Gibson Brands Forums

music in a foreign language

moparguy

Do you ever listen to music that is in a foreign language. I first heard of these guys on guitar hero, they aren't around anymore but at least 2 of their song I know of are pretty good , even if I cant understand it. I looked up the lyrics to the first song and its about someone close dying, the second one is about how life can be out of control when having an affair, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHOropNg8o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkhxi9j22k

Yes. Probably, on balance, just as much as 'English'.

As I'm a Scot by birth I'd been hearing Celtic music literally since I was born. Whether Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French- or Spanish-Basque; there is a strong link between the traditional music of all these countries.

My secondary school had an annual trip to a music festival (which could be held in any one of these countries) where songs were sung in their native tongue. Incomprehensible to me, of course, but outstanding musically.

My wife is French and we listen to French radio programmes quite a bit. Oddly enough we never listen to English radio...

The French tradition of Chanson alone could take a lifetime to investigate - never mind the likes of Brel (who, admittedly, was a Belgian but sung in French), Gainsbourg, Brassens, Ferrer.

More up to date, Thomas Dutronc is well worth checking out - especially his 2007 release "Comme Un Manouche Sans Guitare".

Africa is a continent with a fantastic wealth of music. Mali and Senegal are particular favourites of mine.

Brazil produces some outstanding material. Check out Monica Salmaso's 'Moro Na Roca' for a treat.

Spain? It goes without saying.

If anyone listens to opera then they'd better get used to non-English libretti.

A friend is a lecturer in the ways of Gamelan and it is a fascinating, and integral, aspect of Indonesian (mainly Balian and Javanese) culture.

I could go on and on...

P.

...Whether Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French- or Spanish-Basque; there is a strong link between the traditional music of all these countries...

P.

Hello Pippy!

...And to much surprise of Your people, the Hungarian folk music would fit there too. I have a good friend from Scotland, He use to puzzle His relatives with Hungarian folk music. When hearing one, they all assume it belongs to an isolated Celtic tribe, and they drop they jaws when the truth is told.

Cheers... Bence

Firstly, Thanks Very Much, Bence!

I really loved those two. And I agree completely that they could easily be included amongs the 'Celtic' genre. The scales, phrasing, melodies. Everything fits in perfectly.

And Dave!

I thorougly enjoyed your 'Te Digo'! I don't know if I missed the thread where you posted the video before but it was great to see the end result of the shoot (which I DID read about).

Excellent stuff!

eusa_clap.gif...[thumbup]...eusa_clap.gif

P.

I love going to mexican restaurants where they only play traditional mexican music. I have no idea what they're saying but the guitars and horns and 3/4 time make me smile and bob my head along.

I also enjoy Japanese pop/dance music. My wife's sister lives in Japan so i've spent some time over there in the club scene and danced to many a japanese tune. [tongue]

I grew up in Mexico and listen to a few select rock bands and some other more traditional music in Spanish.

Caifanes and Mana are by far the most popular bands in Mexico generally speaking.

Heroes del Silencio are Spanish, Angeles del Infierno and Baron Rojo are tow hard rock bands from the 80's that are really good.

Check out this AC/DC-esque classic from the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdtO6U71lE

My first band where I played guitar involved playing Greek music at festivals. I was 13 years old at the time. I didn't have a bouzouki so I had to learn to play those parts on the guitar. Not easy to do with some of the Greek modes, like a Dorian one with a #4. Helped me become a better picker while teaching me about theory.

I have recordings in may foreign (to me) languages. Spanish (also in various Latin-American dialects), Portuguese (also in various African and Brazilian dialects), Italian, Yiddish, Chinese, Japanese, French, Tuvan, Bedouin, Hindi, Romanian, Egyptian, Turkish, Hungarian, and a few others.

While I can't understand the words, I can understand the music. And I find listening to "foreign" music enriches the music I make while playing Western Pop music.

Notes

I love going to mexican restaurants where they only play traditional mexican music. I have no idea what they're saying but the guitars and horns and 3/4 time make me smile and bob my head along.

I also enjoy Japanese pop/dance music. My wife's sister lives in Japan so i've spent some time over there in the club scene and danced to many a japanese tune. [tongue]

All the Mexican joints around here play Cubian music on the he radio.

The gringos don't know the difference.

I grew up in Mexico and listen to a few select rock bands and some other more traditional music in Spanish.

Caifanes and Mana are by far the most popular bands in Mexico generally speaking.

Heroes del Silencio are Spanish, Angeles del Infierno and Baron Rojo are tow hard rock bands from the 80's that are really good.

Check out this AC/DC-esque classic from the 80's

CHIDISIMO!!!!

I'm also from Mexico and my #1 favorite band of all time before I discovered NIN was Soda Stereo. Cerati is left handed but plays right handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHLqNaH5nWM

Archived