room with high humidity, the in-case humidifiers should take longer to deplete--or they may not deplete at all.

Of course, if you have an expensive, environmentally sealed case, the outside environment shouldn't affect the inside environment, or at least not as quickly. But i haven't tested this.

If you're in a situation where your guitar is out of its case for long periods (hours) while you're playing and recording,etc, it would be wise to keep an eye on humidity levels. If they're low, think about turning the humidifier on or sticking the guitar back in its case during breaks in play.

Well, wouldn't you know it my budget eBay humidifier arrived the other day. I still haven't a chance to try it out, but it rained the past two days so now my room is at 40 percent without the humidifier.

FMA

I live a couple hours north of duluthdan and have been pleasantly surprised with our Northern Colorado humidity this year. I haven't had to wet a case humidifier in months. I have a whole house humidifier on our central heating system and once the heater starts running daily am able to maintain 35-40% in the whole house. My music room is a spare bedroom with standard ceiling heights while the rest of the house has much higher ceilings. Consequently the spare room maintains a higher humidity (45-50% average) by keeping the door closed most of the time. I do have both sound hole and soap dish humidifiers for all of my acoustics (the electrics hang in the music room, the acoustics are cased in a closet)but I haven't used them since early summer. I keep 2 hygrometers in the music room and one more in the living room and check them all daily. After living for 20 years in the Nevada desert this feels like the tropics! I'm sure I'll have to start using the case humidifiers again in the Spring, but am loving the low maintenance going on right now :-)

Archived