Gibson Brands Forums

Top 30 greatest and best guitar players

daveinspain

Well, this is always going to be subjective, and cause disagreement, but how can you possibly have a list like that and not include Paul Kossoff, Peter Green and Rory Gallagher (don't forget, when asked by a journalist "how does it feels to best guitar player in the world" Hendricks replied "I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher". Obviously you are going to get a lot of opinions on this one.

Ian.

Yes, I saw that, Dave.

It was posted in the Lounge a wee while back. It's buried along over in page 4. Here's the link if you would like to see some more Forumites' comments.

http://forum.gibson....rs-of-all-time/

At the time there was the usual, and expected, debate as to who should have been on the list but wasn't as well as who was on the list but should have been.

One important (to me) detail was that the original compiler titled it 'Most Influential' and not 'Greatest and Best' - that title was probably the work of the person who loaded it up onto the 'tube.

Clearly the former is not neccessarily the same as the latter.

P.

Yes, I saw that, Dave.

It was posted in the Lounge a wee while back. It's buried along over in page 4. Here's the link if you would like to see some more Forumites' comments.

http://forum.gibson....rs-of-all-time/

At the time there was the usual, and expected, debate as to who should have been on the list but wasn't as well as who was on the list but should have been.

One important (to me) detail was that the original compiler titled it 'Most Influential' and not 'Greatest and Best' - that title was probably the work of the person who loaded it up onto the 'tube.

Clearly the former is not neccessarily the same as the latter.

P.

Ok, Thanks Pippy... Yeah I just had a look and see it was well discussed.... I'm just glad it wasn't me that posted it before too... :rolleyes:[scared]

I'd add "most influential for current rock pickers."

The only two that really influenced what comes outa my own head would be BB and Django.

Both "old." I played a lotta Chuck Berry in the '60s and '70s, but I'd not suggest that it changed what I really was hearing in my head even then.

Several of these guys are my age, plus or minus, (E.g. Clapton) and likely were influenced by a lotta the same stuff I was influenced by - but turned in different directions.

Frankly a bunch of these guys I'd only heard of on this forum. I'm not saying they're not "good," or "influential," just not "influential" to my generation - and that includes such as Clapton. For example, Django and BB may have influenced us both, but not pickers young enough literally to be our children, I'll wager, regardless how we may respect their playing, talent and skill.

Note that there's not one fingerpicker, from Segovia to Merle Travis, Chet to Mark Knopfler... let alone Joe Pass.

And gee, y'figure they ain't influenced a lotta pickers? Or is it too complex and not fitting the "single string and double-stop" sorta thing one has heard in rock since the mid '50s as "stolen" from jazz, blues and country for a new syncretic music style?

Heck, <chortle> I'd suggest that Bill Monroe has had far more influence on rock picking than most current rockers would care to admit.

m

Well, "influences" start small/narrow, and expand with time and experience.

As to the "Best,"...totally subjective, IMHO. That too, is constantly expanding,

and/or changing, with each generation. And, of course, by one's own preferences.

Some players, one can respect, and appreciate, but maybe not have much, if any actual

influence, on one's own style. The actual "Best" guitar players, could easily

not even be known, much less famous, to more than a few people who seek them out,

in the clubs, etc. As we all know, Most Famous doesn't always mean "Best."

CB

Glad to see Prince on there.......I think because of his pop nature and the spectacle that IS Prince, he often doesn't get credit for being a good guitar player. Some of his solo's are soulful and blistering at the same time.

Some of the others are not my cup of tea, but its not my list.

For me, A couple of the missing ones would be Joe Perry, and definitely some of the great country/bluegrass players like Roy Clark, etc.

NHTom

Archived